Animal Health - General Expert Forum
why does my dog have a rash on her belly and under arms

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Bella is usually full of energy and now has developed a rash on her belly, under her arms and acts like a different dog. she is just lying around and will hardly eat or drink.
The most common cause for a skin rash in dogs is a bacterial skin infection; demodex mites or ringworm (fungal) skin infection are also possible causes. On the belly and armpits, areas with very thin skin and hair, a contact reaction to chemicals on the floor, carpet or bedding is also a possibility. However none of these issues will cause lethargy, or decreased eating/drinking--in a puppy these symptoms can be caused by a viral infection such as parvovirus, or by an intestinal obstruction, and serious dehydration occurs rapidly in such a small animal. I recommend taking your puppy to a veterinarian today for exam and treatment.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD