Animal Health - General Expert Forum
why is my dog twitching

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

why is my dog twitching

hello, please can you advise, my Labrador is 13, he is on two drugs propanalol for his heart arrhythmia, and previcox for his spondylosis. when lying down, but still awake, or just standing, he starts twitching and nods, when standing i have to distract him or it looks like he may fall, it started April time, and has been getting steadily worse, could it be either one of the drugs ? he has been on the propanalol for about 3/4 years and the previcox for about 18 months, i am very worried about him, my vet does not think it could be the previcox, what is your opinion.
Type of Animal
:  
Labrador
Age of Animal
:  
13
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
labrador
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 21, 2010
Country
:  
uk
X-Ray Results
:  
has spondylosis in 3 of his lower back
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi-I am sorry to hear about your dog and glad to help.

Your dog signs seem to indicate early adverse effects which are most likely due to the PREVICOX. My recommendation is to stop this drug ASAP. Consider safe natural options for your dogs spondylosis, which I would be glad to discuss with you!

Like many NSAIDS prescribed for canine arthritis including spondylosis or arthritis of your dogs spine, serious and in some cases deadly side effects do occur. Serious side effects in dogs can occur with or without warning, and may result in death.

An article published a few years ago, titled 'Why is Fido dead? named Previcox (firocoxib), along with other NSAID drugs as being responsible for 22,000 cases of illness in dogs, almost 3,000 of which were fatal.

Previcox (as well as other NSAID dog arthritis medications including Rimadyl, Carprofen Novox, Meticam, Deramax) carry many potential adverse side effects in dogs:

Decrease or increase in appetite. (most dogs refuse food)
Vomiting.
Change in bowel movements (diarrhea, black, tarry or bloody stools).
Change in behavior (decreased or increased activity level, lack of coordination, seizure, or aggression).
Yellowing of gums, skin, or whites of the eyes (jaundiced).
Change in drinking habits (frequency or amount consumed).
Change in urination habits (frequency, color, or smell).
Change in skin (redness, scabs, or scratching).
Unexpected weight loss.
*Seizures.

It is important to stop treatment and contact your veterinarian immediately if you think your dog has a medical problem or side effect while taking PREVICOX or any other arthritis medication. The manufacturer Merial is available at 1-877-217-3543.

PREVICOX should not be given to dogs with other NSAID's (including, aspirin, carprofen, (Note: Carprofen, Vetprofen and Novox are generic labels for Rimadyl which has already killed several thousand dogs) etodolac, deracoxib, meloxicam, or tepoxalin) or corticosteroids (for example, prednisone, cortisone, dexamethasone, or triamcinolone).

We work with many dogs with various arthritis problems quite successfully and avoid steroids and non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs including Previcox and Rimadyl both of which have been responsible for the death of thousands of dogs.

If you would like to discuss this further, and/or are interested in natural canine arthritis remedies, please feel free to contact my veterinary office and I would be glad to help you.

Best Wishes
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM