Animal Surgery Expert Forum
Deobstipation & bladder rupture
About This Forum:

This forum is for pet health questions regarding surgery. Questions will be answers by a veterinarian from PetDocsOnCall

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Deobstipation & bladder rupture

My cat had a history of megacolon, and had surgery 3 years ago. He did fine (no constipation problems) until a few weeks ago when I noted he had not gone in 2 days. He was admitted to animal hospital, where his was given numerous enemas and after 2 days, treated for deobstipation and put under anestesia (sp?). The fecal matter was manually removed, and a subsequent xray supported same.  He came home, and after 2 days of sluggishness, not eating or going to the bathroom I brought him back. An xray showed his abdomen was filled with liquid, and they suspected a ruptured bladder. The recommended course of action was exploratory surgery which would most likely confirm same. For various reasons, I opted against the surgery and made the hardest decision a pet owner has to make.
I am now questioning how his bladder could have been ruptured -- the hospital indicated they there could be numerous causes, but did not provide any specifics. Given that my little guy had no history of ureological problems and that he was not very mobile right after his release, I am prone to thinking that the deobstipation or numerous enemas may have caused the rupture. Should his urine have been monitored before his release (His surgery was completed at approx 6 am, and he was released to me by 12)?  I hate to think that he suffered needlessly due to the carelessness of the care he received but can't help but to wonder what happened. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Type of Animal
:  
Feline
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Tabby
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
June 28, 2009
City
:  
West Islip
State/Province
:  
ny