Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
Does Zoloft or Wellbutrin cause weight gain?

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

I have taken several different antidepressants since 2002. At first, I was taking Celexa and when cutting out refined sugar from my diet, I lost 20 pounds. I was 32 at that time. Now, after having two children since that time and close to 40 years old. I am 40 pounds heavier. I have had many difficulties with body image and binge eating, but have been able to get the binge eating under control, for the most part. I feel as though I eat healthfully and keep track of food and calories at www.dailyplate.com. I am honest with my food intake, but am having lots of trouble getting any weight off. I recently went to a personal trainer who said that she has several clients who have had difficulty losing weight while taking Wellbutrin. I thought it was supposed to help with weight loss. Do you know if Wellbutrin or Zoloft can cause weight gain or difficulty losing weight?

As I am a clinical psychologist and not a psychiatrist or medical doctor, I will report what I have seen in my clinical practice.  Please consult the medical doctor prescribing your medications.  I have often heard individuals having a decrease in appetitte on Wellbutrin.  Wellbutrin is helpful for individuals that have bingeing behaviors.  It is counterindicated for those with anorexia and bulimia.  Anorexics report decrease appetite normally.  For bulimics the vomiting behavior can cause seizures.  In the case of zoloft, I have heard weight loss, weight gain and weight neutral.  It depends on the individual.  My hope for you is to embrace you for who you are.  Focus on your inner truth and express your feelings and needs.  Focus on healthy coping skills.  When you focus on food, weight and appearance, ask yourself if you were not focusing on this right now what would you be focusing on or feeling.  Life is to be lived and enjoyed!  Best wishes, Dr Patricia Pitts  The Bella Vita  Los Angeles, CA