Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
HELP

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

HELP

I AM A 50 YR OLD ANOREXIC 5'4.5" 97 LBS. AND HAD BEEN TOLD BY THE RENFREW CLINIC WILTON, CT AS WELL AS MY DR. AND THERAPIST, THAT I SHOULD BE IN AN INPATIENT PROGRAM. REFREW DOES HAVE ONE IN PHILADELPHIA-
SUPPOSEDLY MY INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER INPATIENT, JUST OUT -BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD LUMENOS.
THE DIETICIAN INTAKE THERAPIST AT RENFREW CALLED AND ASKED ME TO LOOK INTO MY INSURANCE - I REFUSE TO DO SO, MY  REGULAR THERAPIST BACKS ME UP AND SAYS IT IS UP TO THE CLINIC TO OBTAIN THE BEST POSSIBLE CARE FOR ME. SOULD I STAY OUT OF LOOP AND LET THEM FIGURE ALL OUT?
ALSO HAVE BORDERLINE ARRYTHMIAS AND HAVE BEEN JUST ON OCCASION FEEL PINS AND NEEDLES AT THE SOLES OF MY FEET. DOES THIS MEAN ANYTHING? COULD IT BE INTERTWINED WITH THE HEART?
YOUR INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!
JAN
Dear Jan,

I would advise you to contact your insurance company directly.  Ask them if your insurance is covered by the parity law.  Anorexia is a diagnosis covered by parity in a number of states.  If you are covered by parity, there is a possibility of getting inpatient coverage.  If you are not covered by parity, let them know of your doctor and therapist recommendation for inpatient care for anorexia.  Ask them for your insurance coverage.

You can be your best advocate.  Your doctor and therapist can be your advocate.  There are attorneys who specialize in fighting for your needs.  If you have further questions, call us at 1.877.91.BELLA.  Visit our website for more information on anorexia and treatment levels of care.

Best,

Dr. Pitts

P.S.  The pins and needles can be a starvation symptom for anorexics.  

Patricia Pitts, PhD
The Bella Vita
Los Angeles, California