Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
Is recovery possible?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Is recovery possible?

Dear Dr. Pitts,

I as struggling with my eating disorder, again.  I have bounced back and forth between anorexia and bulimia (but mostly bulimia) since I was 13.  I am now 28 and I am still ruled by my eating disorder.  I have been in a lot of therapy over those 15 years, even an out patient treatment program.  I am in school and working, so life gets stressful, but everyone has stress in their lives.  Some how my ED has gotten ahold of me again...My ED has become a part of my life, a part of me.  I purge nearly everyday (but not many multiple times a day, like I used to).   I am comfortable with it.  It is no longer hard for me to purge, it just comes up on its own, so it is no big deal to do it.  Somedays I hate the ED.  I obsess about food/weight/when I will throw up, etc.  Other days, I don't think about it at all; I throw up as if it was a normal part of everyone's day.  My family is aware of my ED, but they think it ended a few years ago when I went to out patient treatment  

I just wonder if I will ever get over this... will I ever want to give up my ED.  What makes people finally recover?  I am not in any therapy right.  I am on an extremely tight budget, so I can't afford it, plus I don't have time.  How do I let go of this?  Or am I destined to throw up my whole life?  I am just sad that I have let it get control of me again.  Do you think I ever be normal, happy and free of my ED?

Also, my hands and feet are always cold.  I can't seem to ever warm them up.  Do you know what could cause this?
Thank you in advance for your help.    
Tags: bulimia