Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
Metabolism confusion
About This Forum:

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Metabolism confusion

I have a very complex story. Throughout high school I have gone through drastic weight differences. Starting at 140 at only 5'2 in grade nine, I eventually worked my way towards 126 in grade 10, then down to 117. In 11th grade I had 2 surgeries and dropped to 100. Shortly after I was on anti-depressants, and gained around 50 pounds in only a couple of months (epic proportions). I have since stopped taking the anti-depressants, and have been bulimic for about half a year. I will resort to purging if my caloric intake exceeds 800 calories a day. I have managed to lose 15 pounds, so I am now at 135.. but I have reached a plateau. No matter what I do, I can't seem to lose any more weight. Bulimia is not working, I've tried to withhold from meals but it only results in binge eating. I think the reason I am not losing weight is because my body is in starvation mode and is holding onto the few calories I have fed myself.. but I am too scared to take on a healthy diet because at this rate I cannot afford to continue to gain weight. In order to increase my metabolism and have a healthy diet I need to almost double what I am eating in a day at this point. However, if I do start eating more.. and I going to gain more weight? Is it impossible for me to lose weight at this point? Reducing calories through purging and starving has failed, and eating more = gaining more. How can I win? I just want to be healthy, and back to 120 :( Please help.
- joanna