Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
Recovering anorexic

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

Recovering anorexic

I will start with some general detail; I am 15 years old and have struggled with anorexia for 2 years on and off. I would say i am naturally around 115 lbs but right now i weigh 88. (my height is 5'2) For the past months I have been severely restricting and eating around 200-300 cals and exercising and that is how i got to the weight of 88 lbs. I now have a lot of health issues besides the eating disorder and my parents are very worried. Basically, after going to the doctors and my mother quitting her job to look after me, I have made the decision to recover. However, I am very nervous about the process as i have read a lot of different things about recovery. I dont have a nutritionist at the moment and i hope i wont need one as i think i can do this myself. I am just not sure what to expect in terms of weight gain and how quickly i should increase the calorie intake? My biggest concern is that i have been abusing laxatives as my metabolism was so slow from the anorexia. It seemed like the only choice and now i can only go if i take a laxative.i have decided to quit them but I am scared to eat a lot in case i get constipated, i know it sounds stupid but please explain how i can speed up my metabolism and how much i should be eating. anyone with similar experience? any help will be appreciated because I really want to recover, both mentally and physically.
thank you
1 Comment
Once you start feeding yourself normal meals at regular intervals your bowels will start to respond again. There are safer ways to give them a "push" like using Colace or Miralax. Nothing about refeeding is comfortable though. You will be beyond full all day for days on end, but when the process is over you will feel so much better. Is there a place you can like an EDU that is knowledgeable in refeeding?

You're going to need a dietitian and a doctor who specialize in EDs because so many things can go wrong while you're refeeding. Don't be discouraged, it's just best to have professionals on your side that can take care of the medical portion. Good luck!