Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
Recovering anorexic
About This Forum:

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Recovering anorexic

I will start with some general detail; I am 15 years old and have struggled with anorexia for 2 years on and off. I would say i am naturally around 115 lbs but right now i weigh 88. (my height is 5'2) For the past months I have been severely restricting and eating around 200-300 cals and exercising and that is how i got to the weight of 88 lbs. I now have a lot of health issues besides the eating disorder and my parents are very worried. Basically, after going to the doctors and my mother quitting her job to look after me, I have made the decision to recover. However, I am very nervous about the process as i have read a lot of different things about recovery. I dont have a nutritionist at the moment and i hope i wont need one as i think i can do this myself. I am just not sure what to expect in terms of weight gain and how quickly i should increase the calorie intake? My biggest concern is that i have been abusing laxatives as my metabolism was so slow from the anorexia. It seemed like the only choice and now i can only go if i take a laxative.i have decided to quit them but I am scared to eat a lot in case i get constipated, i know it sounds stupid but please explain how i can speed up my metabolism and how much i should be eating. anyone with similar experience? any help will be appreciated because I really want to recover, both mentally and physically.
thank you