Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
Where do I start

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

Where do I start

My 21 year old daughter became anorexic at age 15.  She was treated for approximately 1 year at age 16 and seemed to be doing o.k. mostly.  She has been under a lot of stress lately and has lost 15 lbs or so in the last 6 months.  She live 70 miles away and it;s difficult to help her try to get help.  She knows she needs help, is depressed, knows she is getting out of control.  She has no insurance and i'm at a lose to try to help her.  I freeze up when I try to figure out what to do next.  I know I am in denial cause it's too painful to think about.  I'm aware this is not helping her...
What do I do next?  I've sent her your flyer about the free support group but i honestly feel she won't gol
1 Comment
Hi Karen, I'm sorry about your daughter. I would suggest you encourage her to get help, with the knowledge that it is her choice. She must be ready for help. Stress can trigger the disease, but sometimes meaningful people can make it worse, even though all of their intentions are good. Comments about her weight and constant reminders to eat should be avoided. It will either make her feel empowered or angry. You also may look into getting her health insurance through the state if possible, or look up free clinics in your area. I've suffered on and off from anorexia for 20 years. If I become severely stressed, it takes so little to trigger it and then the depression sets in. At first I am in denial, but once I am ready, I will seek help. Continue to encourage her, not pressure her. It's hard to watch the people we love suffer or hurt. You could help her to recognize there is a problem. The book "Dying To Be Thin" by Ira Sackner [I can't remember spelling]. This is an excellent book. It might be good for your daughter to read. It could help her to her road to recovery.