Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
Why am I so hungry all the time? Over eating is hurting me.

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

I'm an Adult. When I eat = become more hungry = binging to stop the hunger pain caused by eating. Small meals leave me more hungry. Forced to stop eating when sharp pains or fear food will come back up from a stretching stomach are greater than the over whelming hunger then I can stop. After I get a short period of not being hungry... Sometimes even then my stomach still feels hunger pain too when it's stretched out in pain. Hunger pain is at the top of my stomach usually sometimes the middle but not exiting the stomach.

Sometimes I'll go a day with out eating to get a break from the hunger but I'll end up dropping weight so that's no good either. I drink water with meals to prevent over eating but that also makes me more hungry. Only way to make the hunger go away is "not to eat at all".

I'm healthy, been checked out, no parasites, no fast flowing bowls. Weight is not an issue.

I'm wondering if maybe the hunger pain is not hunger at all and my brain is mistaking what ever pain I feel as "hunger". That would make more sense to me but no one has been able to help me. If I don't eat I won't get any sleep because the hunger pain is too strong for the first 6-7 hours. My will power gives out. If sleeping I'll wake up from hunger pain in the middle of the night to eat to be able to go back to bed. But if I binge there is no sleeping after that either so I often go with out needed sleep as I'll twist and roll with over eating pain but that's not as painful as hunger pain.

Have you seen anything like this before? I'm finding this harder and harder to believe it is hunger. Could food be pressing on a nerve and the more I eat the more it feels hunger? ect... Any advice will be useful.

Also, Is this an eating disorder like binge eating?
Like now, I just had bagels with cheese. That made me so much more hungry than before I started eating. But I'm forcing my self to stop here trying to tell my self what I'm feeling is not hunger. If I push in on my upper belly it hurts like when your hungry. When I eat enough that fills up and it won't hurt any more. Is any of this information useful? This has been years.
Can this be acid reflux or something? Keeping the stomach completely full or completely empty is what feels most comforting.
Following the idea that this may not be hunger. I bought Sodium Bicarbonate pills 650mg. Even just 1 really helps. The Sodium Bicarbonate makes me burp a-lot like fountain soda would. Pills cancel out my hunger.

Does this help find a solution? Thank you
It's stomach pain. I used to think it was hunger and would eat to stop the hunger pain but that's not it. It's not hunger pain. Once I realized that it, became just pain, not hunger. The desire to eat is completely gone. But the pain is still there. I know it's not hunger now and at least over eating is solved. I've searched this on the gastro forum and almost exactly as I described many others worded it so very similar I thought it was my posts. I also didn't care what I ate as long as it filled my stomach to make the feeling in my belly go away.

If you are over eating, binge eating to relieve hunger that also has burning or pain after you eat, maybe it's not hunger? Once you realize it's a stomach condition and not hunger the desire to eat may go away. My mouth was cleaning out the fridge, freezer and pantry like a vacuum hose. Anything to stop the hunger pain, of which now I realize was never hunger just pain. Mine is a medical issue (stomach discomfort) not a mental hunger issue, finally I understand that. And the urge to eat faded away.

I don't know why my belly hurts or how to fix it, but at least excessive over eating is resolved.