Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
am i bulimic?

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

am i bulimic?

I'M confused about having a possible eating disorder...
I gained like 14 lbs around 2 years ago, then I started making myself sick after lunch at work, then I started using laxatives and being obsessed by weight and counting calories. I lost the weight I gained and for the last year have maintained my normal weight of 124lbs, at 5 ft 5 that's perfectly healthy.
I no longer purge, or take laxatives, yet after every time I eat I just want to go and puke.
Things got better this summer, but now things have taken a turn for the worse, so I'm a bit confused. It's like I have all the thoughts, but I'm resisting to the point where I'm not actually binging and purging. So in theory I have all the mental symptoms, but none of the physical and I just don't understand what to do
Since you have had the physical symptoms in the past it would be a good idea to seek out professional help by means of a support group or therapy. A lot of the time, a big part of an eating disorder is all the mental turmoil in your head. A good support system along with therapy helps you shut out the eating disordered thoughts going around in your head and focuses you on the "here and now". You can go to The Bella Vita website at www.thebellavita.com for more information and a free eating disorder survey to help you figure out exactly how much help you may need. We also offer a free support group in Los Angeles and Woodland Hills Monday nights at 6pm. If we are not in your area, ANAD.org also has an extensive network of support groups you might be able to tap into.

Peace and Luck,

Dr. Patricia Pitts
1 Comment
A related discussion, Bulimia, i  can't not eat :( was started.