Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
edema

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

edema
I am anorexic for 2 years.  Recently I noticed edema on feet? Is this a serious condition?  Pls help.  What should I do to reduce the swelling.  My urinalysis result was normal.  What might be the cause of swelling.
Dear Mikaelaroni,

Edema, or rebound water retention, and alternating periods of dehydration are usually caused by dieting, vomiting, laxative or diuretic abuse.  Often the edema is worst when a person initially ceases vomiting and laxatives abuse completely.  Edema can be quite uncomfortable causing a person to return to their destructive behaviors.  Your body is trying to seek it’s natural water balance.  Patience is needed to get through this tough period.   Since you had an urinalysis, you are most likely under medical care.  You need to continue to be monitored by your medical doctor.  Edema can be a serious condition.  If you are not in treatment for your anorexia, take a moment to visit our website for information on anorexia and treatment ideas.

Regards,

Dr. Pitts

Patricia Pitts, PhD
The Bella Vita
Los Angeles, California

Thank you very much for your help.
Dear Mikaelaroni,

You're welcome and keep in touch.  Let me know how you're doing.

Thanks,

Dr. Pitts

Patricia Pitts, PhD
The Bella Vita
Los Angeles, California