Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
residential treatment

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

residential treatment

My therapist and medical doctor want me to go to residential treatment for my eating disorder but I don't feel like I am in need of such treatment at this time.  I believe that my depression and the grief that I am having are more important to work on then the eating disorder.  I don't see what the point of me going to residential treatment if I feel that is not what I need.  I do trust my therapist and my doctor but I feel like they are over reacting at this point and that I am fine in regards to living with the eating disorder.  Don't you feel for me to get the most out of a higher level of care that I need to be more willing to be there to make the treatment work?
I would diefinitely follow your therapist and medical doctor recommendation.  There is an excellent article in the American Journal of Psychiatry that reports individuals who enter treatment unwillingly are just as likely to benefit from treatment then those who entered willingly.  In fact, the study goes on to say those who recieve life-threatening support go on to thank their doctors later.  This has been my clinical experience over the past 28 years of treating eating disorders in all levels of care.  You may be too subjective being in the midst of your eating disorder, depression and grief to see as clearly as your therapist and doctor see.  In addition, they have the clinical and medical experience.  Living with an eating disorder will backfire.  Since you trust them, have the courage to take the leap of faith for your well being!  Wishing you clarity and wellness, Dr Patricia Pitts  The Bella Vita  Los Angeles, CA