Anxiety Community
thump like heart beat in my throat

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

thump like heart beat in my throat

why do i always have a thump like heart beat in my throat
Hello there,

Since you are posting on this forum personally i think it is due to anxiety.

There are a number of reasons that could be causing the muscle spasms in your throat. They range from an inflammation of your larynx or voice box to an enlarged thyroid cartilage, or even the effects of gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD. Having any of these problems requires that you visit the doctor immediately for a proper diagnosis.

Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box and can occur due to an allergy or an infection like a sore throat. In an inflammation of a certain part of the body, that body part will swell up as a reaction that is part of the body’s immune response. This could be one of the reasons, however, if you have not suffered an upper respiratory tract infection recently, this can be ruled out as a cause.

Another possibility is that you might have a malformation in your throat caused by the cartilage of your thyroid gland. This is usually characterized by a clicking sound that occurs when the neck is turned, along with some difficulty of swallowing. If this is the case, then the mechanism at work here is that the thyroid cartilage is rubbing against the larynx area and its muscles. While this is not a dangerous situation in any way, it can be annoying to the patient. This can be corrected by surgically correcting the size of the cartilage to avoid the rubbing together of the two parts and this is a surgery that leaves no side effects. This condition is not normal and can usually occur after some kind of trauma to the throat. Gastroesophageal reflux disease is a condition in which the lower esophageal sphincter that opens from the food pipe to the stomach refuses to close shut. This condition results in stomach acids coming up to the throat especially when the person who has the disorder is in a horizontal position, as one would be during sleep. The stomach acids can then attack the larynx and cause an inflammation. Treatment for this is a course of antacids and a lifestyle change that starts from dietary changes to a lifelong dependence on acid inhibitors.

I'm not a doctor and you should consult one and preferably an ENT.

Best regards,
M4
If its in you neck, not throat, it could be your heart beating. Look in a mirror and feel your neck on the sides (arteries), you may see the neck beat like you heart. Do you also have heart palps -normal beat per minute (60-80) but its harder and you feel it?

Does it happen in any position?

If so it can be from anxiety or medical reasons like hyper thyroid, or from meds.
its so frustrating be able to feel your heartbeat constantly im really stressing out and sometime i get a THUD in my neck and upper chest , chest fullness , and sometimes pain. im only 18 !!! i did blood test , urine , x ray and everything is completly normal. im pretty sure its my anxiety but the doctors really dont want to prescribe me nothing in case i get " addicted" but i really need it . i fear for my life everyday , stress everday. I NEVER HAVE A GOOD DAY. even weed doesnt help or maybe im not smoking enough. i wake up out my sleep with racing heart. i dont even sleep the same because my heartbeat keeps me up at night. this is ALLLLL DAY. so im pretty surre i have really really bad anxiety
FemaleTupac I get the same thing I am a 19 year old girl,  I dont drink,  do drugs.  I am toned.  I dont have any disease. After having a bout of panic and anxiety and after recovering from them I started experiencing these thuds in my upper chest or my neck, that appeared out of now here and lasted barely a second and back ro normal.  It happened for the first time while I was eating a taco which got me thinking it might be because of spicy food but nope.  They happen even when I dont eat anything.  Its quite unnerving as I am a hypochondriac.  lol Whats even more weird is the fact that barely a month before i started experiencing these thuds I had an EKG, A thyroid test,  A 24-hour holster,  and a 3D Echocardiogram of my heart and everything was normal.  Could I have developed something within a month?  Or could it be my thyroid? I might have hyperthyroid Idk my mom has thyroid as well.  Gosh I am at my wits end.  I just wanna live my life normally, like i used to a year ago.dang it.  :'/
holter*
I was going to say have your thyroid checked, definitely see your doc, there is easy answers out there. Us anxiety sufferers tend to "notice" our heartbeats and other body functions more because of the anxiety.
You need to find a doctor your #1 priority. You can't just go without help for your anxiety. Bad anxiety can lead to heart problems and other miserys. Keep looking til you find a decent doc to help. Good luck.
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms