ANXIETY
COMMUNITY
21f Headache/pain for 2 weeks..anxiety or brain tumor?!?!
by meg1005, Jun 12, 2007
I wrote a couple days ago about some symptoms I had been experiencing which inxluded lose of appetite, rushes before sleeping and headaches which have been happening now for over 2 weeks. (Posted 6/7/07) I'm a 21 yr old female who just graduated from college..the rushes at night seem to be going away but my head seems to be getting worse.

It's a pretty constant pain usually on my right side. I also get pain towards the back of my head. This is really unsual for me because I rarely ever get headaches although both my father and my brother suffer from migraines quite frequently. This pain is completely freaking me out! I'm scared I have a brain tumor..I don't experience any dizziness or blurred vision or anything but I do have a loss of appetite.

I've been to the doctor for a checkup and she looked at my heart (EKG) everything seemed good. Im now waiting on blood work. My head feels the best when i first wake up and then seems to get worse throughout the day. It's not an extreme pain just more of a dull pain/pressure. Could this be a tumor? Could I be grinding my teeth in my sleep? but wouldn't that cause my head to hurt when I wake up?! I have no idea...any thoughts would really help. I'm scared!
Member Comments (26)
by bip, Jun 12, 2007
I can't tell you what you have but I can tell you what I experience before I had a headache the right side of my head consant for 1 month it wouldn't go away I was scared it was a brain tumor and all it was tension headache from anxiety and stress. I would recommened you to go to the doctors find out what it is wrong so your mind would be eased!!!
by suzi-q, Jun 12, 2007
Your symptoms are very similar to what I used to have.  It was a dull pressure headache that never went away..It ended up being tension headaches...I had MRI's, CAT scans, EEG's...went to opthlamologist to check my eyes, allergist to check if it was allergies...I also went to 2 neurologists...the second one took me seriously and helped me.  I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety and have been on medication since.  It was a long road, but with patience and good doctors I am fine today.

I feel yours are tension headaches also, but first get to an opthamologist to check your eyes and then to a neurologist.  Then, when all is well, get to a good psychiatrist to see what your next step should be...

Best to you!!

P.S.:  It is not a brain tumor!!!  I had that same fear!
by Topher7, Jun 12, 2007
I understand where you all are coming from. In 2000 I had a real health scare..I almost died of a fluke heart virus. I recovered and am doing great but over the last 7 years have had panic attacks regarding my heart going out of rhythm..it has happened but isn't dangerous in my case. I am now married and have my first child on the way. I'm so excited. About 3 months ago I started getting tension headaches....not really headaches but vice like grip on my temples and back of head...side of head too. It was right after being told my heart was great and I could go off some meds. I guess the idea of no safety net scared me. I was put back on them or a smaller dose and things went back to normal. Lately I got them again and I was lightheaded and my eyes felt weird. I never got double vision or dizzy to pass out,,,just flush and lightheaded. All of a sudden it was a brain tumor and I wouldn't see my kid. 2 docs have done simple neurological exams and think I'm just stressed and that is why my bp is back up. I know 95% of the time it is stress. I really think it is the same thing with you. When I read these boards and see the symptoms they are so common they could include anyone. I just realized last night while talking to my wife how unreasonable I'm being and that it is really just upstairs.Google has ruined people because you can put in "brain tumor" and read 30 stories and relate.
by Topher7, Jun 12, 2007
I'd also like to add that I read that headaches for a tumor would be horrible in the morning with nasea and vomitting, etc. Mine aren't pain as much as tight and uncomfortible.
by bip, Jun 12, 2007
You are right about google if I have a pain some where ILL go to google read it and say oh my god I haVE THIS. i THINK IT MAKES EVERYONE ANXIETY WORST!!!
by Topher7, Jun 12, 2007
I know. It is good that people can be more vigilant about their health but some diseases have sad stories attached to them and there are alot on the net. If you look up symptoms for anything you can fit your symptoms in there. I mean the othe rnight I was talking to my wife and I was so worked up over a "brain tumor" that I slipped on a word and this tingle came all over me like.."there is my example of not being able to speak," Anxiety is horrible.
by bip, Jun 12, 2007
I know anxiety is horriable but we are all here to support each other. Look it me I have to get rid of my puppie cause Im moving and I can't handle it...
by meg1005, Jun 12, 2007
Thanks so much for all of your comments!! really..you don't know how much better I feel reading all of them! Deep down I too think it is stress since I just graduated from college(I had experienced panic attacks after graduating from high school but it was with my heart, fluttering, palpitations etc) but since I am a hypochondriac and like you said, google can make you think you're dying, I freak out!!! So then I stress out on top of being stressed..it's horrible!

I'm still going to go get my eyes checked out and see a neurologist just to put myself at ease though. Thanks again for all of the comments, I really appreciate it!
by canihelp, Jun 12, 2007
meg,
several years ago I had a pain on the right side of my head, and I felt as you that it must be a brain tumor or something because it just would not go away and the pain would get so bad sometimes.  It was not a headache, just hurting.  This went on for at least 2-3 months!!  Well, I tried one chiorpractor & he did no good, then I tried a different one & he gave me exercises to try & my daughter n law is a physical therapist & she was familiar with such pains too.  She worked on my neck & head (the pain was at the base of the head (next to the neck), and gave me exercises to do.   Within a day or two, the pain had gone away!!  Oh, did I mention, I did get an MRI & it showed nothing.  So, it's always good to get that if the exercises don't work.  But the stretches she showed me were amazing and worked wonderful.  They have great stretches for each part of the body that is misaligned!!
Good luck!