Anxiety Community
A different type of self mutilation?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

A different type of self mutilation?

Hey guys, I started cutting myself when I was 12 to deal with my anxiety. I eventually stopped last November but then relapsed just 2 weeks ago. I was disappointed in myself. I also found that instead of cutting I punch myself in the thigh or side during a panic attack. Everytime I do it its like a release and I feel better. Is this in place of my cutting? Also what in our brains gets a good feeling out of us hurting ourselves? I don't like doing it. I was told to talk .5mg of Valium when I have a panic attack but it leaves me so drowsy and tired.
Many people cut themselves because it gives them a sense of relief or to help them cope with a problem. Other people say that when they hurt themselves, they are trying to stop feeling lonely, angry, or hopeless. Often people who hurt themselves have low self-esteem, they may feel unloved by their family and friends, and they may have an eating disorder, an alcohol or drug problem, or may have been victims of abuse.

People who hurt themselves often keep their feelings “bottled up” inside and have a hard time letting their feelings out. These people say that feeling the pain provides a sense of relief from intense feelings. Cutting, hitting, punching, anything that causes personal physical pain can relieve the tension from bottled up sadness or anxiety. Others hurt themselves in order to “feel.” Often people who hold back strong emotions can begin feeling numb, and self-harm can be a way to cope with this because it causes them to feel something. Some people even hurt themselves because they want to fit in with others who do it.

If you are hurting yourself, PLEASE GET HELP — It is possible to overcome the urge to hurt yourself. There are other ways to find relief and cope with your emotions. Please talk to your parents, your doctor, or an adult you trust, like a teacher or religious leader.
I hope you reach out for some help. It's there if you want it.
Be strong.
Greenlydia
Thank you. :)
It is another form of self-harm, yes.  Some people say that self-harm makes pain more tangible, or distracts from the internal pain, which is difficult to care for.  It may be somewhat true, but it is not worth the cost.
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
melimeli commented on melimeli's status
mishymoshymarcy Sometimes the things that a... Comment
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms