Anxiety Community
ADHD and Anxiety

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

ADHD and Anxiety

I just went to the doctors and was diagnosed as having ADD with moderate anxiety.  I was on Lexapro for 2 years for anxiety (no ADD yet diagnosed) and I felt better, but gained 30 pounds.  Now I need to decide what I am comfortable to start taking to deal with the ADD, as it is causing problems at work (no focus, scattered, etc.)  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what meds that they were successful with (I know all meds effect people differently, but so I have an idea of whats out there).  At my next appt I need to go back to my doctor and discuss what I would like to try.

Thanks for all suggestions!
d
Namaste,

People with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) have difficulty sustaining attention and concentration. They typically exhibit inappropriate levels of activity, distractibility, and impulsivity. While ADD and ADHD are usually diagnosed in childhood, they can last (often undetected) throughout adolescence into adulthood. If left untreated, the disorder can have long-term effects on a person s ability to function well in social situations and to do well at school or work. Over time, those with untreated ADD or ADHD can be at high risk for developing depression, anxiety disorders, or other emotional problems.

Both ADD and ADHD are very complex conditions; an individual with either of the disorders may have very different symptoms than another person who has the same disorder. Although not all health care professionals distinguish between types of ADD and ADHD in the same way, most use the following types:

Predominantly Inattentive Type

Predominantly Hyperactive/Impulsive Type

Combined Type

Sometimes a combination of therapy and medication is indicated. Of all the medications prescribed to treat ADHD, stimulants are often the most effective. Paradoxically, medications that are mild stimulants often deliver a calming effect to the central nervous system (brain and nerves) of those with ADHD. In some cases, antihypertensives or antidepressants may be prescribed. Whenever medication is included as part of the overall treatment plan, it is extremely important to work closely with the prescribing physician or therapist.

Medications Prescribed for ADD and ADHD include:

Adderall (adderrall) - Adderall (adderrall) is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.

Adderall (adderrall) is used to treat narcolepsy and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Catapres (clonidine) - Catapres lowers blood pressure by decreasing the levels of certain chemicals in your blood. This allows your blood vessels (veins and arteries) to relax (widen)and your heart to beat more slowly and easily.

Catapres is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure).

Although not approved by the FDA for these purposes, Catapres has also been used to relieve alcohol withdrawal, as an aid in methadone and opiate detoxification, as an aid in quitting smoking, to treat diabetic diarrhea, to treat Tourette's Syndrome, to reduce menopausal flushing. Catapress has also been used to treat postherpetic neuralgia, to treat ulcerative colitis, and to diagnose pheochromocytoma.
Catapres may also be used for purposes other than those listed.

Cylert (pemoline) - Cylert SHOULD NOT BE USED BY PATIENTS UNTIL THERE HAS BEEN A COMPLETE DISCUSSION OF THE RISKS AND BENEFITS OF Cylert THERAPY AND WRITTEN INFORMED CONSENT HAS BEEN OBTAINED. PATIENT INFORMATION/ CONSENT FORMS ARE AVAILABLE, FREE OF CHARGE, BY CALLING (847) 937-7302. PERMISSION TO USE THE PATIENT INFORMATION/CONSENT FORM BY PHOTOCOPY REPRODUCTION IS HEREBY GRANTED BY ABBOTT LABORATORIES.

Because of its association with life threatening hepatic failure, Cylert should not ordinarily be considered as first line drug therapy for ADHD (see INDICATIONS AND USAGE). Because Cylert provides an observable symptomatic benefit, patients who fail to show substantial clinical benefit within 3 weeks of completing dose titration, should be withdrawn from Cylert therapy.

Since Cylert's marketing in 1975, 15 cases of acute hepatic failure have been reported to the FDA. While the absolute number of reported cases is not large, the rate of reporting ranges from 4 to 17 times the rate expected in the general population. This estimate may be conservative because of under reporting and because the long latency between initiation of Cylert treatment and the occurrence of hepatic failure may limit recognition of the association. If only a portion of actual cases were recognized and reported, the risk

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) - Dexedrine is used for treating attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity in children. It is also used to treat a type of sleep disorder (narcolepsy). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.

Dexedrine is an amphetamine. Exactly how Dexedrine works is not known. It affects certain chemicals in the brain that may help improve attention span, behavior, and certain sleep disorders.

Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine) - DextroStat is used for treating attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity in children. It is also used to treat a type of sleep disorder (narcolepsy). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.

DextroStat is an amphetamine. Exactly how DextroStat works is not known. It affects certain chemicals in the brain that may help improve attention span, behavior, and certain sleep disorders.

Ritalin (methylphenidate) - Ritalin is a mild central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.

Ritalin is used to treat attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and narcolepsy (an uncontrollable desire to sleep). When given for attention deficit disorder, Ritalin should be an integral part of a total treatment program that includes psychological, educational, and social measures.

Ritalin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

I hope this information proves helpful in discussing the issue with your doctor and I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Michael(Jikan)

Avatar n tn
Wow Michael the world should have more people like you in it it would be a better place.
Avatar n tn
My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD can anyone tell me if alcohol triggers angry outburst, impulsive behavior and ADHD symptoms?  I use to blame it on the ADHD but I think she may be an alcoholic as well.  She gets violent during her drinking bindges and has blackouts while she's awake, stays up for hours giving people around her plain ole hell.  I'm not looking forward to her coming home for Christmas as a matter of fact I'm thinking about getting a restraining order I told her if she doesn't get on her meds then she's not allowed in my house.  A part of me thinks that the alcohol will make her worse when she starts ADHD medicaiton.  HELP!  I'm ready to give up on her I can't take it anymore it's been going on for years!
I have ADD\ADHD and I also have anxiety. I think taking ADD meds/stimulants only makes my anxiety worse.
She might have started drinking to medicate herself, unknowingly.  Call a local Al Anon group to help you and support you.
opus88 commented on READY
27 mins ago
mishymoshymarcy "I don't let go of my thoug... Comment
42 mins ago
10356 commented on READY
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms