ANXIETY
COMMUNITY
AWFUL reaction to Marijuana
by lcherene, Feb 13, 2008
Four days ago, I was with a friend and I had nausea. So, my friend suggested that I (one who has never gotten high before) take a few drags off his joint. My friend is a chronic weed smoker and so I trusted that I wouldn't be smoking something crazy, even though he said it was "exotic weed". I took a few drags, hoping that I was properly inhaling. Ultimately, I took about 7 drags. After about 5 or 6 minutes, I turned to him and asked, "Excuse me, am I still alive?" He said "What?" Again, I asked "Can you hear what I'm saying, Am I still alive?" He said, "yo baby, you're trippin!" He said, "you're high, just lay back and enjoy."

The sick part is that there was NO WAY IN HE** I could enjoy that. I felt disconnected from my body...like my soul was slowly being pulled out of my body. I thought that I was DYING. My heart was beating very fast and my breathing was very rapid. I was numb from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. It was a scary feeling! I physically touched my face to make sure it was there. Then the weird part is that I KEPT GETTING HIGH. Like 30 minutes later, I'd have another strong episode and that process continued maybe 7-8 times. I thought that I was never going to see my family and friends. Then I thought about how I had never confessed Jesus as my Lord. So, I confessed right there in that moment and prayed to God. I asked God to please let me live and to get me through this. I told God that I would NEVER smoke again, but if only he could get my mind right. I seriously thought that my mind was totally gone, never to return.

I was totally paranoid about EVERYTHING, especially my existence and whether or not I was still alive. And actually, when (as I call it) "The Noia" sets in again, I will probably question whether I am really alive and if I'm really typing this message right now, or if it's all in my disconnected mind.

Now it's 4 days later, and I still feel the effects. Not as paranoid, but every now and then when I think about the "what ifs..." (like, what if it was laced or what if I'm going to die), I feel increased heart rate, distorted hearing, and feelings of worthlessness.

Question: When will I be back to "normal"?  Do I need to go to the hospital?  
Member Comments (34)
by working dog, Feb 13, 2008
looks like you got into some real potent sativa..it will creep up on you and is a very up high...and you smoked way too much..for some it will make you feel like your going to die ..you'll get such bad anxiety ....you'll feel like everything is worng....2 hits would have been better..or an indica type would have been more down and easy...but now it's like getting a shock...if you get a big enough electrical shock it can take time to feel normal..you lose sleep and all....like a week or two...so i wouldn't worry you'll be ok...your friend should have never let you do this...i would go out and get your heart rate up for 30 min a day for a while...go running or biking or fast walking....whats worse is alcohol withdrawal....at least it was for me...thats anxiety!!! good luck...billy
by Jade59, Feb 13, 2008
So you're not going to do this again, right?  The weed today is crazy stuff and can possibly be the cause of anxiety for a long time to come for you.......please, oh please let this be a lesson learned honey.   It seems that if you have nicknamed your paranoia then you are no stranger to it and weed will only make your life unbearable.  The next time your friends offer you a drag, please keep this experience in mind.  I am a long time pot smoker who quit 7mos ago, but not before it "cemented" anxiety into my body forever.  I am not saying that pot will CAUSE anxiety in an otherwise healthy person, just that it will aggravate an already existing issue.  

It's impossible to say when you will get back to "normal", but I would bet you feel better than you did yesterday so everyday you should feel a little less anxious.

Keep posting and let us know how you are and try not to be afraid, Ok?

by lcherene, Feb 13, 2008
Thank you soooo much for your comments.  It's really helping me to feel better. I'm starting to stop obsessing so much...I will definitely continue to keep you guys posted!
by Jennifer375, Feb 13, 2008
I havent read the other posts yet, but first let me tell you that what you experinced is called 'total ego loss'... basicly its where your forced to confront the great I AM... the IAM is everything and nothing.

Kinda hard to explain , but it can and is pretty frightening if your unprepaired for the initiation. I dont mean to laugh, because its not funny, but the whole experince of who am I what am I, where am I,, I am everywhere but I am no where, is very confusing and disorienting, but your description of it regarding what you asked your friend about am I alive was priceless,, I hope you can see the humor in it someday.

I know you think that what you experinced was terribly frightening and not something you'd ever want to do again (dont blame you a bit) but you may be suprised as to the 'awakening' that may come ,,  

I think the only thing you really 'messed up' on was the person you took the advice about helping the nausea with weed.... any "drug" can be powerful tool for healing in the right hands,, but in the hands of a person such as your friend who uses it constantly as an escape from reality.. thats all they do and in the wrong body like yours,, the healing effect turns into harm.

*My deepest respect and appriciation to you for showing the courage to share your experince here,, may a healing come from it despite the fear*            

Jennifer
by Jennifer375, Feb 13, 2008
Sorry, i missed your question entirely!

Your NOT going to die,, and strong overly potent stuff like that will indeed carry a lasting effect for a week afterwards in a body thats not been exposed to it before. (yes I had a teen experince myself and I thought Id never get 'over' it too)

That weird feeling WILL go away, but dont think about it if you want it to go faster (easier said than done right?) ... if I remeber right, I could pull up that 'feeling' for almost a year afterwards just by focusing on it..

Dont ask me why but I assume it leaves some kind of lasting brain memory or something. Sorry thats not very educated sounding,, but I think because of this experince you totally understand what Im talking about. :0)

*With deep apprication* Jennifer
by lcherene, Feb 13, 2008
Jennifer, what you said was so profound....forced to confront my existence.  Wow...I really appreciate ALL OF U for your support and comments.  Thanks guys!!! ( I should probably log off now, so I can make myself stop the obsessing)
by Jade59, Feb 13, 2008
Jennifer is a very profound gal.  Isn't she wonderful?  

Sorry Jenn, had to do it : )
by Jennifer375, Feb 13, 2008
LOL,,  Omgosh I just snorted so hard I got a pain behind my eye FMX! hahaha 'wipes chit eatin grin off my face' you made me blush and my husbands looking at me with a suspciouse eye like he thinks Im flirting or somethin. Thankyou, and Icherene, hope you decide to come back and hang out with us anouther day.

Your pretty profound and wonderful yourself FXM,,, Im thinkin with all the back pattin we are doin around here lately , visitors must think we are a bunch of peppy freaks haha. Ohhhhhh if only they knew! Muwhahahaha!

*Bows with Sincere Thankfulness at finding those here* Jennifer
by Jade59, Feb 13, 2008
Just keepin you on your toes girly!  : )