Anxiety Community
AWFUL reaction to Marijuana

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

AWFUL reaction to Marijuana

Four days ago, I was with a friend and I had nausea. So, my friend suggested that I (one who has never gotten high before) take a few drags off his joint. My friend is a chronic weed smoker and so I trusted that I wouldn't be smoking something crazy, even though he said it was "exotic weed". I took a few drags, hoping that I was properly inhaling. Ultimately, I took about 7 drags. After about 5 or 6 minutes, I turned to him and asked, "Excuse me, am I still alive?" He said "What?" Again, I asked "Can you hear what I'm saying, Am I still alive?" He said, "yo baby, you're trippin!" He said, "you're high, just lay back and enjoy."

The sick part is that there was NO WAY IN HE** I could enjoy that. I felt disconnected from my body...like my soul was slowly being pulled out of my body. I thought that I was DYING. My heart was beating very fast and my breathing was very rapid. I was numb from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. It was a scary feeling! I physically touched my face to make sure it was there. Then the weird part is that I KEPT GETTING HIGH. Like 30 minutes later, I'd have another strong episode and that process continued maybe 7-8 times. I thought that I was never going to see my family and friends. Then I thought about how I had never confessed Jesus as my Lord. So, I confessed right there in that moment and prayed to God. I asked God to please let me live and to get me through this. I told God that I would NEVER smoke again, but if only he could get my mind right. I seriously thought that my mind was totally gone, never to return.

I was totally paranoid about EVERYTHING, especially my existence and whether or not I was still alive. And actually, when (as I call it) "The Noia" sets in again, I will probably question whether I am really alive and if I'm really typing this message right now, or if it's all in my disconnected mind.

Now it's 4 days later, and I still feel the effects. Not as paranoid, but every now and then when I think about the "what ifs..." (like, what if it was laced or what if I'm going to die), I feel increased heart rate, distorted hearing, and feelings of worthlessness.

Question: When will I be back to "normal"?  Do I need to go to the hospital?  
looks like you got into some real potent sativa..it will creep up on you and is a very up high...and you smoked way too much..for some it will make you feel like your going to die ..you'll get such bad anxiety ....you'll feel like everything is worng....2 hits would have been better..or an indica type would have been more down and easy...but now it's like getting a shock...if you get a big enough electrical shock it can take time to feel normal..you lose sleep and all....like a week or two...so i wouldn't worry you'll be ok...your friend should have never let you do this...i would go out and get your heart rate up for 30 min a day for a while...go running or biking or fast walking....whats worse is alcohol withdrawal....at least it was for me...thats anxiety!!! good luck...billy
So you're not going to do this again, right?  The weed today is crazy stuff and can possibly be the cause of anxiety for a long time to come for you.......please, oh please let this be a lesson learned honey.   It seems that if you have nicknamed your paranoia then you are no stranger to it and weed will only make your life unbearable.  The next time your friends offer you a drag, please keep this experience in mind.  I am a long time pot smoker who quit 7mos ago, but not before it "cemented" anxiety into my body forever.  I am not saying that pot will CAUSE anxiety in an otherwise healthy person, just that it will aggravate an already existing issue.  

It's impossible to say when you will get back to "normal", but I would bet you feel better than you did yesterday so everyday you should feel a little less anxious.

Keep posting and let us know how you are and try not to be afraid, Ok?

Thank you soooo much for your comments.  It's really helping me to feel better. I'm starting to stop obsessing so much...I will definitely continue to keep you guys posted!
I havent read the other posts yet, but first let me tell you that what you experinced is called 'total ego loss'... basicly its where your forced to confront the great I AM... the IAM is everything and nothing.

Kinda hard to explain , but it can and is pretty frightening if your unprepaired for the initiation. I dont mean to laugh, because its not funny, but the whole experince of who am I what am I, where am I,, I am everywhere but I am no where, is very confusing and disorienting, but your description of it regarding what you asked your friend about am I alive was priceless,, I hope you can see the humor in it someday.

I know you think that what you experinced was terribly frightening and not something you'd ever want to do again (dont blame you a bit) but you may be suprised as to the 'awakening' that may come ,,  

I think the only thing you really 'messed up' on was the person you took the advice about helping the nausea with weed.... any "drug" can be powerful tool for healing in the right hands,, but in the hands of a person such as your friend who uses it constantly as an escape from reality.. thats all they do and in the wrong body like yours,, the healing effect turns into harm.

*My deepest respect and appriciation to you for showing the courage to share your experince here,, may a healing come from it despite the fear*            

Jennifer
Sorry, i missed your question entirely!

Your NOT going to die,, and strong overly potent stuff like that will indeed carry a lasting effect for a week afterwards in a body thats not been exposed to it before. (yes I had a teen experince myself and I thought Id never get 'over' it too)

That weird feeling WILL go away, but dont think about it if you want it to go faster (easier said than done right?) ... if I remeber right, I could pull up that 'feeling' for almost a year afterwards just by focusing on it..

Dont ask me why but I assume it leaves some kind of lasting brain memory or something. Sorry thats not very educated sounding,, but I think because of this experince you totally understand what Im talking about. :0)

*With deep apprication* Jennifer
Jennifer, what you said was so profound....forced to confront my existence.  Wow...I really appreciate ALL OF U for your support and comments.  Thanks guys!!! ( I should probably log off now, so I can make myself stop the obsessing)
Jennifer is a very profound gal.  Isn't she wonderful?  

Sorry Jenn, had to do it : )
LOL,,  Omgosh I just snorted so hard I got a pain behind my eye FMX! hahaha 'wipes chit eatin grin off my face' you made me blush and my husbands looking at me with a suspciouse eye like he thinks Im flirting or somethin. Thankyou, and Icherene, hope you decide to come back and hang out with us anouther day.

Your pretty profound and wonderful yourself FXM,,, Im thinkin with all the back pattin we are doin around here lately , visitors must think we are a bunch of peppy freaks haha. Ohhhhhh if only they knew! Muwhahahaha!

*Bows with Sincere Thankfulness at finding those here* Jennifer
Just keepin you on your toes girly!  : )
More obsessing!!  But it is definitely getting better.  Okay crew, I'm off to bed now...I'll definitely write more tomorrow....that is, if I wake up alive :-)
Lol!!  I'm so glad you're feeling better!   And even if you don't wake up alive, check in anyway.

*Sweet Dreams*
ha ha ha this post was awesome!!!
Im suprised no one brought this up yet...Butt.... Since you on an anxiety forum im just guessing that you have prescribed meds for your problems. If you are on an SSRI like prozac zoloft paxil ect This could very well be the reason for your weed freak out. THe only other thing is that it was your first time, and maybe thats why it was so profound, but lasting for a week is what made me guess you were on prozac or zoloft because these can severley alter the effects of marijuana to a bad one.

Let me know.
Good Evening!!!

I obsessed some more all day to day, but not as much.  It's definitely getting better, I just notice that I have to keep my mind occupied with "other" thoughts.  

I'm not on any prescribed meds (although I'm seriously contemplating) :-).  My cousin told me that I must deal with the guilt of smoking the herb and that it is the guilt that is eating away at me the most because my subconscious perceives smoking weed as illicit, bad, evil, etc....

Otherwise, I had a somewhat productive day.  I got a new job.  Yayy!!!  Not being employed and having financial issues definitely had me depressed amongst other nonsense in my life right now...

I'll continue to keep you guys posted...Happy to say that in this moment, I do actually believe that I am alive :-)
Just out of curiosity, were you having obsessive thoughts before this occured,? Just so you know, SSRI's up seritonin in the brain. This has the effect of a 'dream like' state in most people with relatively normal seritonin need,, in those with low seritonin, this raises it to where it needs to be which helps with more than just mood life, sertitonin controls several functions in the body besides happy feeling, such regulating body tempature. So if you didnt like your 'weed' experince, and you just happen to have normal seritonin levels,,, I dont think you'd much appricate SSRI's for feeling a little upset about life from time to time. That dream like state feels very similiar to what you experinced with your friends weed, Just a word to the wise ....

If however you were obsessing before that sounds like you may need to indeed see a psychologist anyways to ensure theres nothing else going on.

*Bows with respect*
Oh yes, you sound MUCH better.  Congratulations on your new job!!   Listen, with each day you will feel even better so try to just forget about this little mistake you made and if you're feeling guilty at all, then tell yourself that it's been 5 days and you've felt guilty long enough!  Ok?

Your going to be just fine honey and please think twice before you begin on any meds of any kind.  Unless your life is being seriously impacted by mental health issues, you're better off without them.

Please post again and give us an update

Take care of YOU.............
There must have been more than just marijuana in what you smoked.A slight dose of pcp perhaps.No pure cannibis would ever cause what you describe.No matter how potent it may have been.And as for being the first time.Most people don't feel anything the first time.I smoked for over 40 years. It dosn't do anything for me anymore exept make me anxious and paranoid.So I don't smoke it now.I've also smoked much pcp aka killerweed/kw/parsley.And I have had exactly the symptoms you described.
Good evening!!

Today was rather interesting.  Well, let me back up a little bit...

I've never taken any prescription meds for anything.  I've never been paranoid, or overly anxious about anything until AFTER my incident last Sunday.

Today was weird...I am starting to believe that it does have something to do with me possibly "opening" up a compartment in my mind where I just shoved all of the negativity in my life without dealing with these issues.  Today, I was feeling "disconnected" from myself a little bit, but also sometimes I get that feeling like I need to "pop" my ears (you know, like when you're flying in an airplane).  But also, I was a little anxious about the new job (thanks for the congrats) and I was also pissed off with myself because I was thinking about how I allowed this guy friend of mine to disrespect me and I was beating myself up about it.  It was during all of these emotions that I had the weird feelings again.  

I think that I should talk to a psychologist who can help me to address some of these recessed/repressed "issues" I have with myself/family/life issues.....What do you guys think?

I just want to get back to "normal".....but if smoking that "exotic" weed is ultimately going to help me awaken some things that I need to deal with, then I am grateful for this experience...BUT ONLY IN THAT RESPECT.  No more weed for me!!  

Anxiously awaiting your responses......
6 1/2 years ago i used to smoke pot every chance i got and then i got a hold of some that was really potenant. i started breaking out in hives and throwing up....2 hits and i thought my food was dancing across my plate a few hours later. i was so paranoid that i went to bed and covered up from head to toe and as i lay there i was afraid to fall asleep cuz' i thought i would die in my sleep..........havent touched any type of drug since then.  i smoked pot from age 14-16 (almost everyday-a few times a day) i am now almost 23 years old and i have had the best years of my life since i quit. you will be fine after the pot has excaped your system but i dont think you will need to see a phychiatrist or anything unless you feel that you should. it has only been 4 days since you smoked it and it actually takes any where from 1 week to 30 days to get out of your blood stream. good luck and hopefully your anxiety about this will subside.
Well, if the obessing is from you thinking about it all the time,, the best thing you can do is distract yourself with other subjects,, because as you said, otherwise all your doing is obessing about obsessing...

To some people the idea of going into an altered state of mind is horribly frightening,, and to them all I can say is,,, When I breath in oxygen deep into my lungs,,, I hallucinate the universe... the moment I stop breathing the magic will stop.

Interesting how momentarily being in the altered state of plant chemicals feels very un-safe to some, while living in the altered state of pharmacudials feels totally un-safe to others and visa/versa.
Greetings everyone!!!

Today was much better than yesterday.  I've definitely been trying to keep my mind preoccupied with other things so that I discontinue my obsessing with obsessing.  My appetite was pretty good and I felt alive and conscious...at least for most of the day.

Jen, interesting point you mention about prescription meds.  I found nothing wrong with taking Tylenol PMs to rid a headache or to relax myself....however, that is a drug that does in fact alter the mental state, but just in a different way.

I'm going to get some rest now....I hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend!  I'll check back in tomorrow....night night : -)
I'm so glad to hear that each day is getting better than the last and that you're feeling alive and well for the most part. : )

Hey......how's the new job going?

Take care baby girl.....
I"m sorry i didn't mean to be offensive but i lol'd when i read your  problem. as i was reading it all i could think was "I know her friend was crackin up when she started callin out to Jesus" I'm sorry i didn't mean to make fun but u will see the humor in all of this very soon. When i started smoking weed i went through the same thing. i was freaking out seeing sh*t i was worried the weed was laced and all that.i went through the great unknowns "if I'm not everywhere I'm no where" thing as well. I've always had an active mind. in other words i would have like almost over 100 full complete thought s in less than a min. ok i may be exaggerating but its something like that. my solution may have been a bad one but it worked for me. i had an epiphany  that i liked to call "High Logic"  ( any genius thought or beyond the box logic you think you are having while high) anyway i figured if liquor make you feel better when u have a hangover maybe if i smoke more weed it will calm me down. Sounds stupid now but it worked  i jus continued to smoke with my friend and kept talkin to him and it snapped me out of the paranoia. but yeah you'll feel better. actually you'll find it very funny . i still laugh @ my first experience.
CLEAN and organic medical grade MARIJUANA would not give you these symptoms for sure. Ask your friend what was in it!!!! if he does not know tell hin to ask the supplier...I bet it was laced with Darno or other **** to make it grow more potent.
Great Evening!!

I thought I posted earlier, but I guess it didn't go through all of the way.  I've definitely had my mind preoccupied because I caught that awful flu bug.  As such, I've been in the bed for days!!!

The anxiety and obsessing is getting a lot better and the new job is going great, although I had to take today off which I really didn't want to do....awful timing!!

I'll post again soon....

hugs and kisses to everyone :-)
I am not trying to say you are wrong, but the statement you made is not entirely true. While it IS true that added chemicals will INCREASE these feelings in some people, it is not true that clean medical grade marijuana will NOT cause these effects. Regardless of how you grow it use it, etc. it still contains THC, which is a hallucinagen(a mild one of course) and it affects the chemicals in your brain to interact in a certain way. Therefore, it is not the chemistry of the plant itself, but rather the chemistry of the brain (that which in each person is as individual as a fingerprint) that causes the type of reaction.

Point in case - I used to smoke a lot when I was a teenager to early twenties (you can glean more info from my profile if you like) and it was every variety possible - indica, sativa, hydroponically grown, completely organic (that I grew myself), with other drugs added, with chemicals added, etc. I NEVER had an issue for many years. However, once I started having my anxiety and panic, I started getting bad reactions to it. I started getting panicky, paranoid, feeling REALLY out of it on all the same types - every time. So why then, having probably smoke thousands of times with no reaction, did I suddenly start getting bad reactions? It is HIGHLY unlikely it was because of the product - it was because my brain chemistry had changed due to my nervous illness - nothing more, nothing less. By the way, as much as I LOVED it, having these reactions actually helped me kick the habit and I am SO thankful for that -my life is so much better now. As much as I always claimed it did not destroy motivation when I was doing it - I realize now that it did. Sure I had motivation to a point when I was a smoker, but I have SO much more now as a non-smoker.

My point here is not to point out that you are wrong, I just want to be sure that the information is as accurate as possible. Thanks.

Mike
hey, i smoked weed last night, and i had a realllly awful reaction.im so scared right now i feel like im never going to be 'normal' again.. my body was shaking uncontrolably, i felt like i was body poppin from the way i was moving. sounds funny but i can assure you it wasnt. my head felt like there was vibrations running through it and powerful lights were running through it. i coudnt stil still, jerking for like 3 hours non stop. i didnt even have much, but my dealer said it was some strong stuff. i was so scared i was goin to die that i was crying on the floor begging my friends to call an ambulance so eventually they did. They looked me over, i went to A and E, and they said im ok, but i feel like im not. its lyk the uncontrolable movements are stil in ma head, its jus my arms are not jerkin anymore, my finger moved uncontrolably now and then, but if i try and stop it i can...but thats only when i realise its haoppening. i feel like im going to stay in this state forever, and im realy scared.  i just want to know what i should do? can anyone please help....nadia
Well first I've I will start by saying that the first time I experienced this state of mind was when I was about 13 and never had used any drugs or alcohol. It lasted for about 6mo. and it scared the hell out of me. I would describe it to others that I was "lightheaded" because I didn't know enough at the time. I think anyone that has this happen is just pre-disposed to it and is just an offshoot of the anxiety symptoms. Think of it as a defense mechanism. With that said, when I was about 18 I smoked weed very heavily, every day for a good part of the day for about a year. Well one day, me and my friend decided to make some brownies out of it. Well we didn't have brownies, so we made them into muffins. We thought we would have to eat more to get high, which is the exact opposite. We put in a 1/4 oz. of legit northern lights and split the muffins equally. I got really high after about an hour, and when I thought it coulnd't get worse it kept going on and on. About 4 hours later I remember sitting in the wendys parking lot and I was positive I died and crossed over. I freaked my friend out so bad he started crying. He brought me home and I went into my house and thought I was in the wrong house, so I ran outside down the road until I realized I was seriously tripping. I went in my bedroom and rode it out. I stayed up until about 7 the next morning and finally felt a little better. But I was in a fu***** haze for at least 3 days. Every time I tried smoking after that it would take one hit and that feeling came back instantly. Well I quit smoking at about 19, then drank heavily for the next 5 years. Went thru terrible W/D and ever since I have the terrible feelings of unreality on and off, sometimes constantly for months on end. I have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder/depression/add. Let me tell you, the best thing you can do is just ignore the feeling. It is the constant obsession over the feelings that fuels it. I was busy all day today and didn't think about it once, but the second I think about it and ask the questions "is this real", "is this a dream", "will I ever be normal", I freak myself out and it comes right back. Then I have a good day and feel "normal" and remind myself in those times to not worry about those feelings when they happen and just ride it out. Don't worry, the weed didn't cause you any damage, it may take a few days but just ignore it and you will be fine. If you do have an anxiety disorder, whether diagnosed or not, it was probably just a matter of time before you felt like this. It's just a panic symptom and cannot and will not harm you. If you haven't been diagnosed with anything, I'm willing to bet that you are a little bit of a worrier, or stress easily. But take care, you will be fine, it will go away!!!
I would also just like to add, some people get a racing heart, tight chest, sweaty etc. during heightened anxiety, others like myself, it attacks us more mentally like the feelings of unreality, feeling detached, obsessive thoughts, etc...thought i would just add my 2 cents....
I always get ahead of myself and forget to add the important stuff (add:) ). but anyhow, i'm almost positive you were just having a panic attack while really high and its just lingering, shake it off and lay off the weed.
hey, thanks for the comments, its making me feel better but i cant help but think somethings wrong with me. im in ma room at an accomodation and i know a few people are smoking weed in the kitchen and im scared to go out, when i smell it im scared il go back to the worst part i had last night. i cant even get in the shower cause im scared. i dunno even what of?..i feel like last night really changed me, im never touching a cigarette ever again, cause im scared that feeling wil come back...weird i know...sounds stupid but makes so much sense in my head. yeh im a worrier a stress head. but i really dont want an anxiety disorder, but i feel like im starting to get one and its scaring me. nadia
just by saying that its really helping me alot, weirdly i feel like the feelings stopping now. i guess its just me stressing out. lay off the weed? trust me when i say i cant even bare to look at it, i cant even look at cigarettes...i get scared nadia
I feel bad for Ich and anyone else that experiences that unkind feeling.  It's really very chill.  God's gift to mankind.
There are basically different types of weed...  ok now some weed makes you giggly and its "light" and funny and its great. Now some weed is heavy and more LSD like this will basically make you high in a different way but will "trip you out" Colors will start looking strange for instange a "white" wall will appear very colorful and things like walking to the end of the street will seem to take hours when in fact its the same time as usual its just that your mind is racing. You will get stuck in a loop... for example: I need to find my lighter, i think i left it over here, i cant find it, o look cigarettes, i want a cigarette, where is my lighter, i need to find a lighter. Sometimes a cold enviroment will make you shiver, this is similar to being afraid, your brain says I am shivering i am afraid... try and stay some where warm with people who make you laugh in an enviroment that you know and dont mix alcohol will pot. Of course you get anxious when you smoke pot because it illegal and alot of people dont approve and also because people tell you stupid stuff will happen to you if you smoke, like growing breasts, hair on your breasts, etc. So you are trying to get high but other parts of you have conflicting emotions and thus anxiety.  This produces the downward slide or the "bad trip" you start to get worked up, you dont feel right, you start to panic, something is not right... Sometimes it will feel as if your throat is constricted or a heavy weight is on your neck. All you need to remember is ITS NOT YOU its the THC in the pot you are smoking that is making you feel like this. Dont panic the reason you smoked this was to have a good time, the thing that is wrong is that you are not having a good time, go somewhere warm and familiar and play some music you like or watch a funny movie - you are gonna get panicky if you are out in a cold forest in the dark.. k?
Also people who are "control freaks" have bad reactions because they feel out of control and this causes anxiety, and panic..  boom! bad trip.
I smoked for over 20 years and had to give up, they drug test for jobs here, about 3 months after this my family called an intervention saying I was bipolar/manic depressive. I said NO i am sober now thats why I am not that happy, funny, artistic person you used to know... go figure.
Another thing DO NOT SAY ALCOHOL AND DRUGS... ALCOHOL is A DRUG JUST LIKE CAFFEINE, SUGAR, NICOTINE, and for some people work, sports, sex, video games, etc, are also drugs.
LOL O yeah and how do you give up pot? easy dont buy it any more! dont go near people who smoke and if u do and they offer u some say NO!
Also I have given pot up before like when I was pregnant and the first thing that will happen when you take that first hit will be a small amount of paranoia - because its illegal and when you smoke you have to consider that if you get caught with it they will take ur house ur car ur child ur job.... well i wonder why that would make me paranoid?
No much better to get drunk every night till you fall unconscious and then wake up with a hangover puking up your guts COS THAT IS LEGAL AND LEAVES UR SYSTEM IN 8 HOURS...
Jade59 commented on 10356's status
1 hr ago
10356 My Sister has passed on.. ... Comment
abby32886 joined this community
Welcome them!