Adrenaline rush when trying to fall asleep
Hi, my partner has been having terrible trouble falling asleep, he complains of feeling a huge surge of adrenaline just as he is about to drift to sleep, this can continue for quite a while until he is so exhausted his body has no choice but to sleep.(this feeling is not associated with any physical twitching or jerking of muscles or limbs)
He has fairly recently stopped taking citalopram which was prescribed to alleviate anxiety which he was diagnosed with many years ago.
Could this problem he is experiencing when trying to sleep be SSRI discontinuation syndrome? If so, is there anything you could recommend to relieve this unpleasant symptom?
Hi all

I have been recently diagnosed with hematomacrosis, an overload of iron. Apparently it affects all organs, including the adrenals.  Not saying this is your problem, but could be for some of you. Bloodletting or donating monthly made a huge difference for me.  It reduced my iron levels.  High iron is terrible for you.  Being of  Irish descent is of particular importance with this.  Joint ache and heart palps are associated.

Good luck
I too have dealt with adrenaline release so severe at night that I am awakened many times with a fast heartbeat and lightheadedness and ringing in my ears. But there IS HOPE! I found a natural product called Corti-Cut PM. It controls the release of adrenaline and cortisol at night so you can sleep. I read some of your posts on anti-anxiety drugs....exactly the reason I sought out help from a natural source. It takes about a week to start seeing the difference, but if you take it faithfully, two caps before bed, you will definitely experence a huge change in your ability to sleep and stay asleep comfortably. During extremely stressful times, you may need the addition of another product called SleepMD to help you fall asleep. But I would try the Corti-Cut PM first, and then see how you do after a couple of weeks. The longer you are consistent with taking the Corti-Cut, the better results you will experience. It has wonderful things in it like Holy Basil and a Phosphatidyl complex that calms the brain. No side effects is the best aspect of this product!!

BUT VERY IMPORTANT to all anxiety sufferers.....NO CAFFEINE, NO SUGAR, NO ALCOHOL. I know its a bummer to have to give up such enjoyable foods, but if you do not, you will not experience true success with any natural program you try. Caffeine, sugar and alcohol undermine every effort you make to stay calm. If you need a boost for work or activity, B12 or a B Complex vitamin will become your best friend. And there are other non-stimulating energy sources. It is also important to try to be asleep by eleven at night. Ten o'clock is better, but if you are a night owl, eleven will be easier to accomplish.

I have lived with this problem for nearly nine years, and the above listed supplements have been a lifesaver for me. Hope it will work well for you if you decide to give it a try!
1) Exercise regularly before sleep
2) DO NOT EAT BEFORE BED
3) DO NOT HAVE TOO MUCH SLEEP, I know its hard to regulate but try to keep to the 8 hour pattern.
4) If you have any long term stresses such as job/financial worries, change your lifestyle as much as you can to make You feel less stressed.
5) CUT out any alcohol completely until you feel better.
Hey, all u guys suffering this way, join the club, it is debilitating and completely overwhelmes ur life. First do controlled breathing; breath in slowly counting to 5, hold for 5, slowly out for 5, hold for 5. Repeat  about 10 times about 5 times/day. Get someone to count for u till u get it down pat. Second n very importantly see a psychiatrist. I did and believe I wldnt b here today if I didn't. I was prescribed Lexapro and valium, and also had a 4 week stay in hospital in the mental health ward, followed by 6 mths of outpatient cognitive behavioural therapy. Slowly go off all alcohol and caffeine. This is just what worked for me. I had every possible symptom. This is not medical advice just trying to help u realise u r not alone, this is very real and CAN be helped. It comes under the heading of depression but presents as panic attacks, not the typical lie in bed all day depression. What causes it? Not enough serotonin, what causes that? Who knows n who cares. but probably CFS, post viral syndrome, FM or dysautonomia r just some of the things BUT  I have my life back, good luck, give it a go, what have u got to lose? God Bless
I found Buspar to be a great help for anxiety. Xanax didn't help me and I also hated the grogginess it caused. Buspar works very well and does not cause you to feel groggy or 'high' in any way. Hope you find relief from all this.
I get bad anxiety where feel like your going crazy and die all at once. pretty scary. I also get the adrenaline rush it make me paste back and forth not knowing what to do with my self. I have it at night also. sometime scared to go to sleep. and I wake up like that in mornings with ponding heart. been to drs. test me for thyroids. came out good. abt to go to counsling soon. to see if that helps.
i'm thinking about the clonapin- been on low dose xanax for years- love getting off that!
also doing beta blocker, but the sides sound ominous. i'd like to hear more about how you are doing?
thanks!
ja
Yeah, i get this electricity jolt/adrenaline rush too. It starts from my heart/chest and it goes right to my brain just as im falling asleep. Ever since my heart started beat unexpectedly fast for a few seconds, and i had this tight feeling in chest and throat and it was difficult to breathe, i always thought that i was going to die and i was afraid. I think i am anxious. It comes and goes, but there is a weird feeling, almost tingly near my chest. So i think its anxiety but im not certain.
I've experienced the described symptomes about 2 weeks ago for the first time. When it happens it's like drifting into sleep at full consciousness. I get the feeling of something flooding my brain (like some kind of drug) and I get aware of the sleeping paralysis spreading out through my whole body. THAT'S THE MOMENT the choking feeling starts and NOW the adrenaline is flooding and I wake up again.
After the first time happening this to me, I've searched the internets for similar reports and found people describing the same symptomes. Some of them said they had this for many years and it appeared very infrequent. So I understood that it's nothing too serious and the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS NOT TO GET OBSESSED WITH IT.
So every now and then it happens to me and after 2-4 wakeups I guess the adrenaline kicks get weaker and I fall asleep just fine. AND EVEN BETTER: I figured out it can be another DOOR FOR LUCID DREAMING. If you don't know what that is: go research! It can be so much fun! And watch the movie "Waking Life". Good night & sweet dreams!
Does anyone get pain un the stomach area and feel like an urge to poop with the adrenaline rush ? I have the same, it's as if I wake up startled just un the nik of time not to die. Only when I drift off to bed. My eyes get heavy and if I let myself fall asleep I get that surge thing. In super scared and am alone with my daughter too. Happens once or twice a month ( past 4 months). I'm anemic taking iron and have gastrititis not sure if it has anything to do with it. I think I have anxiety under control but perhaps not. I stress over a lot of things. Mostly my health
How long did it take after you started the diet for the attacks to end?
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to ask/tell the doctor? It feels like  no one will listen, but not being able to sleep because of this sometimes makes me want to "off myself" (which I wont..).

It's been about 2 months of this for me and I really don't want this to last years. I am starting to avoid sleep all together.
The lucid dreaming idea is why I looked this up. I have no anxiety. This happened to me the first time and it freaked me out, so i jolted myself awake...the second time i just rode with it, and i ended up falling asleep within a minute or so. My theory is that it's like a little DMT or something: http://*****************/question/index?qid=20100124210226AAB9aEQ being released early in your sleep cycle. It's like a massive drug rush, which is exactly what i thought it felt like. Again, i just didn't panic about the feeling and i ended up falling asleep.
wow, i thought i was the only 1 to experience this, a total cliche but true. i havent had this for ages now but used to suffer every night, i think i was very sensitive to the chemicals that send me to sleep being released into my brain,  i felt that i could literally feel them being released and it caused an electrical kind of rush from my toes right up to the top of my head and it would make me immediately sit bolt upright. sometimes it could happen 4, 5, 6 times per night  and was awful. i have tried citalopram for anxiety attacks that i was suffering from and i stopped abusing alcohol and cocodamol tablets and i havent had this symptom now over a year. Good luck all.
I am so relieved to read your comment because what you have described is exactly what I have been experiencing for 5 years on and off.  I have been put on Affexer (antidressant) and it helps but I hate the side effects so I have been weaning off and the sudden adrenaline surges have returned.  It's as if my body wants me to stay awake, as if I was in some threatening situation.  My body will simply not let go. The only way I can sleep is by taking sleeping pills.  I don't have anxiety issues either, I am also laid back.  I have yet to find a doctor that understands my condition.  They all think I have anxiety.  I wish there was a natural remedy or some way to control it.  I have tried relaxation techniques, hot baths etc, you name it.  It is just beyond my control.
I've been suffering from this horrible ordeal, too.
It is very uncomfortable and I dread 10pm because I fear these symptoms so much. They are painful at times. The rush of adrenaline can be so strong that my chest hurts or my whole body jolts in bed. I am looking for the way out. There must be a solution.
It is very uncomfortable and I dread 10pm because I fear these symptoms so much. They are painful at times. The rush of adrenaline can be so strong that my chest hurts or my whole body jolts in bed. I am looking for the way out. There must be a solution. Have you found any relief?
did you find a solution?
Did you find any solution?
It is very uncomfortable and I dread 10pm because I fear these symptoms so much. They are painful at times. The rush of adrenaline can be so strong that my chest hurts or my whole body jolts in bed. I am looking for the way out. There must be a solution. Did you find relief?
Did you find relief? I have the same.
Medical solution with a pinch of salt bellow.
Adrenal insomnia combined with racing thoughts since 2000.  
This is fight club type insomnia so no natural or over the counter type product helped me.Doctors did not have a solution so I started to try many different medication myself (sleeping and other)

Only 2 medication worked for me long term.
Tricyclic antidepressants (trazodone) year 2000 to 2003
Low dose anti antipsychotic (seroquel the DEVIL) 25 - 100 mg 2003 to present

My medical profile. Bipolar depression ,racing thoughts, insomnia, mania.

Now the devil is in the detail. All drugs cause rebound insomnia when you stop them. Drugs have many side effects. If you have this condition as bad as me you will gladly die many years earlier as long as you sleep until then.
So let me introduce you to the devils then!

Trazodone worked if I  kept my stress level under control. It is by far a safer option than seroquel. It will also help for depression. Not so good for racing thoughts. Can cause mania. Might mess with your sex life a bit.  Possible to discontinue in the future.

Seroquel
(At dosages lower than 200 it does not work as a antipsychotic. It acts as a completely different drug. More like an antihistamine)

What can i say? This drug saved my life buy also altered it dramatically.
It makes you sleep. It stops racing thoughts. It smooths  out your mood profile (less low less high) It helps for depression. Would I recommend you take this drug? No, not unless your life depends on it. In my case I did not have a choice. I was going to kill myself  if I could not sleep any way so I figured what the hell.

The bad
It has affected my memory slightly. It dulls your emotions a bit. It takes away a bit of creativity.  
It has a hell of a lot of side effect. Google it. The side effect are much less on dosages 100 mg or below.

I would stop this drug if I could but living without the drug is so much worse than living with the drug.
After dealing with these horrible sensations for almost five years, seeing numerous doctors, many sleepless nights, reading countless posts from people with the same issues...I have FINALLY found out what it is. It's an inner ear issue and vertigo. One easy test to see if it is - if the the sensations disappear after sitting up and you can fall asleep like that, go see an ENT. I feel for anyone who has to deal with this crap - it's horrible, but even moreso because doctors have no idea what it is because we are all saying it's adrenaline because there's no other way to describe it so they start passing out Xanax and the like.
this *****. its 3am and this has been going on for the past 4 hours. ive had this happen to me before and it's pretty scary. for the longest time, i didnt think anyone else had this problem.
I thought it was just me. Adrenalin rolls in my stomach, all night but all night long last night. I don't remember sleeping at all. I developed major Anxiety two weeks ago, as I finished my radiotherapy treatment. I can't relax, daren't sleep in the day, can't sleep in the night and am suffering from radiotherapy fatigue. I'll try the breathing and see..... I'm on Temazepam but it doesn't always help.
No one seems to be thinking about the two different forms of sleep apnea. one form is from the nervous system. you can be skinny and have it. you stop breathing.  What happens when you hold your breath too long ? first your heart rate speeds up and then you panic ,adrenaline fills your body. This is exactly how it feels when your body finally tells you to wake up now! This happens several times a night to some. It is related somehow to the nerve center and medulla. and it does help to become grounded and learn to eat better ( I mean completely better)  . There are people out there who think of themselves as generally healthy and they are missing many of the nutrients and elements and fats Vital for brain and nervous system function.  Being tested in a hospital has its flaws because rarely do people actually fall asleep. Do a home test and a hospital test. But to be honest there is less they can do for you than the common over weight version. I had it every day for about two years finally decreasing the number of jump ups and now i barely ever have them any more.
I haven't been able to read all the comment but I found this because I was googling the same symptoms in myself. I haven't slept a wink in 5 days. I do suffer from anxiety but I am currently taking an SSRI. Not being withdrawn from it. I have had this problem for many years, before the anxiety and the depression for which I am taking the medication so I think that lack of sleep from the adrenaline rush as I either enter or exit consciousness that is affecting my mental health. Yes, the moment I wake up or drift to sleep my heart starts thumping and I am pumped full of adrenaline, similar to that feeling of speeding past a cop or being about to get into a car wreck.
As to sleep apnea, this happens even if I am sitting at my desk and almost doze off for a split second out of sleep deprivation. No time to even miss a breath in that instance.
I had this adrenaline surge problem for a long time and FINALLY found the source of the problem and the solution.  Two words: atlas subluxation!  Three more words: upper cervical chiropractor!  I think there is an epidemic that most doctors fail to recognize or simply don't know about that is causing all sorts of unexplainable health problems for people.  If your atlas bone (the topmost vertabrae) is misaligned (mine was due to a past head or neck injury), it puts pressure on your brainstem and affects your nervous system (google it).  Ordinary chiroprators aren't trained to adjust the top two vertebrae, so you must seek out an upper cervical chiropractor.  Most of them offer a free consultation.  Trust me, and look into it!
Yes! This is what has worked for me too!
I've suffered from bedtime adrenaline jolts for five years now, and I read an earlier comment about seeing a chiropractor to adjust your neck. There is a chiropractor in the building where I work, so I stopped in to see if there was any truth to this suggestion.
Well, I've been getting my neck adjusted for a couple weeks and the jolts have stopped. I don't know the medical details, but basically there is a nerve that gets out of line or pinched and causes your nervous system to release too much adrenaline. The adrenaline fights your body's natural progression toward sleep - it's a defense mechanism that keeps you from falling asleep in threatening situations. Just like a wild animal won't sleep if it is in danger.
Here is a video I found that shows the adjustment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKgJ3aQ1xA0

Also, the chiropractor told me to sleep only on my back, and that has helped as well.

I've read all kinds of message boards about this topic, and there are lots of  suggestions around medicine, but time after time those solutions turn out to just mask the issue. If you are having these symptoms I highly encourage you to check with a chiropractor.
Guys, try these:

1) Do not eat anything 5-6 hours before going to bed, only drink pure water if you want
2) Experiment with your diet, exclude a group of products and see how it works for you. I have felt a lot better without milk and it's derivatives
3) Eat healthy, exclude caffeine and junk food

The most important thing is number 1.

I've visited numerous docs, with no effect at all - they all told me it is stress related thing.
I was trying to find a pattern myself, it took me two years and a lot of trouble to figure it out. One day I took a huge milk protein shake right before going to bed, and powerful rushes & sleepless night followed.
After excluding milk and not eating 5-6 hours before going to bed I am fine, no rushes.

Hope it will help somebody
I believe this is due to the condition called Adrenal Fatigue, which you can find lots of information about online.

I have this problem, which gets worse and better at times. Lately I'm tapering off klonopin so it's come back.

This sensation is the same feeling as the beginning of an out of body experience, although the heavy vibrations are not present, but the sensation is very similar, and if so many of us are experiencing it then it then maybe there is nothing to worry about, next time don't fight the feeling or allow fear to take hold, just gently go with it and take in the sensation, try to enjoy it as it may be a wonderful spiritual experience, if you feel paraylised know that it will pass, if you feel your body change position like go upright or something then this is an out of body experience, many of us do it every night, but it normally takes place once we are asleep
I am just starting to go through this at age 35. healthy, non smoker, slightly high blood pressure.  They gave me xanax also, and without it sleep is a horrific battle of being about to fall asleep, and then bam! adrenaline rush.  I have been sleeping only 3-4 hours per night, and I am now just waiting for my mind to shut down.  Its crazy because I have never had anxiety problems or anything, and this all started one day out of the blue when I was sitting at work reading about rock climbing.  I had I guess what most closely resembles a panic attack, but it was the first time in my life I have ever felt that way.  I did not have trouble breathing, but I did feel like I was about to die from head exploding, stroke, heart attack, or who knows.  I drove to the ER and walked around until I calmed down.  I wanted to be there in case I did drop dead so they could try to revive me I guess.  Well anyway, since that first 'episode', I have not been able to sleep without Xanax.  I am going back to a different doctor next week, and I will post any interesting results.  My EKG showed a possible left atrial enlargement, whatever that is.  I have also now taken out a $1 million life insurance policy so I can at least feel good if I do die.  
Dear John and Everyone Above,

I am so sorry that you've had to go through this, it has been my experience as well over the month of February, easily the worst month of my life. Like you, I am 35, have always been healthy, of a good weight etc. I suddenly started having these adrenaline surges right at the point of drifting off which would then continue all night as often as I tried to fall asleep. These would be accompanied by heart palpitations, a sense of incredible unease, etc. At least once I almost took off to the ER but chose not to because I did not want to rack up a bill.

I find it amazing and appalling that in 170+ posts here, only 1 poster has given us what is likely the cure for the vast majority of people suffering from this terrible condition. And I'm quite sure it's been thoroughly missed. His name is Landowski, he goes by BrazilianGuy elsewhere online. By the way, don't expect your GP or conventional doctor to diagnose you, they are absolutely clueless...To be honest, even accounting for the tremendous stress and over bearing regulation that they are under, I still don't understand how they can look at themselves in the mirror when they so cavalierly dismiss people with this condition, prescribing antidepressants as if that ever helped anyone... My GP had the guts to mention 'psychiatric' to me. And these are supposedly our best and brightest? It's a disgrace.

I'm going to share the answer with you, for one reason: the Lord Jesus says "Love your neighbor as yourself", and what has worked for me, I pray will work for you and others reading. The answer is in a 5 letter word:

WHEAT

Or a 6 letter word:

GLUTEN

You want to eradicate this condition and get better? Eradicate this poison from your bloodstream. It is entering your body via your bread, pasta, flour products, cookies, pastries etc and triggering an auto immune response. Your body tries its best to fight it, and at night, the adrenaline surges are the body's way to inform you that something is terribly invasive/inflammatory and needs to be addressed. Your body is working for you, not against you. Indeed, if you allow the poisoning to continue, you will develop full borne Celiac disease which is highly correlated with vastly increased odds of premature death via cancer, heart disease etc.

I had tried a few things prior to this: seeing my doctor which did nothing other than frustrate me. Secondly, I had seen a chiropractor who adjusted by atlas/C1. Thirdly I tried grounding. While the latter two helped in the short term, the symptoms came back quickly. Some $500 later, I had to face the harsh reality that something was still wrong. Nevertheless, I did not give up and kept on researching  (I'm an analyst in finance), asking God to give me wisdom to understand what was behind all this. And in His mercy, He did. It's the gluten in this franken-wheat that we eat. The govt is lying to us telling us that it's a great source of fiber and B12. Would you eat a load of poison if it had great fiber and B12 in it? Or would you avoid it like the plague? Our wheat has been hybridized, created by exposure to a toxic chemical called sodium azide. Farmers, the USDA etc have sold their souls to the devil and have been killing people since the 1960s because of their experiment and allowance of hybrid wheat. All for a higher yield and higher profits.

To EVERYONE who has been suffering above, all 170 posters, barring an adrenal tumor, you are more than likely reacting to gluten. If not, consult with a Naturopath and do a salvia ASI stress test to see if your cortisol rhythm is normal or not. If it is inverted/abnormal (high at night, low in morning), your Naturopath can help you get back on the right track with Seriphos, herbs and vitamins. But one of the best things, if not the best thing, is to cut out consumption of anything that has gluten in it. Even if you are tolerant of it, cutting it out will lessen inflammation in your gut and allow you to process the food that you are eating.

Ever since I've cut it out, 2 weeks, now, my sleep has been so much better. That's why what Landowski above (back in 2011) mentioned worked for him: he went on a paleo diet which cuts out wheat... In conjuction with  a good Vitamin B-100 supplement, I no longer need a nap in the afternoon anymore and can sleep 8-10 hours at night without waking. If I do wake, I'm able to fall back asleep.

You will not only get better, but you will be healthier than you have ever been,

May God Bless You,
In Christ's Love,

WheatNoMore

This happens to me when for whatever reason I have very poor sleep during one night (this time it was flying to Europe and not sleeping for 36 hours). Lack of sleep creates a lasting adrenalin rush (your body is creating it so it can perform the functions you're asking it to while exhausted and running on no or little sleep). Then you can't get to sleep the next night because of the adrenalin in your system - thus the cycle of sleep problems occurs. What I found helps to get back on track with your sleeping (assuming it is not caused by stress/anxiety): exercise during the day, no caffeine, no sugar, do not go to bed hungry, deep breathing, don't worry about getting to sleep, just surrender to your bed and know everything is good. If this doesn't work, take a prescription sleeping pill for one night only. One night of good, regular sleep will eradicate the adrenalin from your body and allow you to get back on your regular sleep schedule.
Hi, Are there any updates on this?  I seem to be suffering from this too, after stopping Lexapro 2 months ago.  I may have to go back!
I've been dealing with this for 12 years.  I work for a naturopath and he is helping me with the issue.  
Here's what I've found so far.  What we're describing sounds like anxiety,  causes anxiety but isn't anxiety itself.  I tested and found I have neurocardiogenic syncope with autonomic origin. Leaning completely on ssri's seems to be the answer,  but you wonder why you still have these attacks while falling asleep.  It's because it originates in your adrenals.  Research adrenal fatigue.  
What helps me is adrenal support, thyroid support, Hawthorne berry for heart strength,  celtic or Himalayan sea salt on my food, cutting sugar,  cutting gluten, cutting aspartame and all artificial sweeteners and no heart stimulants like caffeine.  Irritants may not be obvious but effects the adrenals first and domino to the thyroid.  The stability of both hormone glands is essential.
Read up on gaba before bed.  Try 1/3 of 250mg first. We're sensitive.  Don't rat after 8. Sheanean sharp Harman on th.
This is going to sound crazy but here's how I've dealt with it. The surge, I think, is a physiological response to your awareness of yourself being between the physical and spiritual realm. When you get these, you are very tired and your body has issued the chemicals that prevent you from moving. You're paralyzed and you feel like you're completely vulnerable as you become aware and these surges come. At first they are scary and you might even cry out for help - not physically of course but within your 'state' - like a desperate prayer. I actually started taking advantage of these states to pray, not in desperation, but in peace and with sincere inquisition because it's in this place I think we're out of the physical and into the spiritual world, a little closer to God.
Like many of you I have been experiencing this same sleeping problem. It started about 11 days ago. I woke up in the middle of the night in a sudden scare. Went back to sleep and then kept waking up. Last wednesday I started taking Atenolol for High Blood Pressure. Which made me feel really strange. I was sad and crying and I felt lifeless. I only took the one. Then next day I was still tired and slept ok. The next day on Friday I felt anxious all day. That night and every night after I have been having trouble falling asleep. I have missed 2 nights of sleep already. And I still have the anxiousness. I went to see a doctor and he prescribed me some Ativan. I took one and it calmed me nicely. I took another that night and I slept at least 7 hours. I tried to go with the Ativan the next night but was up all night. I wonder if my situation has to do with a Withdrawal of the Atenolol?
Then there is a part of my that realizes that this is just from Anxiety. My wife and son went on a trip to Florida for 8 days! I have been so depressed without them. I also have to appetite at all. Do you think that this is just Psychological?
Should I keep taking the Ativan?
Melatonin worked for a couple weeks and then it actually kept me up all night.
ME TOO! And a year ago, it did not. I stopped taking it b/c of the weird dreams. But then I tried to take it again and it worked for a week, but then kept me up all night shaking. Not good.
1) I am 36/m
2) Started 9 years ago...same time I started teaching (added stress - but I have always been a work-a-holic
3) Before it first started I ate whatever I wanted to at anytime; now I am down to eating chex cereal every night for dinner (most nights ...sometimes I push it and pay the price)
4) 'Panic' attacks soon followed with thoughts of dying etc. This lasted about 2 years until I realized what was going on and now no longer have the panicky feeling b/c I know when my heart becomes elevated and my head cloudy, something is going on that will not kill me...rather just tick me off
5) About 6 years in I shook when trying to fall asleep which is now the main thing/reason for this post...I can stay up all night sometimes shaking/dipping/roller coaster feeling, etc...
6) If I have any real food for dinner..forget about it...shaking...dipping...have to throw it up. And then shakes are still there sometimes.
7) I have acid reflux.
8) I do not have anxiety. People say I stress. I don't think I stress any more than other. When I go to sleep. I am not thinking about much of anything. I love my life. Am a happy-go-lucky dude. But I have LOTS of energy/work with children. So when I come home...it's crash-central

SOLUTIONS for Me
1) Don't eat after 6:30...however, should you eat too early, I find a piece of bread (many times) helps stop the shakes if I do start shaking. Do not eat the bread until AFTER shaking as the bread itself could cause shaking. Only eat a piece of bread if you start shaking. This works about 1/2 time...means my stomach was too empty.
2) I take a quarter of Lorazapam to calm my nerves an hour before bedtime. If you take it right before bed and are not shaking...it may cause the shakes. If you are shaking and have to take another quarter...it may stop the shakes. See how that works? :) Yea...confusing me too. This works about 3/4 of the time. Very good.
3) Throw up acid...this is the number one thing that works and naturally is the worst thing for you for obvious reasons. I throw up a little acid and for years this would work. The past month though, it has become less effective. I will shake like a tree on a windy October night and then boom...throw up a little acid and done..no shaking whatsoever.
4) Take a shower an hour before bed
5) Lay in bed an hour before sleeping
6) Take 1 antacid and hr before sleep
7) Think of obscure things before falling asleep like running on top of a building while holding a jack-in-the-box...this works for me b.c. it keeps me from thinking of real life stuff and it gets me into obscure dream-world

Things I have tried and no longer work
1) Melatonin worked ...and then it actually kept me up all night
2) Eating regular food for dinner ..nope
3) Working out later in the evening to calm me down...nope..gets me jacked up where I don't want to sleep

Things to keep in mind
1) I don't really stress about things - I am a problem solver
2) I don't like how everything is attributed to anxiety/stress - I believe these are relative terms
3) Most important...what we are dealing with is real...maybe if enough of us discuss we can find a solution...I feel like it is a simple fix...but so simple it has Docs perplexed.
Hello everyone!

I occasionally have this kind of sleeping problems and its freaking me out. However i have been able to stop this with the help of qi-gong-exersices against insomnia.
If you are the kind who thinks this qi-gong is ******** this tip is not for you, but for the other insomniacs out there willing to try the exercises in a neutral state of mind, this maybe the thing you have been looking for.
I tried it yesterday, and i am amazed over how effective it is, placebo or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC3lrAIhcic

( watch all 4 videos first, then try it. Try to be calm and preform the exercise as prescribed by the instructor. Just focus on the visualization and the breathing, no thoughts. Good luck peeps! )
Hi, I am currently experiencing the same thing. The adrenaline rush before bed that only happens once I close my eyes and "TRY" to drift off to sleep.  I then jerk and wake myself up. Once I do awaken, I am out of breath and very nervous/anxious.  I immediately think that I'm dying and that I'm gasping for air. But then I try to calm myself down and realize this is just my anxiety and try to occupy myself until I fall asleep. But you are definitely not alone with this feeling.  I take Zoloft 25 mg once daily at night and I also take Ativan 0.5 mg once at night as well.  I have taken the Ativan for 2 years and I've been weaned down to the dosage that I am on currently. This feeling only started for me about 2 days ago and I HATE IT.  I wish I had more insight on this for you but I don't. I do pray that we both began to feel better.
I wore an event monitor for a month to try and capture one of these episodes. The doctor found atrial fibrillation. Upped my beta blocker and put me on eliquis. Seems to have increased my symptoms! But the afib catch was a good thing.
Yes. I do. I take statins and have this same problem and have wondered about the correlation.
Its funny How people find a hundred of different SourceS of the problem when we ALL know its anxiety. Here i AM, 04:36 AM. This is the second time in my life that it happens and I totally cured myself the first time treating with 2mg alprazolam before bed time. I know its a powrful drug but believe me, It provides you some guaranteed sleep, 2mg Knicks you down and after a while you slowly reduced when you are forgetting about the problem. But If you stop and remember it, It Will happen again. This **** is produced because se até thinking about It. The mind is só powerful. Right now I have no xanax so is going to be a thuf night
Here's some answers...

I have had precisely the symptoms described above for the past five years, on and off. Just as I am drifting off I feel a jolt, like that when you suddenly bite your tongue, only it has nothing to do with the tongue, it is inside the brain, followed immediately by an adrenaline surge and the fight or flight feeling that goes with it (the first few times it does make you think "am I dying"?). This would repeat many times until I finally fall asleep. It can happen in the mornings also if I wake up early and try to sleep again.

What I noticed is that the more sleep deprived or dehydrated I was, the more likely I was to experience the phenomenon. As soon as I started drinking 2 litres of water per day and the symptoms stopped. Perhaps this has to do with electrolyte balance in the brain (the brain is mostly water after all).

The symptoms have recently returned. I couldn't figure out why at first, but have just this week learned that I have a nostril collapse. This was causing apnoea without me knowing, and so I became sleep deprived again, hence the return of the symptoms. I bought some Breatheasy nasal strips and the apnoea is now solved, and I am on my way to catching back on my sleep (cross fingers). Symptoms are still there, but were much better last night than the night before.

Hope this is of some help to someone out there. The condition is a real nuisance, and without answers it can be scary. The most important thing is to worry positively and not negatively.