Anxiety Community
Afraid of being put to sleep for surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Afraid of being put to sleep for surgery

I'm having a colonoscopy and endoscopy on July 7. They are going to put me to sleep because of my anxiety. The drugs they usually use to relax you is stuff I have taken before and not even relaxed me enough to take a nap. My doctor said he was putting me to sleep because the last thing he needed was a panic attack during this procedure.  I've been doing better since my phyc. got my meds back to normal but now I'm really concerned about this test. Let me know if any of you out there have been put to sleep for a procedure like this. Just worried about not waking up like Michael J.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Although there is always some risk involved with general anesthesia, now a days that risk is very very small. Also, the test you are having are pretty quickly done, so you will not need to be under for very long. The smaller dose of anesthesia you will need, and the short period you will need it, greatly reduces the already small risk associated with general anesthesia. Just try not to think about it too much from now until the 7th. I know this is easier said than done, but you will be fine.

Hope everything turns out okay...
Blank
619380_tn?1339802196
I have been put under about 6 times for hours at time. They tried a general for a hernia repair, I freaked out and they put me under. Good luck on the 7th.
Blank
953067_tn?1248398108
I always wake up in the middle of endoscopies. I ask not to be sedated so I won't wake up disoriented in the middle of those procedures, but they insist that I'd move around dangerously if not sedated. When I wake up I listen for a long time to make certain I'm not imagining it,then cough a little or move slightly until I hear them say, she's waking up, let's get out. It never hurts or is hurting at the time...probably due to the drugs...so please don't worry about that part of it. It's mostly just irritating that I can't just sleep through the procedure.
Blank
I feel the same way about being put the sleep for the reason I relate being put to sleep with death very strange but true.
Blank
9736120_tn?1405566427
im going to be having a surgery coming up soon i talk to the surgeon on the 26th of Aug. but i have sever anxiety and social anxiety now with my anxiety attacks i panic really bad and cant breathe; I've been having nightmares that im going to wake up during the surgery. It's scaring me so bad i dont know if i want to go through with this surgery anymore. How do i deal with my anxiety about being put to sleep ?
Blank
9736120_tn?1405566427
how many times did u wake up during surgery and did u feel pain when u awoke?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
Blank
callum10 joined this community
Welcome them!
1 hr ago
Blank
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
3 hrs ago
4502768_tn?1388261113
Blank
monicadoll I am back...Anxiety is a st... Comment
3 hrs ago
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms
Start Tracking Now
Top Anxiety Answerers
480448_tn?1403547723