Anxiety Community
Aggorophobia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Aggorophobia?

So why is it so terrifying to go outside my front door?  

In October I could go out alone and drive my car now I am housebound.
I am not a professional but from what I've read, I believe our senses are just so sensitive from anxiety that we are just over stimulated by our surroundings.

That is why we are so jumpy and pace around alot. There are times I am as calm as could be and others when I so uptight I feel like I will end up in a crazy house with a straight jacket on.

Dispite how I may feel at times, I really try to go about my business everyday. it is VERY DIFFICULT to deal with at times. I know you will disagree with me, but sometimes I really feel like I have this worse than anyone else. It can get that bad or i can feel that bad.

The other day I had alot of work to do around the house. I just had a very bad night of sleep so I thought the day would be a bad one too. I walked outside of my house and felt very strange. My surroundings looked like another world. This is caused by what i heard as a panic attack hangover. It went somewhat away as the day went on.
That feeling that you have this worse than anybody else is exactly as I feel.  I think oh they are all coping and getting on with their lives but I'm not.  My symptoms are more severe than theirs etc.  Is this part of anxiety?
Absolutely!
Yes I do d same n wen I compare myself to others I feel more bad about me
Agoraphobia is unfortunately very common with anxiety, especially with panic disorder.  I've experienced different levels of this through the years.  From not being able to go 1 mile to the gas station, to functioning only back and forth to work, to almost anxiety/panic free.  As you get professional help and start addressing the anxiety, everything will eventually fall into place.  It takes time, work and patience to get there, but you will.

The best thing you can do for yourself, besides keeping up with professional care, is to challenge yourself and try your hardest to accomplish those challenges.  At first, the challenges will be very small, maybe just walking to your mailbox and back.  But, as you progress, you will set and reach higher goals.  It is important to celebrate each and every success, no matter how small you perceive them to be.  There are no SMALL victories in this war, they all matter, they all help to build your confidence and help you stop "fearing the fear".  Also, it is important not to be too hard on yourself when you fail to reach a goal you set for yourself, it's OKAY to have bad days.  Be reasonable also, don't set a goal that is unrealistic (ie, driving 100 miles roundtrip by yourself).  Your doctor and therapist can help you with these goals and exercises.  What kind of professional help are you receiving?  If you haven't looked into it yet...look into CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy).  This kind of therapy is excellent in these kinds of situations.  Your therapist will help you set appropriate goals and help you learn how to reach them....by gradually increasing your exposure to anxiety producing situations.

You can do this....keep sharing your experiences.
Thanks everyone.  Still waiting for therapy.

I do try and go out but I never feel any different really.  No sense of achievement and no worse nor better anxietywise.  I just can't work this out at all.  I think I have just become obsessed with the physical symptoms of anxiety and just feel too ill to venture out.
hey! i have the same exact problem! but i started seeing a doctor, i still am pushing myself but i usually quit at things and just feel safe or ok at home, whenever i leave home i feel bad anxiety/panic/depressed and just want to be home. I know its not normal and it has gotten worse since ive gotten older, i just want to live like everyone else without feeling like this. I wake up and im depressed, i go to sleep anxious or thinking about what i have to do the next day, yet i dont have a lot to do, the smallest things feel like a huge deal for me, i can only do a few small things a day, and if i push myself i feel exhausted when i get home. Theres no way id be able to work full time or go to school after dropping out of hs from panic. How does everyone else survive like this? Do we go on disability? Its horrible.
imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
Dalubaba commented on photo