Anxiety Community
Alternative to Sertraline?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Alternative to Sertraline?

I know I have Social Anxiety and not generalized.  I recently lost my job so my anxiety kicked in full gear and caused me a couple bouts of depression.  I tried Sertraline this past weekend and couldn't make it past 3 days at .25mg.  This was my first time taking any SSRI or med.  I just could not handle the heightened anxiety.  Maybe the fact that I'm in school and I have a presentation on Saturday was causing it, but I also had insomnia and I didn't think .25mg of Xanax would take enough of the edge off or help me through the presentation.  I think it may also have to do with my negative and worrying thought process.
Anyway, my psychiatrist upon hearing me said get off of it and we can try something else.  I am open to it, but not sure which may have less of these types of side effects.
Different medications will affect people in different ways.  When I started Sertraline, it actually caused my anxiety to shoot up for a couple of weeks, but after I got adjusted to it (both mentally and physically), I think it was very useful in helping me deal with anxiety while I went through counseling.

Some people may prefer one med to the other, and in my opinion, it can really be a little bit of trial and error when going on an SSRI like Sertraline.  There are many different meds in this class and there are also other options, but the most important step in my opinion is getting involved in talk therapy to learn about the root cause of your anxiety....keep us posted!
Barb135 commented on VICourageous's status
1 hr ago
melimeli commented on veronica0808's status
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms