Anxiety Community
Am i suffering from anixiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Am i suffering from anixiety?

Hey, i've been on here before talkign about my fears of HIV, which i am now completely and utterly over :D

However this may sound so lame and pathetic, but i went to see a horror movie the other night, and i cant seem to get it out of my head. It's affecting my sleep and eating. I can feel myself falling into the same routine i did when i was scared i had HIV.

But surely this isnt right, i mean im 19 years old and afraid of a movie, so much im scared to sleep and its affecting my eating.

Please, anyways to calm down or deal with my fears?

Any advice, views anything to help ease my mind.

Hi Lady Lo,

Congratulations on eliminating your fears of HIV. I think that is something many people have had to deal with. If you don't mind me asking how did you go about overcoming that fear?

As far as the horror movie I know what you mean trying to get it out of your head. There was an old sci fi movie I used to watch that creeped me out and after I watched it could not sleep for a couple of nights. My solution to overcoming that problem was to not watch it again. I also take that position now with all things that I know might bother me in a similar way. I just avoid involving myself in things that creep me and avoid things and places I know will disturb me.

As far as the horror movie creeping into your head, when that happens change your thought process immediately. The thoughts of that movie do not have to control your mind if you don't allow that to happen.

What I do when any negative or disturbing thoughts or visions enter my head is I immediately change those thoughts into pleasant things. I may also change my environment depending on the time of day and depending on what I am doing. Sometimes I will switch my attention to reading something. I may just go outside and switch my thoughts to the day, the sun or whatever comes to mind of a more pleasant nature.

Another thing people sometimes have a tendency to do is dwell on things. Human nature I guess. Don't allow yourself to sit around inviting these thoughts to enter your mind. If you feel that negativity coming on just change what you are doing, take a walk, read a book, call a friend, have a conversation with someone, write a letter and be consistent with those actions. Don't let the negative thoughts take over your and consume your thoughts.

This takes some work at first, but is worth the effort if you commit to doing it. By doing this my negative thoughts usually subside and go away.

Try this and I hope it works for you as well as it has worked for me. Don't get discouraged if this does not work for you immediately. It may take a few times for you to get into the groove. However, by making the effort this should start you on the road to getting those negative horror movie thoughts out of your mind.

Do you have anxiety? I don't know. However, if you need to have that question answered I would consider asking a licensed (licensed to treat patients) health care practitioner who is committed to helping you find the root cause of your problem and that would only recommend prescribing drugs as a last resort.

Best to you,

Dennis
Hey thanks for the advice guys i will take it into account.

Its the first film id watched in ages because i know how much it works me up. I will do what you told me to do to conquer my fears.

In relation to me getting over my HIV fear, all i can say is time, and coming to terms to what really was it the issue. When me and my boyfriend broke up, the HIV thing jsut didnt seem to be an issue for me anymore...i also have a counsellor, but havent seen her ina while, but i have gave her a message to see if she can see me soon. She was a great help and underlined that i have a major issue with the fear that im going to be punished for something.
MinnesotaNate commented on Why You Might Have A ...
TinaR10, and melimeli commented on Moma_Cher's status
ditch6755 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...