Anxiety Community
Amitriptyline increased anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Amitriptyline increased anxiety?

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, posted this originally in the depression forum, but just saw that there was an anxiety forum too...
So I am reposting here:
I started Amitriptyline (Elavil) 11 days ago due to the chronic daily headache/migraines that I have been having for three weeks straight. So far, not too much pain relief. What I am concerned about is it seems to have increased my anxiety and heart rate. Especially in the mornings, as soon as I wake up I feel my heart pounding fast (palpitations) and then I start to panic. I started on 10mg for the first 7 days and moved up to 20mg on the 7th day.

Does anyone know if Amitriptyline increases anxiety? Or does it increase anxiety at the beginning until it settles? I spoke to my family doctor about this and his response was I am on too low a dose for it to affect my anxiety. Should I ask for an additional med (like Xanax?) to combat my anxiety? Keep taking Amit. longer to see if it settles? Please help...
.
Welcome to the Anxiety Forum.
Yes, it is very possible to have increased anxiety when you first start a new med. Usually it will get better. If it does'nt then you do need to speak to your Dr about what's going on.
Many of these meds do have side effects. You can ask you Dr or pharmacist if the med you're taking does have these side effects.  
Thank you for your reply. I have read that some AD will increase anxiety before it settles, however, I have also read that some AD will have the opposite effect if its not the right med for you. I'm on day 11 and my doc said to stick it out until week 3. Will that be sufficient time to know what is causing my anxiety/increased heart rate?
Mollyrae My strengh and support come... Comment
7 mins ago
Mollyrae commented on Why You Might Have A ...
33 mins ago
Amandag78 commented on travel_melb's status