Anxiety Community
And yet another question about Klonopin/Clonazepam

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

This med has helped me so much that I'm wanting to be social again.  That means I might have a drink now and then.  Typically what I [used to] drink is whiskey or bourbon on the rocks.  I'm thinking I'll have the bartender cut it down to a whiskey and coke.

I take .5 mg Clonazepam two times a day.  My first dose is between 7:30 and 10:00 in the morning and I try to take my evening does as close to 8pm as possible.

I weigh approximately 188 pounds.  Probably have zero alcohol tolerance since I haven't drank in a long time.

SO....the question is, if I have a double whiskey & coke at the bar am I going to be blitzed out of my mind?  Even without the K, I have a feeling I'd probably "feel" such a drink if the bartender made it anywhere near generously.  As I said, I haven't drank in a long time.

I want to drink but would like to know a little about what to expect.  I imagine the Klonopin will magnify the effect of the alcohol, but by approximately how much?  And will it make hangovers worse?  I

MOST IMPORTANTLY, will the Klonopin and whiskey combine to make me start puking?  Obviously I don't want that to happen...that would be no fun at all.

Thanks for any answers.

Tags: Anxiety
Well, I haven't drank heavily since college, and even then that was only once in a while.  The only reason I'd like to drink now is for social purposes...going to a bar with friends and having a drink is fun.

I had no idea it would be dangerous.

What if I skipped the evening dose of Clonazepam and then had a drink?  I know K has a long half-life, so that may not be an option.

Going to the bar would be a once or twice a month thing, at most.  When my panic attacks struck my stomach so hard, it caused gastritis and so I've had maybe five drinks in the last two and a half years.  It's definitely not hard for me to stay away from alcohol.

I know this will be an unpopular question and I hope it's not taken the wrong way, but is there any other way I can get "socially" intoxicated while on the Klonopin?  I'm not much of a marijuana guy.  In between high school and college I experimented with various pills but I don't remember what they were.

You and everyone else can probably tell by reading my posts in this forum that I'm not much of a drug taker.  This really is just a once in a while sort of thing.  Being an artist and musician, sometimes it can be helpful to get into an "alternate reality", so to speak.  

It's not something I NEED to do but it's something I'd like to do every great now and then.

I'd asked you what may happen if I got mixed up and accidentally took two doses of Clonazepam close together, and you just said it would sedate me.  So I guess that's not an option.  I'm looking to get sort of "chill" and open minded.  I don't want to die or even fall asleep.

Thanks for your answer.  I came really close to stopping by a bar this evening and not I'm very glad I didn't.
Well, it's not really a "tradeoff" since I couldn't drink or anything before taking Klonopin, either.

I'm sure this post will be deleted, but if I wanna get "drunk" I guess it's going to have to be pot.  I don't really like pot.  Dammit.  My other choices were my old pain pills from surgery (Hydrocodone, Darvocet) and I'm pretty sure they're not options, either.  Not that I'd ever do them anyway because I hate pills (which is why I still have full bottles).

I guess it's sobriety for me.  Forever.  
I take Xanax (I'm in the processing of weaning off now) and have drank, only one or two max, with it.  It makes me feel EXTREMELY sleepy, like to the point where I can't even stand up when I do so.  So, if you do decide to drink on Klonopin, watch out.  I used to smoke pot, too - actually, I MUCH prefer it to the effects of alcohol.  It started giving me massive, horrible panic attacks so I had to quit.  Right now, you couldn't pay me enough to smoke pot because of the terror it I went through while using it.  Being sober isn't so bad, really - I guess it's a trade-off.  If you feel like you need Klonopin and it's worth it not to drink then that is a good choice for you.  Personally, I'm glad I'm getting off Xanax - I have lived with anxiety since I was a little kid and am happy to be going back to dealing with it my old way - naturally, and just riding out the anxiety and panic when it comes along.
Jade59 commented on stilltrying1965's status
1 hr ago
Avatar n tn
steve263 commented on A very inspiring colu...
30th June
6 hrs ago by char1234vass
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms