Anxiety/Atian
Hello, I'm new here.  I've suffered from anxiety for the last year after a close family member was diagnosed with cancer.  I've tried antidepressants to no avail.  Either I couldn't sleep, or they made my anxiety worse.

I've tried Klonopin and that unfortunately made me feel depressed.  Ativan seems to help, but a full mg. makes me very tired while helping the anxiety.  The instructions on the bottle say to take 1 mg 3 times a day as needed.  I've never taken near that much in a day.  I also have Valium here but a 5 mg tablet made me incredibly drowsy.

I honestly prefer a more natural approach, and I can tolerate Gaba and Theanine but they just aren't as effective for me as the Rx meds.

Any suggestions?  I completely understand the issue of dependance and how it differs from addiction.  2 doctors, a PA, and my Therapist all have no problems with me taking the Ativan.  If I have to be on a low-ish dose of this forever that's ok.

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry for the extremely bad news that has brought you here.

I'm very happy to hear that you have a therapist to help you deal with everything you're going through.

The question of meds can be a real tricky issue. Are you, and/or your doctors, wanting you on a benzodiazepine daily, or is the idea to take something strictly prn (as needed)?

I see they've tried you on a fair number of meds and it looks like the Ativan has been the most successful in helping you.
If the dose your doctor has prescribed is too much for you at this time, tell him and have the dose adjusted to what works for you. Many doctors will leave it to the patient to control their own doses by writing on the script label something like "Take 1/2mg in am. May take 1/2mg every 4-6 hours as needed up to 2mg in 12 hour period." That allows you the leeway to decide when and if you need to take another dose.

Medications like Klonopin are good for long term use.....as in YEARS. I'm just not sure you need that. You're going through a crisis right now and may not need something in your system 24/7. Ativan is a good med to use on an as needed basis. Nturally this is something you and your doctor need to discuss, but I'd suggest you try taking it prn for now and see if that works.

And good for you and your doctors for having the attitude that even if you need to be on a low dose for the rest of life, than that's the way it will be. And don't let anybody try to saddle you with terms like "junkie or drug addict."

Do what works for you, it's YOUR quality of life were talking about here. Damn the torpedos!
I wish you peace
Greenlydia  

P.S.
You could go to our Complimentary Medicine Forum and talk with Paxiled about natural remedies. If anybody would know what might work for you, it's him!