Anxiety Community
Anxiety/Blood Pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety/Blood Pressure

I am hoping someone can help me with some suggestions. I was recently diagnosed as being pre hypertensive. This was about 6 months ago. I started changing my lifestyle lost weight exercised regularly and watched my diet. I lost 12 KG in the process and am still going for more. According to my doctor my BP had dropped to normal levels without medication however whenever i would check at home i would get higher reading first then perfectly normal readings a few minutes later. I realized i was very stressed about my BP and one day did an experiment. I took my BP readings (135/85) after which i took a Xanax tablet wow after 45 minutes my BP was 115/75 and it stayed that way till the next morning. I realized my BP  was directly related to my Anxiety levels and i seem to have developed an irrational fear of Blood Pressure and its complications. I want to rid myself of this fear and Anxiety which i am sure will assist in long term BP management for me. I would appreciate some suggestions on  how to do this. Will drugs like Xanax cause long term side effects. Can i do this naturally.        
Are you taking your BP after you've sat quietly for at least 5 minutes? I know mine can be a little higher if I go get the BP machine and take it right away. After sitting quietly for awhile though it's normal.
Yes, anxiety can cause your BP to go up. And so can getting anxious about taking it. Don't be afraid of the BP machine.
Xanax is really meant for panic attacks and not for every day use. Although some people do take it every day. It can be highly additive. Are you on any other meds for you anxiety?
Thanks for your response. Yes i have also noticed the difference. When i first take my BP reading my number is almost always high. After sitting down and calming myself down it comes to down to normal levels. For instance this morning i knew i was stressed  about the BP and my reading was 150/86. After 2 minutes it came down to 125/85 which is what i now think my average is. I am overweight and although i have lost 12 kilos i intend to loose another 20kg's this year by when i hope to keep my BP under the 115/75 mark. I am not taking anything else for anxiety however i do keep a xanax with me for those really bad moments. I am hoping for some suggestions that helps me keep my anxiety in control naturally.            
I know how it feels to have anxiety about blood pressure only with me I get anxiety about it being too low. My BP has always been on the low side of normal. Usually around 105-110 over 70-80. Sometimes though it goes lower like I just checked it now and it's 96/61 (probably because I haven't been up and moving around) but when it drops this low I start to get panicky because that seems too low but I've read Drs. don't consider someone to have low BP unless it's like below 90/60 and just one number has to be below that. I've had the bottom number at like 58 or 59 before but not very often. haha I'd rather have my BP a bit higher than lower I think. Trade me?
joihn joined this community
Welcome them!
TinaR10 commented on Moma_Cher's status
pixielv commented on Tramadol & Ultram...