Anxiety Community
Anxiety/Cut Sugar out of Diet?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety/Cut Sugar out of Diet?

In my recent posts, I was going through some anxiety symptoms again due to a bad blood work report that I received (my tryglycerides were 620).  I have to be honest, I have not been eating and drinking correctly.

Well, the good news is that it has been a week and I have been doing well on my strict diet that I came up with.  But I didn't know if it was "too strict".  I know this isn't actually an anxiety issue, but all of you guys have been so nice that I thought I would throw this out to see if anyone knew.

I cut out the carbs (the bad ones) and knocked off all the snacking between meals, late eating, bad eating (no fried foods at all, this is a tough one), etc.  I also cut out all sugar.  I wasn't a big sugar eater like eating candy bars but I used sugar in coffee, and I'm sure some of the foods I was eating had sugar in them.  Of course, they tasted good!

Anyway, its only been a week but occassionally I feel a little "foggy" and tired.  Not all the time but in the afternoons sometimes.  Of course, with the stupid anxiety, I start thinking the worst and I try not to.  But could my blood sugar be down and cause this "foggy" or lathargic feeling?

Again, I'm sorry about not being an anxiety topic but as I said before, this group is wonderful.

Thanks,
YES!  If your blood sugar levels are low this can cause "foggyness".  Try snacking on  fruit in the afternoon which contains natural, non-processed, sugar and see if this helps.  Also, are you incorporating any zero calorie sugars into your diet (equal, splender etc.)?  Some of these have been shown to cause unpleasant symptoms in certain individuals (nervousness, brain fog, lerthary, etc.).
Congratulations on you moves you have made to change your lifestyle!  GOOD JOB!
Cutting sugar out of your diet can cause a "withdrawal" and your body can be going through that.  Try eating a few grapes around that time and see if it helps your foggy feeling.  This way you will get a natural sugar and not a refined one.  Best of luck.  Let us know how you feel.
Thanks guys for your quick responses.  This is one thing that I'm not eating at all, fruit.  Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and the advice.  I'm going to try the fruits when I feel like this.  That's a great idea!

Thanks for the words of encouragement on changing my lifestyle.  Its tough but I'm told it gets easier.  But I look forward to the summer where I shed about 30 pounds, be physically fit and actually feel great.

Thanks again

Dave
Dave,

You have inspired me!  I think I am going to jump on the bandwagon too!  I am the worst eater around and I really need to do something about it.  Thanks for your suggestions!!!!

Susan
Well, thank you so much for the kind words!  That was very nice of you and I'm so happy that I can actually help someone else out.

I have done this before, losing the weight, eating right, exercising, etc.  And it really, really works.  My problem is that i get to a point where I want and then start falling off the path, so too speak, and then about a year later, I feel like ****.  But once you start, you feel great.

If I can give any advice, what I have done is cut out all the bad carbs, especailly bread (which was my weakness) along with pasta.  And eat a lot of chicken and fish, its great.  I also am taking Omega 3 fish oil and magnesium (which is one of the best minerals for you body).  The magnesium relaxes your arteries, relaxes your heart helps with anxiety, etc.

But I have been doing this for a week now and feel so much better and I can't wait unitl a month comes and so on.  I also cut back on the beer drinking which I like.  Instread of having some on Fri, Sat and Sun, I cut it back to only 1 day a week and not to drink a lot.  That also helps a lot.  That, the fish oil and the good diet and exercise will get my numbers to where I want them.

But keep it up and you will do great and you will fell great as well!

Lastly, I mentioned that I did this before.  One time, I was able to lose about 30 pounds in 3 months just by eating a ton of chicken (skinless, baked, etc) exercise and watching everything.  I can't tell you how good it feels and really feels good when people notice.
MattyTaylor Happy Halloween! Comment
melimeli Happy Halloween! Comment
melimeli commented on mhv's status