Anxiety Community
Anxiety/Panic Attack or Heart Issue?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Anxiety/Panic Attack or Heart Issue?

Hi, I'm wondering if any can chime in about symptoms I've been feeling last couple weeks, especially last few days.

I have had an issue with being woken in the night with my heart pounding (not racing, pulse is usually 80-100bpm), and sometimes a flushing feeling in my stomach for more than a year or two. This is usually accompanied by a dream where I am exerting myself (chasing someone, being chased, etc.). I have constant stomach issues and pain that also wake me up. So sleep is not great.

But a couple weeks ago I awoke with a very sharp pain on the left side of my chest and a little under my left arm. Didn't go away for more than 30min. I was sleeping on left side. Since then, this has subsided a bit, and I avoid sleeping on left side. I've felt a bit of discomfort at times (more pressure than pain) under my left armpit.

And a coupe days ago, I was sitting talking to someone in the evening when I suddenly became very dizzy and lightheaded. I had a bit of difficulty focusing my thoughts as well, but possibly due to wondering what was happening. Eventually went home. Just took it easy, as I felt generally pretty weak. But I have no symptoms of sickness.

Then, this morning at 5am, I was awakened by a very intense 'attack'. It didn't seem to be associated with a typical dream. My heart was pounding very heavily, and this time I felt a flushing or heat flash over the left side of my face for a few minutes. This has NEVER happened before. I just sat in bed and completely focused on being calm and peaceful. After a while, it died down but never fully went away. And I had to remain on my back, not my sides, or things would get worse.

Today there is still a bit of pressure or heart palpitations on the left side of my chest, and there is also a bit of pressure under my left armpit. I have no numbness or tingling in arm/face, though. And I've never experienced 'shortness of breath' (I can take deep breaths during these episodes). Just feel pretty weak and 'out-of-it' overall.

- Thoughts anyone???

- Are these symptoms of panic attack, or possibly something worse?

I have never taken any meds for anxiety, nor have I seen a doctor about any of this. Unfortunately, I don't have insurance and just started the application for it last night. So I would love to wait a few weeks til that kicks in, but don't want to take any chances.