Anxiety/Panic switching meds
Hello. I'm wondering about my course of action. 2 years ago I began having panic attacks I'd been having them all my life, just not close enough for me to see a pattern. Alot was going on...cross-country moves, my husband started a new job several states away and we had to stay and try to sell the house, which was difficult...anyway, we finally moved and I was able to see my old doctor for a checkup. She prescribed Paxil CR for panic, and we also found out I had ovarian cancer. I had surgery, all is fine for now. still on the Paxil CR 25 mg.  9 months ago my husband was laid off, and still is. We finally qualified for state medical coverage, but it does not cover Paxil or Paroxetine. My Dr. switched me to Prozac 20 mg. whcih they do pay for. Seriously, we haven't a penny to spare and opur house is goinginto foreclosure,.  I've never seen a therapist about this, and my doctor is more of an ob/gyne. I've read that I should just be able to switch meds with no tapering. I can't cut the CR pills unfortunately. I still have a few Paxils left, I thought I would wait to make the swithc until my husband is back from TExas at a job interview. I wouldn't mind being drug-free, and maybe getting something to take when panic strikes instead of all the time.  although the Paxil has been very good for me. I have had no side effects, except I get a headache when I miss one. What are your thoughts about switching?
I am sorry you have so much on your plate right now.  I would not do anything medication related without the advice of your doctor first.  Playing around with these can be much more of a problem than it is worth and can be dangerous depending on what you do.  Do you have access to a therapist?  I know for me, this was the most important step I took in dealing with the anxiety.  
I would try tapering off the paxil if at all possible start cutting down to the 12.5 mgs  I know many times drug companies will offer assistance for those without insurance coverage.   I sure wouldn't try to go drug free without the advice of a physician. I personally found that therapy worked better for me than meds did.

Good luck to you
I am working on finding a therapist. The last one I had wouldn't let me leave until I let him hug me (I know, freaky) and I never went back, and  well, here I am. I see my new md. on Thursday, maybe she can give me some advice. It's just that I feel like I know more about this stuff than any of my doctors. I wish I could keep my Paxil but at $125 a month, there is no way. I wish the CR pills could be cut. The list of things I have is crazy. Out of all the doctors I could pick from she was the only one who is board certified, which I thought was really wierd for a state-funded program. I think I will hold off the switch at least until then, or maybe ask for a lower dose Paxil CR, I think the lower the dose the less expensive they are.
thanks to you for your insight. I ended up switching from Paxil CR 25 to Paxil 20 (gneric),which surprisingly my insurance pays for. I made the switch today with no adverse things happening, although I know it could be delayed. The goal at this point is to taper off the paxil 20, then get onto prozac. Although maybe I will just stay on the paxil if it keeps going well. The Paxil Cr has been great for me, but inusrance doesn't pay any of it, not even for generic. I found I was less tired today, actually pretty perky, although that could be psychosomatic. I do get awfully tired on the Paxil Cr, I can't beleive it took me so long to make the connection between the paxil cr and being tired. It just kind of crept up on me...sometimes I would feel drugged, it reminded me of when I was in the hospital after major surgery and I was just floating, like if I never moved a muscle again I would be fine with that.  I can't beleive I never even thought to blame the paxil cr for that. But I haven't had a panic attack since the day I started taking it, even with all the surgeries and other things that have happened, so I feel almost like I am betraying a friend for thinking about getting off of it.
Do you know that Generic Paxil is included in Walmarts 4.00 Generic RX program. Perhaps you can verify that with your local Walmart & see if you can get your Dr to write you a generic RX.

Sorry you are having such a rough period. Best of luck to you!
Yes that is good to know, if I stay on the paxil 20, and when we get new insurance I will certainly go that route.
On my second day of paxil 20. I feel great. Actually I was a little jittery this morning for a while, but maybe it is just in comparison to how tired I was before. Other than that I am very pleased so far.
So glad to hear that you feel better. I have tried a Zoloft & celexa I couldnt handle those SSRI's, Paxil is the one that doesnt make me feel "weird."

Keep on feeling better :)

yes-I've always felt pretty good on paxil, although it was the only one I'd tried. I think I actually feel better on the Paxil 20 as compared to the Paxil CR 25, although I don't know why that would be.
I've read alot about wieght gain and paxil, but it wasn't a problem for 2 years until now. I've noticed that just my lower belly seems to be pooched out, rather suddenly. SO tht could be a result of the hysterectomy, age, paxil, or Halloween, or all of them. Or my cancer could be coming back. I'll have my blood test results soon.
I probably gained 40lbs since I started. And I dont eat tons but im not overly active either. But the paxil def played a part in my weight gain.