Anxiety Community
Anxiety affecting my driving

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Anxiety affecting my driving

I have bad anxiety- it is now affecting my driving. Has this happened to anyone else?
Gee -- do you think?
Sorry- this is new to me. Are you always this rude?
How exactly is your driving affected?  Are you afraid to drive?  Avoiding driving?

To ease your mind.....driving phobias are VERY VERY VERY common amongst people with anxiety problems.  You are FAR from alone.

Can you elaborate a bit as to what's going on, I may be able to give you some suggestions.  I personally have dealt with driving phobias quite a bit, especially during very anxious times in my life.

Hang in there.....we're here for you.
Guess I was a bit flip, sorry.  No, not usually rude.  It's just that if you study anxiety, you'll see driving is one of the most common problems we have.  Sorry if I made your day any worse.  My bad.
Glad to see you apologized, paxilled.  :0)  I have never noticed you to be rude, and was quite taken aback! .

We ALL have to remember that these issues are NOT common knowledge to a lot of people, and many posters coming here ARE just experiencing these things for the first time.  Therefore, even though it may be the 1,001 time we have posted about something, it may be the first time someone is reading it!

Hey Sweetie, I have had my first SERIOUS attack while driving on the highway..not fun at all. I pulled over, threw my pack of ciggerattes out the window think that could of triggered it and then called 911. I went to the ER and was put on paxil. Still had a ton of anxiety attacks while driving but my doctor adjusted my dose. I haven't had one driving in a long time but am going through the anxiety again. This time I am getting pains and weakness in my arms and legs. It is bothing me and really giving me the whole "MS" scare. Try not to drive on highways. Also, if you feel an attack coming on , tell yourself it will be ok and take deep breaths. It will help. I promise. I think I am the queen of anxiety. Not to be cocky but I am going though so much right now and I am so scared to see a neurologist thinking that I may have MS. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
I have a driving phobia too.
I have an anxiety and panic disorder.
If forced to drive somewhere,I'm constantly tense and will not drive on highways.
I saw a psychiatrist for a number of years regarding the driving problem.
I was on Lexapro for about 4 years, and although it helped somewhat with the anxiety, it didn't alleviate the driving phobia.
I'm still trying.
I used to love love love driving. In fact a few years ago before my anxiety, it was what calmed me down, I would drive for hours just to clear my head. Then I had a panic attack in the car and ever since then driving has become such a large issue for me that I rarely ever go someplace by myself. I try to distract myself....i.e. singing with the radio, I notice having a window down is a little better, sometimes I even count the number of red cars or blue cars, etc. to take my mind off of it. Everyone has their own way of dealing with it and I still get scared when I know I have to drive. Everytime I drive though and get through it without a panic attack I consider it a good day :)
It absolutely affects my driving! Hard to drive when u feel dizzy or weak!
I almost think it may be the vehicle I'm in as well.  I had them in my car when my kids and I were younger, but had to deal with them b/c I had to get my kids to and from.  Now my kids are driving and it's just me.  I'm much worse in two of the cars I drive, but not as bad as the third one.  I had an attack in one of them which is a wide car, the other one is a HUGE truck and the one that doesn't affect me as bad is the mid-sized SUV.  A control issue...maybe?? I am going to overcome this and drive again, alone, on Interstates and bridges!  ( I live on Interstate 10)!!
Take a bus. Catch a Ride. Walk. Problem Solved.
Had my first ever anxiety attack... while driving 2 months ago -  and it was a beauty!. I didn;t know what was happening to me as I never had one before and was convinced I was dying.

Since then I have been having small attacks pretty much anywhere, Driving isn;t as enjoyable as it used to be.. I used to love it... as I still feel anxious when driving.

and I also notice that if I smoke or have coffee, the attacks are triggered, so cutting those out asap.

I hope there's hope - I don't want meds, can anyone suggest any natural alternative?
Hi - I stubbled upon this site looking for answers - I thought I was alone in this!  My driving fear has gotten so bad that it totally controls my life - I was on Xanax for a while and in the beginning it worked like a charm I felt like my old self again in control - but then it seemed to stop working - I managed to drive for about three months but now I can't seem to go any faster than 15-20 miles an hour and let me say I am getting a lot of hand gestures! When I am driving and the car starts to go fast I automatically hit the brakes - I have this sudden feeling like the car isn't going to stop - I have never been in an accident or had any trauma- My children were coming over for a while and driving me to and from work or where I need to go when my husband is traveling for work - but all of this is taken a toll on them - they have their lives to live - so I back to taking the bus, walking or just not going out other than work - I am getting so upset about this -  Everything I read or research says don't give up - but how when every time I get behind that wheel I just want to cry - Thanks for listening -

if I feel drugged with meds , it effects my driving , you seem to take more risks . I remember going out early one morning for a blast in my car on the English country roads .  I love the buzz of rallying round the county lanes in my fiat 500 Abarth . I always take my main meds at 6 am  and this was 8am.    I  had that drunk feeling has I was heading for a spot I no I can let rip , Then I did a school boy error  , has I took a corner I kerbed the left side alloys .   I stopped and looked at the battered alloys and the kerb and new I would not have done that at say 2pm has the meds would have settled down . SO I turned the car round and went home , it was a sign to me I was out of it, and could hurt someone .
I had my first panic attack going south a couple yrs ago. I had stayed up late and got up early the next morning. I worried about driving back later in the day since only having a couple hours of sleep. I am terrified of heights . Going thru VA there is a place called Fancy Gap mountain and it is high. As you go down u can see for miles. I was ok going, coming back was another story. My heart raced , I shook all over and I felt as tho my head was going to roll off my shoulders. Drove 55 mph  for about 4hrs (should only have taken 2or so). Was never afraid to drive b4. Was terrified to cross bridges afterwards. Finally I would make myself drive across bridges and would count how long it took to cross. It did help. I still have some anxiety . Not doing it only makes it worse. What also helped...my Dr said " just remember these fears are only ur imagination" hope this helps. Knowing ur not alone is also comforting.
joznomoore joined this community
Welcome them!
28 mins ago
specialmom commented on Jade59's status
refills commented on pillguy's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms