Anxiety Community
Anxiety after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety after surgery

Hi all,

I used to post here several years ago.  I had health anxiety but have been dealing with it pretty well since I left this board a few years ago.  However, about 3 months ago, I had lung surgery to remove a large benign tumor from my right lung.  The surgery couldn't have gone better but it was a very stressful experience because the tumor could have been cancerous.

Anyway, I continue to feel fatigue, sick, my sinuses and scalp hurt when I press on them and I get tension headaches.  This started about a month after the surgery.  The fatigue can be caused by the surgery.  Although, it's only supposed to last 6-8 weeks.  I've been to see my doctor about my latest symptoms and so far they've only ran blood tests and she doesn't know what exactly is causing me to feel this way.

On top of the stress from the surgery and the thoughts of possible recurrence of the tumor, I now have to deal with these new symptoms.  I'm sure that the stress from the surgery and not knowing what is wrong with me has contributed to my physical ailments and has heightened my health anxiety.  The physical aspects of it makes me depressed because I'm unable to do the things I enjoy.  

I guess I just need to vent and a little support.

Thank you.
Try obtaining a supplement called Fu Zheng from Herbalist and Alchemist.  It's a Chinese adaptogenic formula that can help with the after effects of surgery.  Remember, you were on a lot of meds, went through a lot of stress, and are now having to recover.  It takes time.
Thanks for the suggestion.  However, I am very cautious of Chinese herbal medicine.  They have not been tested or approved by the FDA.  

There's something else going on with me.  I know my body. This can't be due to just stress and recovery from the surgery.  I need to overcome my fear and let my doctors run more tests. Whatever happens, happens.  My doctor wanted me to get a sinus series but I didn't want to be exposed to more radiation.  I've had so many in the last several months.  I'll ask if they can do an MRI instead.  At least, that doesn't involve radiation.

We can rejoice that the tumor was benign.  Your experience of the surgery included so many feelings, as well as the physical reality.  No small thing.  Certainly a major event in your life.

Dealing with your heightened health anxieties may require you to follow your doctor's suggestion to check out your sinuses, as these symptoms seem unrelated to your lungs.

I am a 3 yr anal cancer survivor, and work each day on accepting what is real.  I am still here, but as you may imagine with a changed body.  I believe the cancer has left and will not return.  Minor surgery (oxymoronic combination of words?:)) last week was supposed to relieve radiation scarring.  I had gastric and muscular difficulty but that is passing......

I felt little post op pain, but much uncertainty about the outcome.    For me, it is the feelings that cause  fatigue  Your symptoms may well have an organic core. So a few more tests will let you know.

Facing your fear is the important thing.  I understand your fear of radiation. Altho' we can be glad to live in a technically advanced era, with life saving technologies, there is no question that we suffer consequences from treatment.  

Glad you posted.  Keep us informed on your progress.
The FDA does no testing of anything.  They merely require certain steps be followed in order to get approval.  Not that it's an easy thing, but you're basically ruling out all natural remedies from your life because none can afford to get FDA approval -- only patented products can afford all that animal testing.  I mean, do you use aspirin?  Not approved or tested by the FDA.  Not telling you what to do, but you're limiting yourself to patented pharmaceutical medicine, the newest and riskiest form of medicine there is.  Medicine is a much broader subject than that.
Thank you for the encouragement.  It's helpful to converse with people who have gone through similar circumstances. It makes it more bearable knowing that we're not alone.  I'm am more than happy for you that you have been cancer-free.  Stories like yours are an inspiration.  

I guess what's also adding to my anxiety is the fact that I have to return to work tomorrow after 3 months off.  I'm just not ready for it physically.  I'm tired most of the time.  So, I don't know how I will be able to function.  Otherwise, I am looking forward to returning.  It will be nice to feel productive and get my life back to normal.

Thanks again and I wish you the best.  

I understand what you are saying.  And actually, those things crossed my mind as I wrote my response.  However, the main reason why I am very cautious of Chinese herbal medicine, now, is because my mother was recently hospitalized. It appears that she has cirrhosis of the liver.  Her doctor informed us that, in his experience, cases of cirrhosis of the liver are due to several reasons; 1) drinking 2) auto-immune disease 3) Hepatitis 4) medicine that people take over their lifetime, whether it be pharmacological or herbal.  He deals with many elderly Chinese patients who used herbal medicines over their lifetime and has witnessed this. I realize that these patients probably took large amounts over their lifetimes and small amounts are probably not harmful.  I prefer to stay away from them at this point.  However, I doubt my condition could be resolved by herbal medicine.  As I mentioned in my previous post, there's something else going on with me.  

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Good luck tomorrow.  You will be anxious to begin with, but I'm betting that will pass as you get back into the routine of work.   I often wish I had a job of some sort to keep me occupied.  Retirement @ 70 was hard for me to do...........as I too loved being productive.

Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
30 mins ago
jedsie commented on Why You Might Have A ...
OncecleanNserene commented on Tramadol & Ultram...