Anxiety Community
Anxiety and Bladder Issues

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Anxiety and Bladder Issues

Is it possible to have bladder issues with anxiety?  It feels I have to go to the bathroom all the time.  I don't have a bladder infection and my doctor assures me I'm fine.  I do have health anxiety...I've been to mayo and been checked out by a rheumatologist and a neuro and they also assure me that I'm perfectly healthy.  However, I can't shake the fear of having a serious health issue, like ms, and the bladder issues just won't go away.  Can anxiety do this?
Absolutely, I am dealing with this right now!   My bladder just will NOT relax enough to empty completely so I feel like I have to "go" all the time.  This is the second time this has happened to this degree, with the first time being in 07.  This has happened each time I've quit smoking and I assume the tension in my bladder is due to my rise in anxiety with my quit.  In 07, I went so far as to go to the ER because I was in so much pain.  Had an ultrasound and bladder looked fine and no UTI.  I was given a script for  Ditropan (overactive bladder med) and Valium as Valium can be used to relax the bladder as was explained to me.  From there, I went to a Urologist.  He did an exam, another test for UTI (which was negative) then wanted me to return to have my bladder "stretched."  That sounded painful and I magically got better after that LOL.  

I think between the meds and my anxiety easing up, my bladder started to relax and it all went away.  I quit smoking again 6wks ago, have been very anxious and this bladder problem returned.  Just Today, does it seem to be easing up.  I didn't panic this time because I knew what was happening.  

Anxiety can create bizarre problems in the body and seeing that you have been to several doctors and you've been declared "healthy," what you now need to do is try your best to not focus on it because that will make it much worse which I'm sure you already know.  The meds I mentioned helped quickly...maybe ask your doctor about them.  

Hope you feel better soon.
I agree. I have anxiety too and at times I'm constantly running to the bathroom.
Mine is definately nerves.
Thanks so much for the advice!  I know it has to be anxiety because when I'm keeping busy at work or at home, I feel so much better.  It's like the symptoms completely disappear for a bit.  But when I sit and spend time alone it gets much worse.
I have the same problem ok during the day come 5-6 in the evening I have trouble going I have anxiety  and panick disorder I hope somebody can put my mind at rest I get so scared
I have the same problem. It takes me a few seconds to start urinating and I feel like I go to the bathroom 25 times a day! I believe it to be an ocd issue, my mind telking me I have to pee when I really don't.  Which is where the urinary hesitancy comes in, then that gives me anxiety. Anxiety is a horrible curse! !
Same here. I just think it's all in your head, but who am I to judge, I have the same issue too.
I've had a similar problem for three months and it is driving me crazy with worry, anxiety and lack of sleep. I have this frequent need to urinate, but I don't have a need to rush to the bathroom when the feeling comes on. What happens is that I feel discomfort - a sort of mild pain and a feeling of pressure - as the bladder fills up and then I need to go because urinating relieves the discomfort in the bladder, but then it soon comes back and I need to go again. I wake up in the night with the same sensation and need to go. Sometimes just a few drops come out, but even that relieves the discomfort. I don't have any incontinence. I am an anxious person, and this situation seems to have come on after a period of depression. I had similar but less serious problems before that, with wanting to go but nothing or hardly anything coming out, but then there was no discomfort in-between going - now there is and it is making it x10 worse. All the tests so far have proved negative - I don't have any urine retention problems and all urine samples were clear of infection or protein. All blood tests have been fine. I am seeing a urologist next month.
Jade59 commented on nonights's status
Jade59 commented on cast out
Jade59 commented on clean_in_ks's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms