Anxiety Community
Anxiety and Bladder Issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety and Bladder Issues

Is it possible to have bladder issues with anxiety?  It feels I have to go to the bathroom all the time.  I don't have a bladder infection and my doctor assures me I'm fine.  I do have health anxiety...I've been to mayo and been checked out by a rheumatologist and a neuro and they also assure me that I'm perfectly healthy.  However, I can't shake the fear of having a serious health issue, like ms, and the bladder issues just won't go away.  Can anxiety do this?
Absolutely, I am dealing with this right now!   My bladder just will NOT relax enough to empty completely so I feel like I have to "go" all the time.  This is the second time this has happened to this degree, with the first time being in 07.  This has happened each time I've quit smoking and I assume the tension in my bladder is due to my rise in anxiety with my quit.  In 07, I went so far as to go to the ER because I was in so much pain.  Had an ultrasound and bladder looked fine and no UTI.  I was given a script for  Ditropan (overactive bladder med) and Valium as Valium can be used to relax the bladder as was explained to me.  From there, I went to a Urologist.  He did an exam, another test for UTI (which was negative) then wanted me to return to have my bladder "stretched."  That sounded painful and I magically got better after that LOL.  

I think between the meds and my anxiety easing up, my bladder started to relax and it all went away.  I quit smoking again 6wks ago, have been very anxious and this bladder problem returned.  Just Today, does it seem to be easing up.  I didn't panic this time because I knew what was happening.  

Anxiety can create bizarre problems in the body and seeing that you have been to several doctors and you've been declared "healthy," what you now need to do is try your best to not focus on it because that will make it much worse which I'm sure you already know.  The meds I mentioned helped quickly...maybe ask your doctor about them.  

Hope you feel better soon.
I agree. I have anxiety too and at times I'm constantly running to the bathroom.
Mine is definately nerves.
Thanks so much for the advice!  I know it has to be anxiety because when I'm keeping busy at work or at home, I feel so much better.  It's like the symptoms completely disappear for a bit.  But when I sit and spend time alone it gets much worse.
I have the same problem ok during the day come 5-6 in the evening I have trouble going I have anxiety  and panick disorder I hope somebody can put my mind at rest I get so scared
I have the same problem. It takes me a few seconds to start urinating and I feel like I go to the bathroom 25 times a day! I believe it to be an ocd issue, my mind telking me I have to pee when I really don't.  Which is where the urinary hesitancy comes in, then that gives me anxiety. Anxiety is a horrible curse! !
meuhmy added the Weight Tracker
djpepper joined this community
Welcome them!
specialmom commented on The worst week.