Anxiety Community
Anxiety and Panic Attacks from being alone..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Has anyone recovered from severe anxiety about being alone?  I am unable to drive more than a couple miles from home alone.  Have the fear that something is going to happen and I will not be able to find a "safe" person. Can't even go in stores by myself right now unless my husband is siting in the car and has his cell phone.  I had this anxiety/panic issue about 20 years ago and got over it.  I am now 43 and having difficulty getting over this. Can anyone who has experienced the same please offer some advice?  Your world becomes so small when you are unable to get out by yourself...
Sorry you are going through such a difficult time.  I too suffer from anxiety and it was just a few months ago that I hit rock bottom.  My anxiety is mostly health and generalized anxiety not so much being alone but I think anyone that has anxiety can relate to you.

The first thing I would suggest is that you go see your dr if you haven't already done so.  It might be a good idea to get a physical and full bloodwork up just to make sure your levels are all O.K.

You need to know that you can overcome anxiety.  It takes alot of hard work and determination but it can be done.  You have to face your fears in order to overcome it.

You should consider seeing a psychatrist.  One that specializes in cognitive behavorial therapy might be really helpful for you.  Together you can figure out a treatment plan for you that will help you to face your fears and get to the bottom of what is causing your anxiety.

Also make sure you are getting enough sleep and exercise.  Taking a multi vitamin might not be a bad idea.  Keeping a journal can be really helpful also.

Just know that you are not alone and you can beat this!!!  Lots of luck to you....

I wish we lived close to one another...we could be one anothers "safe" person. I have the same problem, I'm fine when my husband is home but the minute he leaves for work, I suddenly feel very sick! I can only go to store when he goes with me. IT IS HORRIBLE!!!! These panic attacks are new to me and I wish they would go away as fast as they came. I love to shop and socialize but now find it difficult to go to the doctors! I went to Target by myself yesterday and just did alot of self talking. I told myself to try and stay five minutes. I stayed by the door in the dollar section and once I did that, I felt a little more comfortable to go to the register to purchase my items. BABY STEPS. I'm getting a little better but I take 2 steps forward and once step back. You were able to beat the anxiety 20 years ago, you can do it again!!!! Do you know why they have come back to haunt you, anything stressful going on that you need to address? My husband is supportive but in no way knows how this feels. He will say, "you just need to do it, you will be fine." Standing in line at a store and wanting to scream because you feel like you are going to pass out at any moment, is not fine. My doctor prescibed me Ativan but I get anxiety just thinking about taking that and not knowing how it will make me feel. I hope and pray that you get better soon :) Michelle
omg you could be me!?!?! I get upset about being alone and for a long while clung to my husband like glue. I have been doing a cognitive therapy and really really reccomend the Ekhart Tolle books. It has been helping alot! I have begun to let my husband venture out without me. I really am getting ok with it. I got stuck on the idea that if i was alone i could hurt myself cuz my mind and body let me down so much i didn't trust myself. I had the same sitch about 20 years ago as well and barely drive. sounds so much the same. One thing that has been making a difference is that I am meditating every morning and doing a 20 min Richard Simmons exercise video. It seems to help set my day off better. I have been so stuck in my head and thinking about thought that I was sure I had gone crazy. One thing also is to think "what is so" and then "so what" (insert worst thing that could happen" and then "and then what" it usually turns out to be not that huge of a deal. Also how I feel and function with a safe person around is really still me. I am very recently being able to go to stores but I still get that sense of unreality and dizzy but it is true, the more you can do it the easier it gets. Also :) one of my books says to give yourself permission to be ok with whatever decision you make. Be ok if you can't go in the store today, be ok if you don't want to be alone today. I drew the pic that is my profile pic, it has me in the sun with the rays being breathe, now, etc and the clouds as the junk I look at that every day to remember to be in the now and thoughts can't hurt me. Just notice them and let them be without trying to block them and focus your attention elsewhere. I have a ton of good notes from books and write alot and am feeling a tiny bit better every day but baby steps are still steps so i am hopeful, we can chat and friend up more if you want as we sould so identical. i am 40 something too ")
I am 53 and have severe anxiety about being alone. I am so uncomfortable and am already on medication for this. It s not working( Mirtazlapam, Venelefaxine ) I try to keep busy but really am going through the motions. I do not feel grounded when I am anxious, its like a sense of non reality.My mom died a few years ago, children are now gone, and I have been divorced for years. I am struggling and dont want this life, but I dont want to hurt my children.  
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
2 mins ago
penn1023 commented on I'm Back!
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...