Anxiety Community
Anxiety and Personality, how do I re-build a positively perceived perso...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety and Personality, how do I re-build a positively perceived personality.

I've suffered from Social Anxiety disorder for many years.  Over the last year it seems to have taken a turn for the better, as Lexapro (over time) and Dr. Thomas A. Richards' tapes have helped reverse the negative progression into a more positive one.  

As I move along in my career, I notice that my personality holds me back from meeting people.  I think my mood is perceived as others by being negative and rude, even though I'm typically in a good mood and an overall nice person.  It's almost like a natural reaction of mine to think negatively about the people around me, possibly exerting negative body language.  This negative reaction was a defense mechanism of mine.  Now here I am trying to break it but don't know how!

Are there any tapes out there that help build one's personality?  I know that sounds weird and crazy, but I feel my personality may be holding me back--and I know it's not just my anxiety causing these thoughts.  

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
"It's almost like a natural reaction of mine to think negatively about the people around me, possibly exerting negative body language.  This negative reaction was a defense mechanism of mine.  Now here I am trying to break it but don't know how! "

I believe you being consciously aware of this is the most important.
You might find it helpful to speak to a coach, counsellor or psychologist who can further help you become aware of automatic thoughts and certain patterns of behavior. It's not that easy to identify everything ourselves.

You state that it's a defence mechanism you have and I tend to agree with you in that it probably has become a personality trait. Or in other words it's actually ingrained and automatic defence responses that have become permanent(traits).
I definetely believe it's possible to identify the underlying feelings that produce certain  thoughts and behaviour.
I don't have any spesific suggestions regarding tapes I'm afraid, but someone else might know of some good ones, there are a lot of tapes on how to "build" personality, also a lot of seminars, courses and the likes if one is into that.
Another suggestion is group therapy and exposure training. I believe group therapy can be one of the most effective tools in the conquering of social anxiety, but it's not for everyone.

I'm glad to hear that things have taken a turn for the better for you. You're still very young and you can definetely reverse things and learn something new(not that it's too late for anyone) You seem very determined and I wish you the best of luck with everything.

Nora

Sorry for the double -posting.
There is one book which looks OK even to me (I'm not really that fond of self-help books). It's called "Reinventing Your Life"  written by Jeffrey E. Young and Janet S. Klosko, but I haven't got first hand experience with it. It might be worth the paper it's written on.
What would I say on my death bed, w...
1 hr ago by travel_melb
blabla96 commented on Genital Herpes Resear...
1 hr ago
travel_melb Ok day 22 let try to make t... Comment