Anxiety Community
Anxiety and breathing

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Anxiety and breathing

Hi everyone, I just wondered if many of you have troubles breathing like i just want to grab an oxygen mask in order to get some air to my lungs!  I do get anxiety attacks sometimes but i get this tightness in my chest when im not anxious (ie lying down in bed) and then it is like im forcing myself to breath but never getting enough air and then my chest hurts.  Is this a sign of anxiety?  I have had a heart scan etc for palpitations and pvcs but that came back clear but should I follow up on this?  Sometimes I get really out of breath just walking up some stairs.  If you think its anxiety any solutions in controlling the breathing?

Thanks for your help
I would go get a physical to rule anything out and then maybe some anxiety  meds.  Anxiety is probably the culprit but by ruling everything out maybe you can get some piece of mind.  I struggle with anxiety daily and it can do some crazy things to you.
Has asthma been rules out?
Avatar n tn
Not sure of your medical history, but read my comment to "kellyyouse".  I have the whole breathing and chest pain issue too.  Take care:)
Avatar n tn
Just wanted to say thank you for your repsonses.  I don't think I have asthma because i don't get wheezy just more the unpleasant feeling of suffocation but it is probably to do with the anxiety.  I have been reading up on cognotive therapy and it has helped.  I travel on trains daily and this is where I can get quite anxious so will practice my breathing skills!!  I guess its just one of those things we have to try and overcome. So hard sometimes though!!

Take care
K
Avatar n tn
Oh I know what you mean. I do somthing called a heart lock in... its on heartmath.com I believe. It tends to help with the chest pressure. It had gone away for a while but scince I started tapering off prozac it is back.
30th June
29 mins ago by char1234vass
30th June
29 mins ago by char1234vass
30th June
30 mins ago by char1234vass
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms