Anxiety Community
Anxiety and depression...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety and depression...

For the last 6 months of so I have experienced a mixture of anxiety and depression on the daily basis. I feel unmotivated to get anything done and just sad in general. When the anxiety gets so bad makes my chest feel really tight and really hard to breath. I had this problems off and on for about 4 years prior but they where never this bad.

The doctor has tried me on Xanax but it leaves me in a really depressed mood after it wears off. I'm thinking of asking for Klonopin but I'm afraid it will have the same side effect as Xanax.

It's sad to say that Alcohol seems to be the only thing that "uplifts" my mood but I feel extremely guilty self medicating with alcohol. Caffeine sometimes help make me feel better as well.

Seems like my only option now is to get in some antidepressant but I'm afraid (fear is probably the root of my anxiety) that it might cause more harm than good. What do you suggest might help?
Hello markv.

Although you feel that alcohol seems to be the only thing that uplifts your mood, if it were me, I would not go there.  Alcohol uplifts your mood only temporarily as an aid to get you addicted.  Once your addicted, you no longer will have to same effect.  

If you are already experiencing anxiety then you certainly do not want to also couple that with alcoholism at a later date in your life.  It will be so much harder to cope.  Your help is not alchohol.  The only thing you will find there, is the temptation to continue to the point that you feel like you must have it only to realize that it is causing you a far worse problem and with the anxiety at that!

Alcohol is not a cure or medication for anxiety.  However, It is a sure fire way, to catabolt anxiety issues to the extreme and I don't think that is what you are looking to do.  Alcohol can and most often leads to bondage that invites you to a deeper type of  Hell, anxiety and pain that most people with anxiety are not willing or ready to venture into!

My thoughts are:  First, master this "current anxiety issue" you are suffering right now, with your doctors help, in the abcense of having horrendous alcohol related issues to deal with.  I certainly would not add alcohol as a measure to reduce anxiety; unless, you can tolerate and more than handle all the consequences that go hand in hand with alcoholism plus anxiety.  Just a thought.......

Most people I've heard said that they only "thought" they had anxiety problems until they mixed it with alcohol!  They would now give anything to go back to facing the anxiety prolem they had beforehand.  They said that they wished they never had invited alcohol into the equation.

Talk to your doctor.  A good doctor will listen to your fears, and respect what you are telling him/her and will know what medication would be best for you regarding your fears, concerns, etc.

Blessings and peace to you.
Irisbritney Everyone says "just ignore ... Comment
28 mins ago
maddog225 joined this community
Welcome them!
42 mins ago
allinblack commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
54 mins ago