Anxiety Community
Anxiety and high blood pressure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety and high blood pressure?

I went to my doctor today were he said that i have anxiety/depression. I have been crying today, and upset. Everytime i get upset or cry, my head pounds later and my face is hot. My blood pressure was 156/80 today in the office but he just gave me Zoloft and Xanax...Tonight i feel off balance, and have a headache ( above my eyes)....Could this be my high blood pressure, or just the anxiety??
Hi there; These symptoms you are feeling are possibly from the anxiety and depression. It can feel very upsetting to hear your doctor tell you that you are suffering from them and it's hard to deal with.
I also suffer with anxiety , depression and high blood pressure. I also went to the doctor last week complaining of chest pain, palpitations, headache and dizziness. I swore it was my heart but the doctor said my heart was fine. She took my blood pressure and that was fine too but I had been getting high readings at home and thought my medication was not working. I have therapy every week and  was feeling out of balance and headachy.The therapist placed a probe on my hand to measure anxiety levels and she said it was off the scale. I did some deep breathing exercises and relaxation and it came down, so I think that proves that anxiety can cause all the above symptoms. These symptoms are real and can make you feel very ill.
I have been told it's down to the 'fight or flight 'reflex thst we have within us when we are anxious. It causes adrenalin to be released into our system which can reach high levels and if we don't work it off then we get all the above symtoms (symptoms). It takes a few days for the adrenalin to work its way out of your system.

I think your anxiety is causing your blood pressure to rise and if you can control your breathing by just slowing it down your anxiety will lessen. You are not alone and it will not harm you. We all appreciate what you are going through.
Take care, I know how bad it can make you feel.
i have the same problem,  my head is pounding and sometimes i can not even move it down without thinking my brains spills. i have headaches for 3 days now and honestly i'm in the same situation you are in...is it my high blood pressure or my anxiety...i don't know. I have tried what i'm about to tell you but i can not really figure it out. maybe you have clearer results.
I say you try to relax put a cold cloth on your forehead and take a xanax...if you head starts to feel better then it might be the anxiety. if you still have a headache but you feel more balanced take a  Excedrin tension headache pill and see if you can get read of the headaches ... I'm sorry i can not be much help for you with this, but in this case i'm in the same boat and  have not quite figured it out myself.

one more thing....i'm surprised your doc. did not try to put you on some blood pressure meds...they try to put me on pills all the time...up until now i always refused and blamed my blood pressure on my anxiety but lately its just scary high...i had a reading of 152/105
and that had me spinning like i was on carousel.

get a blood pressure measure for at home so you can always check!!!

I wish you luck!!!
Anxiety can seemingly cause many problems.I too have high anxiety,but my blood pressure is low. Give your meds time to 'click in; & maybe you will feel better..Anxietiy's a real horror, but you are by no means alone on this site. Always lots of nice,helpful people will support you in any way they can. Don't despair. Try to  be hopeful & you'll make it. Not easy.Best wishes,Georgfe
Why today am i scared that there is something seriously still wrong with me? I feel unbalanced kinda, im not real shaky today...I am scared that maybe i have something seriously wrong with me? Maybe they just think its anxiety but its really not. I feel odd alot, not myself. Even when i am at home. Like today, i feel quiet, and unbalanced...and a little clumsy...i dont know whats going on...is this normal?
Yes, that sounds very familiar, I also feel unbalanced at times and I often want to just be quiet. I just go with it. It does pass. Can you do an activity that you enjoy? read a good book, watch a film, go for a walk- that always helps me. If you feel like your not really with it then try and have a rest or even sleep. Slowing down your breathing will relieve the anxiety. Concentrate on each breath,  feel the difference of the air flowing in and out of your nostrils. It takes practice, but it really helps because you cannot be anxious and relaxed at the same time. Please try because anxiety makes you feel like there is something seriously wrong because of all the horrible symptoms and I have the same symptoms as you so I know how you feel.
Yes i was comfortable yesterday as i came out of the doctors office. It was like i got relief knowing whats wrong at the same time today I am starting to go back and think. What if there is something wrong and they are blaming it on panic/Anxiety. He felt my neck and my mother said that was for thyroid, if you have hyperthyroidism ( she has graves disease) then they can feel a lump there. She doesnt think i have that either because my symptoms dont match hers, plus he didnt find anything. Then i am thinking what about in my brain. I yawn alot at home, i shake every so often, my heart beats rapid ( 104 at the doctors office). Right now i feel a little calm but i am unbalanced alot on my feet. I feel kinda clumsy yet i dont fall or walk into anything. I just feel uneasy. I have to go out alot because i have kids. I have a busy life, so i cant just stay home and rest. I have to go out whether i want to or not. This is what brings out so many panic attacks a day.I come home and feel a little better to just turn around and go out and have another attack. Its a cycle.
It's good that you felt some relief after you had been to see the doctor. It's so hard to take in what they are telling you, that it's anxiety but I have been there. I was even admitted into hospital wth suspected angina, had loads of tests even an angiogram and my heart was fine. So that shows how powerful these feeling are.
Are you on any medication for your high blood pressure? What about your kidney function - have you had any kidney function tests done? I ask because I have kidney failure stage 2 and before I was diagnosed doctors would always ask if I was anxious - and I think I was. When I was poorly with my kidney I told them that I was feeling tight in my chest and throat and between my shoulder blades. What i'm saying is that kidney failure causes anxiety. It's a thought - also it causes high blood pressue.
There are no magic cures but try and get a little more 'you time'. It's seems you can't carry on as you are a you are at the moment.
I think we need to slow this train down a little bit and get back to what your doctor said.
He diagnosed you with anxiety and depression, and he put you on medications for that. Your job now is to accept his diagnosis and give the meds time to help you.
The Zoloft may take as long as 4 weeks to "kick in" and reach therapeutic levels, in other words, it may take that long before you begin to notice a change in how you feel. You may have to go through some side effects while your body is adjusting, but if you have questions or concerns, simply call your doctor to make sure they are normal. The Xanax is very fast acting and should give you relief almost immediately. It does not have to accumulate in your body. You may feel tired at first from the Xanax, but that will soon stop. Are you on Xanax daily or just "as needed?"
While your blood pressure was a bit on the high side, it was far from dangerously high. Your doctor did not put you on blood pressure meds because he correctly assumed it was high because you were very upset, which will increase BP, you were probably very anxious and exhibiting signs of anxiety, which will also increase your BP and the simple fact you were consulting a doctor will cause just about everyones BP to read higher than normal. It's called "white coat syndrome" and refers to a fear of doctors or what the doctors might tell us. It's incredibly common and raises our BP's. If your doctor thought for one minute that your BP was too high, he would talked to you about monitoring it. Since he didn't, you need to stop worrying about that and concentrate on your depression and anxiety.
You said you have young kids & you have to go out a lot even when you don't want to, you are incredibly busy..............after having raised two boys, I KNOW just how busy it can get. It can get downright insane! And that leads to a LOT of stress which can easily  turn into anxiety. Feeling overwhelmed and stressed out, especially if you aren't making time for yourself, can turn into depression.
Often when we cry, especially if it's what I term a "deep" cry, it is very normal to have a headache afterwards. I wish I could give you the medical reasons why this happens, but I'm not a doctor, just another mom who had small kids, anxiety, depression and no life to call my own. I cried a lot. I had a lot of headaches. I think it's just from being all stuffed up and the tension and all the bad feelings...............crying often helps to get rid of some of those feelings, but sometimes we're left with the headache. I don't for one minute believe it's your "high blood pressure" causing the headaches because I don't believe you HAVE high blood pressure. You DID at the doctors office. I don't think you do now. And while home blood pressure kits can be helpful to many, right now I think it would be best if you took a pass on getting one. You are already freaked about your BP, how do you think you're going to be when you begin to take it obsessively at home? I'm sure your doctor has told you to come back in a few weeks to check how the Zoloft is working and how your feeling. Your BP will be checked again. I'm going to place a bet that while it may be a bit high because you're going to be worried about it, it will be much lower than last time. And this would be an excellent time to talk to your doctor about your fears of having high blood presure. Kill three birds while you have his attention! (All 15 minutes of it..........LOL)
Your feeling of being off balance is..........or was, from the crying and and if you began taking the meds that same day you saw the doctor. Especially if you took a Xanax. Those are very potent benzos and if you're not use to taking them, feeling off balance is really common and normal. That feeling will pass as you get use to them as well.

So to your question, which has taken me forever to get to, which was:

" Tonight i feel off balance, and have a headache ( above my eyes)....Could this be my high blood pressure, or just the anxiety??"

It's just your anxiety! Period.

(Ask yourself WHY they call high blood pressure "the silent killer?")
Because there are no symptoms..............no headaches, no anxiety!

You didn't mention if you also work outside the home, but if you do, then feel free to add some more stress/anxiety to the equation. But that by NO means implies that stay at home moms are not every bit as stressed.

I would urge you to get into some therapy to help you through this challenging phase of your life. For all I know, that hour with a therapist once a week might be the ONLY time you have to call your own! I hope you'll at least think about it. I promise it will help.

There are other good forums on this site about not only Depression but motherhood and coping with kids and life and bills and carpooling and cats that insist on puking up hairballs on the funiture. Or just come here and talk to the rest of us who totally understand where you're at.
You're going to be OK. I know you'd do anything it took to help your kids, well, it's time to do whatever it takes to help yourself!
An anxious, depressed mom isn't much fun.
Sometimes we just have to put ourselves first.
Please stay in touch and I wish you the very best.
Peace
Greenlydia  

Thank you for your post. It really gave me some positive feedback. I have posted before in other forums, i am afraid to take my Zoloft because of all the negative things i hear about it. the doctor gave me 25mg for now...It just makes me so nervous to think of taking it, i am on NO medications right now.
imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
curiosityb ok Comment
IndigoIris commented on Tramadol & Ultram...