Anxiety Community
Anxiety attacks--how long do they last?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety attacks--how long do they last?

I've done some searching on the Web about anxiety attacks and how long they last.  Most of the places I've looked at said they usally last 10-20 minutes.  This has been a little distressting.  When I'm having an attack, it can last up to an hour.  My anxiety starts off mild, then gets progressively worse, then goes back down.  Maybe my actual attack is only 10-20 minutes and the rest is just residual anxiety, but I'm not really sure.  

SO...I wanted some feedback on how long everyone's anxiety attacks generally last.  Any input would be appreciated!
VicZag25,
It’s a case by case basis, the defined time limit for a anxiety attack is between 10 and 30 minutes. Anxiety is a different strokes for different folks, mine have lasted anywhere from 10 minutes to almost 2 hours. As you go thru the process and learn breathing to calm down, medication if need be and of course therapy, these will all help the attacks become less frequent and less severe. Hope this helps.
Hi, the anxiety attack depending on the cause can last for up to two hours, as suggested it depends on the person.

The severity of the symptoms during the attack can fluctuate subject to your state of mind or perceived interpretation of your attack i.e. if you feel your attack is life threatening etc.

To reduce our severity and frequency of your attacks utilize the tools and techniques you are taught in therapy; the best type of therapy for this condition is cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).

As you know it takes a lot of hard work and discipline to master the techniques; however, if you do you will benefit tremendously and will hopefully not require further medication. Unless you have a chemical in-balance in the brain, then its all about teaching your mind to interprete things differently.

I hope you found this helpful!

All the best!

Well I have had some serious panic attacks that definately lasted in excess of two hours. Many occasions at least 4-5 hours, and this has been confirmed as normal from several psychs I've seen. There is some with panic disorder who have it the better part of their day. Usually this only happens to me when I have had an overly stressful day, and it builds and builds and throws me into it by about 4-5 in the afternoon and has lasted into the night.
Thin4Freedom says... Haha! Convinced my ... Comment
The Ultimate Food Storage Cheat She...
3 hrs ago by gymdandee
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...