Anxiety Community
Anxiety caused by Gastritis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety caused by Gastritis

Hey,

I've been diagnosed with Chronic Gastritis and the presence of H.pylori and my stomach is almost 24/7 hurting. This is probably the reason I'm so anxious because I'm always thinking this won't go away...

Anyway, I've never been an anxious person and never had a panic attack before, and lately I have some anxiety symptoms wich make me wondering if I have another disease... I'm just wondering if it's possible that this anxiety is just here because my stomach hurts all the time and if it'll go away after i've cured this stomach problem...

I'm constantly thinking about my stomach and my stupid thoughts that I may not ever cure this stupid stomach problem or that this anxiety will not go away... I also sometimes feel dizzy and seems like I can only phocus one point at the time, I mean, I can't pay attention to what's arround my phocused point...

m.rodrigues
I can relate to your post! I too have spun into an anxiety state of being since i was diagnosed back in may with "chronic migraine" I recently realized that i let the constant worry and lack of "acceptance" of  the diagnosis spiral me out of control along with alot of major changes in my life! I started lexapro about a month ago up to 15 mg and take a small dose of klonopin in the a.m. and p.m. Learnig ourselves with a "chronic" anything is sooooo difficult I believe it takes alot of faith and patience which is the most difficult part especially when in an anxious state of being!
just wanted to share and i am with u my friend!
anthony
I think any illness that disrupts your life can cause anxiety. I had dangerously low sodium levels in my blood etc. and ended up in the ER, all that without a job or medical insurance. I'm being treated for occipital neuralgia which is no fun - waking up with a headache for a month...and IBS-C to top it off. Stressful job, demanding spouse, long commute...it all ads up.  I've been dealing with almost daily panic attacks and anxiety since my ER visit.

As someone who had stomach ulcer, the only thing I can suggest is to eat light and get daily exercise to take your mind off your bodily issues ;)
i know the feeling of daily headaches really *****! im with u! did u ever try occipital nerve block injections?
This is a chicken and egg story -- both headaches, particularly migraines, and stomach problems can be caused or exacerbated by anxiety.  I don't think any illness causes anxiety -- you would have to be prone to anxiety for that to happen -- unless the illness directly affected parts of the body that cause anxiety, such as blood sugar problems or thyroid problems.  But in our society, being prone to anxiety seems to be epidemic.  There are a lot of natural ways to deal with these ailments, and the anxiety that you describe.  Meditation is a good one for both migraines and stomach problems.  There are also things that can be tried, such as dietary changes and natural remedies that might help.  And remember, there's a difference between being genuinely concerned and frightened over a medical condition and anxiety.  Good luck.  
I should have added, I pretty much got rid of both my ulcer problems and my migraines years ago by meditating, but I still later got agoraphobia, so while I slowed down and healed some of my bodily excesses, it didn't, at least for me, get rid of whatever causes chronic anxiety.  But at least I don't also get migraines or have an ulcer problem anymore.
I'm not sure wich one I stand in, Its seems that when the stomach pain is gone my anxiety gets a lot better or not even there, but if for example, I notice my stomach is starting to hurt a bit, I really do get anxious and start having the spiral thoughts running arround in my head... I have experienced one panic attack before, and the symptoms of anxiety actually come and go...
oh, and I'm not sure if the stomach pain starts when I get anxious or if I get anxious when the pain starts.. I've felt pain with no anxiousness... weird

the spiral thoughts get worse when I'm not distracted..
I have always been a nervous person but never as anxious as I've been since getting h pylori and then gastritis last year.  I have anxiety and panic attacks.  To me, I would say the gastritis CAUSED the anxiety and not the other way around.  Does anyone agree with me?  I'm taking 2.5mg of Lexapro to start and increasing after two weeks to 5 mg.  Thanks!
Swollentoe commented on photo
1 hr ago
Swollentoe commented on photo
1 hr ago
gyspy09 hope everyone is great!! Comment