Anxiety Community
Anxiety caused by taking Minocycline resulting in chemical imbalance an...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety caused by taking Minocycline resulting in chemical imbalance and insomnia

I was prescribed Minocycline for acne by my dermatologist.  I started to experience small little thoughts that caused a slight bit of anxiety after taking it for two weeks.  From there it just climaxed to the point where every night was spent in a state of extreme anxiety where I was lucky to get any sleep at all.  It got to the point where it didn't just happen at night, but it was 4-5 times a day.  It was noticeable enough that everyone around me in school took notice of my depression.  I was ready to check myself into the mental hospital because it was so bad.  I've always been a relatively happy person.  I have never really had problems with anxiety attacks before, but on 3 different rare occasions in my life, I have experienced panic attacks.  When I finally figured out the Minocylcine was causing it, I had been taking it for 2 months.  I have since then been off of it for almost 3 months now.  The anxiety attacks quieted for the 2 weeks I stopped taking it, but since then, they've been making a comeback.  It's been almost 3 months now, and  the anxiety attacks are once again getting worse.  I know that it must be due to a chemical imbalance, but I know that if I take a medication for it, it would have a greater chance at making it worse than better due to the fact that I am extremely hypersensitive to everything and always have been.  I know there's no reason to freak out, but since it is chemical, there's not much I can do rather than suppress it (which only makes it worse).  I've tried b, e, and c vitamin supplements, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.  I can't sleep in my bed because my subconsciousness has basically trained itself  to go "bad things happen in this place" and the anxiety creeps up on me and I can feel it.  If I don't keep myself busy by writing or doing something creative till I'm exhausted, it consumes me for the next 2-3 hours.  And now that it's winter, the seasonal depression doesn't help.  I don't know how to handle them anymore.  Any helpful suggestions?
Don't know if this will solve it, but antibiotics kill off your beneficial flora that lives in your intestinal tract, allowing other infections to occur.  Some of these flora also manufacture B vitamins, essential for mood balance.  You might try taking a good probiotic from the refrigerated section of your local health food store to replenish what the antibiotic has killed off.
Sounds a lot like you're experiencing residual anxiety, simply reactionary...after enduring such terrible symptoms.  That's a pretty common thing.  A person will experience anxiety or panic that is directly caused by an identifiable source (medication, illicit drug, etc)....but unfortunately, the anxiety hangs around, even long after the source has been identified and removed from the situation.

That's because we kind of become conditioned...it's "fearing the fear" basically.  I think it would be reasonable to perhaps try some therapy, to learn how to stop that anxiety reaction.  I honestly wouldn't think a medication approach would be indicated at this point..I would personally recommend trying a therapy approach first and go from there.  The decision to use meds as part of a treatment plan for anxiety is a very individual one...you will get a lot of varying input on that.  If you're already very sensitive to meds...that's another reason to try other approaches first.

Because this is fairly new, and you've recognized that it was caused by the medication, and you have no history of chronic anxiety...I would start with some therapy...and see how that goes.

Let us know how you're doing...good luck!
Thin4Freedom says... Haha! Convinced my ... Comment
1 hr ago
The Ultimate Food Storage Cheat She...
2 hrs ago by gymdandee
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...