Anxiety Community
Anxiety in Stores

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety in Stores

Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone out there has anxiety in stores. I get really bad anxiety and even the thougt of having to go to the store gives me butterflies.
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. Good advise about the thyroid. I am going to have mine checked out. I started getting worse after my 1st child and did think that it could be my thyroid. I find it strange though that 396SS said that he or she had had the same type of anxiety in Walmart. Actually, I started looking into anxiety on the internet in the last little while and was actually shocked and quite alarmed at the vast amount of people that speak about Walmart in particular when they are talking about their anxiety in stores. They also of course do say that they have issues as well in other large stores but pay attention to the usual first comments of these individuals all over the net that mention Walmart when you ask them about their anxiety. Here is a little of my story: I also have anxiety in stores and I have a question for you. Have you always shopped at Walmart stores or did you just start to shop in them around the time that you developed anxiety in stores? The reason why I am asking is that I also developed anxiety while shopping. It started when I moved to a small town and there was a Walmart there and I had never shopped at one before so since there was really nothing else it became my store of choice for pretty well everything that I needed. I then developed really bad anxiety in large crowded stores and was having extremely bad anxiety when going through the checkout. I still have this problem and usually do not shop for myself although if I do shop myself I go to the Real Canadian Superstore and they have the self scanners so I do not have to go through the checkout. Anyways, my point is, is that, the more I started checking into anxiety while shopping the more I started to realize that the great majority of people mention that Walmart is there store that they usually go to and I know that this sounds far fetched but it could be possible that thier colours or lights etc in their stores could be triggering something in peoples brains that that are suseptible to anxiety and triggers the anxiety. I also started looking into quite a few different lawsuits towards Walmart and in some of these lawsuits - the people mention having anxiety or depression. Who knows though if it developed from working in that environment or not. Who knows. It is quite interesting though and like I said I find it quite alarming that everyone that I have talked to starts the conversation off by saying something about Walmart when there are other extremely large stores in the area as well. In Canada I have right here in my own neighborhood, Superstore, IKEA, Costco etc. These are all very large stores and although all of the people that have shopping anxiety say that they also get it in these stores as well, they mention Walmart first and I am wondering if it was some sort of a trigger. Tell me what you think. Thanks everyone.
Good advice thyroid man, that is a possibility.  I wish it was my thyroid though, I've had it thoroughly checked and it's completely normal.  I have had anxiety in stores, especially Wal-Mart when it gets crowded, but I don't anymore.  It's called agoraphobia.  I had it at the height of my panic/anxiety attacks a few years back, but so far I've beat it.  I took Zoloft with success, but not all meds are for everyone.  Definitely talk to your doc and see if you can do some therapy with a counselor that is good at working with people with phobias/anxiety.  Some therapists actually go to the store with you and use desensitization therapy.  Anyway, my point is, there is help and I would try the non-medication ones first and then don't be ashamed to try a med if it comes down to it:)  You can do it!
I used to. It was really bad. Almost like it took and act of courage to go to the store. Turns out i had a low thyroid that can cause bad anxiety and other mental problems. Have u ever had your thyroid checked?
Unfortunately no, I don't think Wal-Mart is at fault here.  It just so happens that every town has one or more Wal Marts and it is the place to go, so it also happens to be the most crowded of all the stores I know.  Statistically, if you are going to be a person that gets agoraphobia, you are more likely to be in a Wal-Mart because there are so many of the darn things!  I had anxiety years after I started shopping in Wal-Mart.  What happens is you just have a panic attack or anxiety attack/feeling wherever you may be - which might be in a crowded place, which might be a wal-mart on payday, and then forever after you associate Wal-Mart and/or crowds/check out lines with that feeling of anxiety.  Thus, you go in there the second time and have a self-fulfilling prophecy.  You think to yourself, "well, the last time I was in here I felt anxious" and then boom, there it is, you are anxious.  Quickly, you associate Wal-mart with anxiety.  It is called conditioning.  Look up Pavlov's dogs.  Getting groceries and everything you need for your household is stressful, people may be rude, you may be spending alot of money, etc. etc.  That's life in any crowded store.  We get anxious because we feel like it is 1) causing the anxiety for some mysterious reason and 2) we cannot control the situation - we have to follow the rules like stand in line and pay like this and etc.  You need to look up agoraphobia and don't waste your time looking up other stuff.  We as humans try to put meaning to things and unfortunately (although I wish it was just Wal-Mart:) we can't blame the superstore for our anxiety.  We can blame it for losing our main street shops and "mom and pop" shops in America, but not much else:)  PS.......NOBODY I know likes to go to Wal-Mart anyway so smile, you are not in this boat alone.  And consider going late at night or early am to start - like 4 am or something when nobody is there.  Ease yourself into it.  If you get to the door and panic, just turn around and pat yourself on the back for getting that far.  Set a goal just to go in for the next time and get to say....the pharmacy or makeup aisle.  If you panic, again just turn around and say job accomplished.  Finally, with some setbacks to be expected, you will make it through the whole store without anxiousness.  It's called desensitization - now I am just giving you a rough draft of what I did - so look up desensitization therapy and agoraphobia for more precise, professional advice.  Anway,  try that and I say at 4am b/c nobody is there (hardly).  Eventually maybe you could go in the daytime when it is not crowded (don't go on payday or the first of the month - welfare checks come out then).  Hope any of this helps:)  Take care
Hi Thyroid man, do you get your thyroid under control and do you still have anxieties in store?
yes it's under control and don't have bad anxiety anymore. I had anxiety and was nervous Plus depression and it all slowly went away after thyroid treatment.
nursegirl6572 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy commented on Just complaining abou...
mishymoshymarcy commented on Just wasting my time,...