Anxiety in your sleep?????
It is possible to have anxiety or a small panic attack type while you fall asleep? Often once I fall asleep I wake up because my insides feel like they are shaking maybe my heart is beating fast and thats the feeling I dont know, but it wakes me up I try to fall back asleep and it happens again. Does anyone know what this could be?
Hi dawn,

Several years back I asked my shrink about same symptoms you describe.

What a surprise!  He said I was having panic attacks during sleep.  I had suffered panic attacks in daytime, and it never occured to me they could happen when asleep.

Guess this is because the problem originates in the subconscious, which never sleeps.

Hope knowing this will calm you a bit.

A bedtime ritual that quiets your mind and body might be helpful.  Taking anti-anxiety med @ bedtime helps but doesn't rule out an attack.

Thanks airannie, good to know :)
Anytime!
We are here to support you.
Ann
I was in Hospital with a fast heartbeat a few months ago which i was put up to a Holter Monitor and they told me the next morning that my heart rate shot up when i was asleep, i didnt know it happened or didnt wake or anything so they just left me to it, So yeah its possible.
you know, i feel stupid for saying it, because I have all the same things happen to me when i sleep and I have panic/anxiety also ... I just never connected the two. it never dawned on me that you could have a panic attack or anxiety while sleeping. I've been searching and searching for a problem with my heart because that is where i get most of my symptoms cropping up. i know you posted that asking for help, but honestly, you helped me.