Anxiety Community
Anxiety or Hyperactive Thyroid

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Anxiety or Hyperactive Thyroid

I have been on anti-depressants/anti-anxiety (Welbutrin, Celexa, Lexapro and most recently Cymbalta) for several years now with great results. Within the past 2 months, I started having what felt like panic attacks which included difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, tightening of the throat and hot flashes. My doctor decided to give me Ativan to curb the anxiety. Mind you, my attacks were not 15-30 minutes, they lasted from morning til night. After several weeks of no relief, he switched me to Klonopin and changed my daily meds to Cymbalta. My depression is fine at this point but the anxiety medicine has no affect on me. I can't breath normally from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep. I have cut out all caffeine and have been excercising and eating right for several years. I am wondering if this is actually a problem with my thyroid. I am in transition between doctors and just wanted some advice. Any thoughts?
If you are concerned that it is your thyroid, just mention it to your new doctor. They can get you a simple blood test for that and they will also feel your thyroid too, to see if it is large. Hyperthyroidism can mimic anxiety symptoms. I went to threw the same thing. I had a large thyroid and they tested my blood and did a thyroid ultrasound, and everything came back good.
keep in mind that hyPothyroid can also cause anxiety.. I have hypothyroid.. and before i was diagnosed.. what a nightmare.. i had constant panic all the time. i felt like fight or flight was a daily routine.. and forget about sleeping normally...make sure that if you do have your thyroid tested.. they give you not just one test.. but also things like.. your TSH.. another good idea.. would be to post a question on the thyroid forum.. they have excellent advice.. and they know exactly what tests you shouls have..
there is also a place online that you can go to .. where you can read more about thyroid issues.. its called
www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

take care
RubyWitch I am no longer accepting HI... Comment
melimeli commented on renae176's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms