ANXIETY
COMMUNITY
Anxiety problems after panic attack from weed?
by cainm, Aug 20, 2011
I KNOW THIS IS LONG BUT PLEASE READ
I would really like to hear from people who are going through the same thing and have GOOD advice

I'm 19 and have been smoking weed every day for a few years straight with out having any problems and loving it. I went on vacation for about ten days and didn't smoke the whole time i was on vacation. So I get home sunday night and on monday august 15, i was with a friend and was excited to start smoking again. I took one really big, massive hit and got pretty stoned and was feeling fine for a while until i started feeling really woozy. My heart rate started going crazy, my hands and feet were tingling, my chest had a lot of pressure, my left arm went numb, i felt very nauseated and anxious and it felt like i would maybe pass out. Very scary feeling! I tried to calm myself down and about after an hour of the same feeling, i asked my mom to take me to the emergency room. only when i got to the hospital did i start to calm down. they ran just about every test on me and everything came back fine except a really low pottasium level.

Well i thought that if i just start eating better and get more pottasium that i'd be fine. NOW THIS IS WHAT IS WORRYING ME.

I got out of the hospital monday night and the next day, tuesday august 16, i woke up feeling pretty okay, just a little weak, but started off my day like normal.
and then out of no where i started feeling really anxious and nauseated along with strange vision, like everything is kinda dreamy or sharp looking. It wouldnt go away so i decided to take a nap after a while. when i woke up a few hours later i still felt the same anxious, nauseated feeling. I even tried to hang out with my friend to see if I would stop feeling anxious but that didnt help. It finally went away a few hours before i went to bed and it was such a relief. BUT the next day, wednesday august 17, it pretty much happened the same way. i felt really crappy, anxious, and nausteated for apparently no reason. I kept asking myself why i'm feeling anxious cause i have nothing to worry about but it didnt really help. I went to the family doctor that day(and by this time the anxiety feeling was gone) and they did a few more tests, and i tried to explain the axiety feeling i was having but they said not to worry and call back in a few days if I still feel the same way. well i had to go to work right after the doctors visit and i felt fine for about thirty minutes and then it hit me again. but this time it didnt last as long as the other times, maybe an hour and a half of it and then it went away. I felt pretty okay for the rest of the night, ate a good dinner, had a happy-tired feeling and was glad to go to bed.

BUT i woke up suddenly out of nowhere feeling very crappy, anxious, nauseated, shaky, heart racing with a weird and scary dreamy feeling along with weird vision again. I felt hot one minute and cold the next and tried to just go back to sleep but couldnt. I have been up since that time and have been feeling the same way, with a really spacey and woozy feeling. It feels like its not going away this time. I've tried to go back to bed since i hardly got any sleep but everytime i lay down, i start to feel dizzy and worse.

It is now saturday, august 20th, and i'm pretty much still feeling the same way. yesterday on friday august 19 I felt really bad most of the morning and afternoon with all the same symptoms and then it went away for a while.
That night on friday my doctor prescribed me .5mg of xanax to see if it helps with my anxiety. so that same night i went to the gym and felt really good after wards (in fact the best i've felt in the past few days) then picked up my prescription and took only half a pill of the xanax around 9pm and just felt kinda weird and normal but after a while i began to feel anxious again so i took the other half of the pill around 11pm and began to feel really drowsy and tired. I went to bed and felt kinda weird and hot but was able to drift off to sleep. But I woke up around 2am feeling really strange and shaky along with blurred vision (not the same as the dream like/sharp vision that I explained earlier) So i just tried to go back to sleep and was finally able to around 3:30am.

This morning on saturday august 20, i woke up around 10am feeling HORRIBLE. Really tired and shaky, heavy body feeling, anxious of course and just pretty much out of it. this feeling felt a bit worse then all the other times anxiety hit me in the previous days. so I just tried to sleep some more and was drifting in and out of sleep until like 12:30pm but still felt really bad and still pretty tired and STILL anxious. So around 2pm I took another xanax pill and it made me better but still felt slight anxiety. It is now 9:30pm and i have just gotten back from another visit from the gym and feel pretty good.
Im just hoping that i start feeling really bad again.

How long is one dose of .5mg supposed to last anyway?
the directions say take one every eight hours so i'm guesing it last about eight hours but i dont know because i've also heard that it can also last only 2 hours or something.

Also if this helps, i usualy feel really bad right when i wake up in the morning and it'll start to go away around early evening like 4-6 but then ill start to feel bad again around the time i go to bed like around 10

So in summary, ever since that one hit of weed, and after that first big attack, It seems like i've been having anxiety problems. It's an off and on pattern, I'll feel fine for a while, and then really ****** for a while. I havent smoked since that one hit on monday so that's why i'm scared that i'm having these affects even though its already been five days

From what i've read from other posts that are similar to what im going through say that the weed triggered some kind of disorder that'll take a few months to get back to normal? that makes me worry even more because only a few days of feeling like this is horrible so I dont know if I can handle several months.

I have another appointment with my doctor on tuesday august 23 and this time i'm going to explain every single detail to her about whats been going on because all the doctor really knows it that i'm just having anxiety problems. The doctor doesn't know about the weed.

by the way, ever since tuesday night august 16, i've been eating very healthy and drink ONLY water and lots of it. but most of the time I'm finding it hard to eat. Just loss of appetite.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience in EXACTLY what im going through? Also any experience with xanax because I like how its kinda helping me but I dont want to get addicted to this stuff because I heard trying to come off it is like the most HORRIBLE nightmare of your life.

I also start school on monday and i'm worried if i'll be able to get through it or not?

i'd just like to have more feed back from people who are going through the same thing
PLEASE HELP
Member Comments (23)
by soulfulmind23, Aug 20, 2011
I just wanted to give you my insight on your post, I used to love smoking a few years back when I was between the ages of 13-17 I'm 18 now I stopped for a little while and then one day I had a group of my friends together and we all passed around a blunt I was fine until I got pretty much the same symptoms you described, I felt very heavy headed, shaky, palms and feet cold/clammy, my heart was racing obnoxiously, and my anxiety was off the charts, also I had somewhat of a dreamy, tunnel visioned feeling. I didn't know what it was and it freaked me out I thought maybe I was in the wrong settings or I was hanging with a weird crowd, but I smoked again and this time is was so much more worse then before, I started crying I felt so scared and I honestly felt like I wasn't going to come back to being myself, I had a lot of restless nights with hot sweats and just anxious overall, especially in unusual surroundings, my doctor put me on zoloft and that helped me out somewhat, I won't ever go back to smoking again, my question to you is do you have any medical conditions such as epilepsy, maybe heart problems? The THC might be triggering your brain to do abnormal things and I think xanax is not the way to go in this situation, just try to do natural things to calm yourself down, get on a normal sleep schedule, be around good and soothing company, maybe even talk to someone if that helps, I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon! -Savannah
by cainm, Aug 20, 2011
thanks you for posting.
to answer your question, i have no health problems at all. the doctors have done pretty much every test and everything has come back good.

Also, do you think you can give me more information on your experiences?
when did this happen to you and have you been feeling the same symptoms for a number of days like i have?
Have you gotten any better, etc?
by turkee23, Aug 20, 2011
i dont really know if pot and anxiety are connected....i have been smoking HEAVY for 13 years now. and i never had a anxiety problem until 6 months ago. i woke up in a total panic( day of my sisters wedding) and then from there its been an EVERYDAY thing....DIZZY everyday all day, just a constant worry on my mind. for 6 months straight so i had all the medical test and everything was fine thank god!. now i have been in therapy for about 1 month and just started some meds that seem to be working pretty well.

have you thought about therapy?.......maybe meds?......
by Jade59, Aug 20, 2011
Turkee and Cainm...you guys should do a search in this community using the words *pot* or *weed and anxiety* and read others who post nearly exactly what both of you have said.  I've been reading this forum for 4yrs and you all could write each others posts since the same thing is said over and over.  

My thoughts are with you both.  
by cainm, Aug 20, 2011
well thats what i would think if i heard this from someone else but all this has been happening because that one hit i took on monday.
and yes, i just started xanax
by j17c27, Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, a lot of people get panicy when they smoke pot.  My suggestion is just to stop...Some people cant handle it and it is not worth putting yourself through the anxiety attacks.  
This happened to me one time.  If your not in a comfortable situation your more likely to get a panic attack.  
by jmf33ss, Aug 24, 2011
im 17 and have the same symptoms and iv been smoking heavily for about 3 years now and its never really affected me till about 3 months ago took a hit from a 5 foot bong and started freaking out didnt know wut it was just kind of delt with it till i finally went to the emergency room they ran test upon tests but everything was fine and i kept asking my self wut the hell is going on why am i feeling this way and then someone explained that it might be anxiety and ofcoarse being the stuborn teen i am i said wut the hell am i having anxiety problems about everythings fine until i started going back to my life and realizing it hasnt been so great and now every now and then i have panic attacks they suck and r not fun one bit but the best thing that helped me was saying to myself theres nothing medicly wrong with me so i just say its all in my head and usually that calms me down alot and eventually the feeling just goes away and im fine but it was so bad sometimes to the point where id lay down to sleep and five minutes later drifting off into sleep id wake up suddenly with a spacy feeeling heart racing shaking all over so i deff no wut ur feeling and ur deff not alone at all but as weird or stupid as this sounds id really try to think of some issues or problems in ur life that may be causing this because as much as we hate to beleve that its the cause sometimes it is mental beleve me i had this awfull realization allready and it sucked but now i no some tips to help it and to stop it . hope this helped allittle and just no ur deffinatly not alone
by mmarcus100, Feb 19, 2012
i am struggling with something similiar to you.im 18 year old male very skinny.been smoking on and off for 4 years. i have ocd and mabey another mental disorder before my bad experience  but have never been diagnosed.

in early January i ate 2 pot brownies and around an hour later it hit me instantly. i started freaking out constantly pacing back and forth. my heart was racing, i was shaking badly, i had that really bad dreamy vision you mentioned. it was by far the scariest/worst experience of my life and went on for 6 hours. although strangely enough i felt pretty normal the next day. however a few weeks later in early february i was in school and i started shaking and having the same feeling as when i was high. i couldnt concentrate and was uncontrollably anxous. since then i havent felt normal. i am always anxious and jittery. i have dreamy vision and cant think straight.  all i do now after i get home from school is lay down and try to sleep but i cant. when i lay there its almost like im deaming but im actually awake. i do breathing excercises and calm myself down but that doesnt really help. i also have no appetite like you said which is concerning cause before this happened i ate a huge diet. i can barely even focus enough to watch tv. sometimes i feel close to normal but that only lasts for a while and then i can feel the anxiety or whatever it is coming back on. its truly torture. i went to a psychologist recently and he didnt say much. i dont know how much longer i can take it.

if anyone has any information to give me dont hesitate to email me at ***@****.

advice i would give to u would be to stay busy and tell yourself your fine and its all in your head. do your best to ignore it and let it pass. replace negative thoughts with positive ones. i know its hard im struggling very much.
by mmarcus100, Feb 19, 2012
If anyone has any advice please help me and email me at mmarcus100 at yahoo
This discussion was closed by MedHelp moderators.