Anxiety Community
Anxiety related to dopamine deficiency?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety related to dopamine deficiency?

Can anxiety be related to other nuerotransmitters such as dopamine rather than serotonin which they say seems to be the stem of all problems (I couldnt disagree more)? The reason I ask this is I am an anxiety sufferer which at the age of 23 became problematic about a year ago. After seeking med. attn. I tried celexa, made me feel very awkward, worse anxiety/panic, episodes of derealization. I called my doctor to notify them and ask WTF was going on, only to them telling me it wasn't related to the med. and told me to up my dose. Well I didn't like that so much and after 6 weeks of being on it I tapered myself off and tried to tough out the anxiety. I found myself back at the doc. within a few months because I coudln't take it anymore, only to be put on another SSRI, this time lexapro, within 3 days that really "high" and awkward feeling came again and my new doc. told me to stop the med. Went to see a psych, had an evaluation, diagnosis adult ADD with anxiety/depression also adjustment disorder (gf just had my baby) My doc wanted to try me on adderall (adderrall) despite my anxiety, which I was completely scared to try, but to my surprise made my mood much better and decreases some anxiety. However, I still have a decent amount of anxiety, and sometimes the adderall (adderrall) sucks to be on if I'm having a more than usual stressful day. But it also cures my boredem and I don't have such racy thoughts while taking it. I just don't like the idea of being on adderall (adderrall), does anyone know of other meds that help with anxiety where SSRIS didn't work? Or any similar stories to share? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
If adderall (adderrall) makes you feel much better and helps relieve the anxiety then dopamine may be the issue.  If this is the case the amino acids tyrosine and phenylalanine help restore the body's natural supply of dopamine without the side effects that drugs give you.  Besides, drugs NEVER restore the brain back to normal... even scientists know this.  But the good news is that so many people who suffer from major mental illnesses (e.g. schizophrenia) turn out to have major vitamin and neurotransmitter deficiencies and imbalances.  I have the same problem, anxiety and panic creeped up on me suddenly in life.  Tried drugs, had the same reaction you did.  But I started taking supplements and the anxiety just about disappeared, and am working on smoking cessation, which may be attributed to my anxiety.  I urge you to go get tested for various underlying causes, such as: Histamine levels, pyroluria, food and chemical sensitivities, etc., all of which can cause major anxiety issues.  Conventional docs don't embrace the seriousness these imbalances can cause.  That is why you might need to see a doctor specializing in natural medicine to get these tests done... And on a side note, the book "Depression Free Naturally" has an entire chapter devoted to biochemical underpinnings to anxiety alone in addition to other problems (e.g. fatigue, depression, irritability/ anger), and includes symptomatic questionnaires .  Right now I am on an anti-anxiety supplemental program which can be found at healthrecovery.com, which has helped me a lot!  This is not an advertisement.  Good luck on your journey to wellness.
I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rough time.  I'm glad the adderal is starting to improve things for you a bit.  One thing I just wanted to mention to you...is regarding the SSRI's you tried...I don't know how long you were on them...but they take several weeks, if not over a month to really start doing their "job".  They DO have some pretty uncomfy side effects initially, as you described...an increase in anxiety, the jitters, etc...the good news is...they start to subside and improve usually after the first week or two.  Some people have even required a short term benzo, like Ativan or Xanax to help them thru the side effects.  A lot of people have real success though...once they get past the initial phase.  

I just wanted to mention that to you...as it is important to TRY to give any new med a chance to work....and I know it isn't easy.  

Also....supplements as mentioned above have been successful for a lot of people...just PLEASE be sure to run anything like that by your doc first...natural supplements can interact with prescription meds....or are just contraindicated for some patients.

Best of luck...and congrats on the new baby btw!!!!
Jade59 commented on CRSeaside's status
1 hr ago
melimeli commented on mhv's status
1 hr ago
Cincy513 commented on Salivary gland disord...
1 hr ago