Anxiety Community
Anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Anxiety

Hi there, I am new to this forum and I think you guys can help me more than my doc seems to be helping.

I am in University and I have had anxiety for over 10 years but have never received help for it. Trouble sleeping, breathing, concentrating and I have negative thoughts which my doctor attributes to anxiety.

Firstly, I recognize all of my symptoms as anxiety except for negative thoughts. For instance, when I'm doing a test I will start to tell myself (in my mind) to do bad on it or when I am exercising I will tell myself to be unhealthy and stop working out. Is this a normal part of severe anxiety?

Next, I am currently studying for my law school admission test but as you could probably guess, it is extremely hard with my anxiety. My brain can't concentrate on anything anymore, I space out and I feel like something is fogging up my focus. I can barely read one paragraph and understand it. My anxiety was really starting to affect my grades and my life, to the point where I couldn't even talk to people because I couldn't say what I was thinking, I couldn't find the words and I would get very confused. Anyway I've been seeing my school's doctor and for over a month, I have been taking Cipralex. Before this I was taking ativan which wasn't doing anything. I have been on 10mg of Cipralex for about a month now and I feel no difference. In fact, I feel worse. I have asked my doctor to please refer me to a psychiatrist but she refuses, she says she can only refer me inside the school to the counselor. I really want to see a psychiatrist and I feel so helpless.

I think I will need to quit trying to study for law school :(

Thx all for listening, any advice is better than none.
?
I think you should book and appointment with your family doctor and if you don't have one then get one.  I too have the same thoughts of you. But yeah I think a visit to the family doctor would turn out good and hopefully with a refferal to a psychiatrist.
Thx for the advice, I already have a family doctor, the issue is she wont refer me to a psychiatrist. When i go to a walk-in doctor, they say only your family doctor can refer you...& changing would be another long road since we are very short in family doctors here. (I live in Toronto, Canada)
Why not let her refer you to the counselor?  Perhaps the counselor will agree with you, recommend a Psych visit and tell it to your doctor.  It's worth a try...
Perhaps getting 'loud and angry' with your doctor, telling her you need help NOW will convey your desire in terms she better understands.
The Cipralex may very well start 'kicking in' soon and you will start feeling better.
Could you not make an appointment with a psychiatrist on your own directly?
I hope things work out for you, let us know.
If there is any possible way, see a good psychiatrist and make sure you are on the right meds.! Be patient with the process because it is trial and error. I would  at least try the school counselor, maybe she can help in some way. I cannot focus on any kind of reading material while anxious, I get what you're saying! Studchick
TTinKKerBBell commented on recovering please wai...
1 hr ago
jugglin commented on photo
jemma116 commented on photo