Anxiety Community
Anyone have a good experience with Prozac?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I have been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, as well as panic disorder. I currently take Klonopin for the panic disorder, but was just prsecribed Prozac to help with my general anxiety. I have tried other SSRIs like Lexapro, but always had terrible dise effects. Has anyone had a good/bad experience with Prozac? What is the SSRI that typically produces the mildest side effects? I'm getting really tired of constantly switching meds, Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Tags: prozac
I have personally had a good experience with Prozac.  Now, of course...I also had a lot of luck with Zoloft and Lexapro as well.  I WILL say that the side effects of Prozac were much less severe and noticeable than the other two...I hardly had any side effects at all.  Prozac is notorious for being easier to tolerate than some of the other AD's.

I hope that you do well on the Prozac.  If you do experience some mild side effects...try to ride it out, they start to subside fairly quickly and then eventually dissipate all together.  With these meds, you often have to feel worse before you feel better.  People with GAD have had great success with SSRI type meds, it is often a first line treatment, so please give it a chance.

Don't get hung up on other people's horror stories.  It's fine to ask for input and for others to share their experiences, but just remember that what was one person's nightmare could be the next person's miracle.

Please let us know how you are doing,
Avatar n tn
My prozac use is for PMDD and GAD. I have great response for the PMDD. However I am constantly overwhelmed with panic still. Numerous times a day.
Thanks for the input. I'm on day three of taking the medicine, and so far the only thing I really notice is that I'm feeling alot more energetic.....which in a way is good, until I try to go sleep at night. I'm hoping this wired feeling will pass soon.
Are u still on prozac? If so, how is it going? I've been on for about a week and freaking out a little. Pls let me know how it's going.
I have just recently started having anxiety/ panic attacks. It was usually around my cycle  that it seemed worse. This month, however, it has not let up! My gp put me on klonopin .5mg twice a day. then my ob/gyn says i need as ssri which is prozac. I'm really nervous about taking these/any meds. So far no side effects from prozac day 4. the klonopin does help too. I only take .25mg in the daytime because of it making me sleepy. Does anyone have any idea why anxiety hits all of the sudden. I have great marriage kids are fine. Just really confused as to why this is happening!! Thoughts please!
I took Prozac since the 1980's and my depressional episodes really debilitated me and my desire was to feel real moods again.  I had a very disconnected childhood; sexual, physical and psychological abuse that left me even wondering if there would be a day when I could flush away all the mysterious fears I was experiencing.  I had an impossible time being social with people, i.e. after work on Friday, I would buy 2 Deli sandwiches and go to my apartment and not leave until my work shift Monday a.m.  Somehow the week passed by and I'd repeat my Friday stop at the Deli, stay inside, very moody, sleep all day long and drag myself up to go to work Monday,     ugghh   One job I worked at The Holiday Inn and there were no Holidays to speak of, worked cleaning up the Lobby after drunken people totally trashed the Lobby, had to clean the restrooms, disgusting job, and when it was humid in the Summer, I'd dash home, shower for 3/4 of an hr. and plop on my bed.  I'm getting to the point of what's goin on now with me, I am no longer suicidal-which I was all the years I took Prozac; I stopped Prozac in 6/2015, cold turkey, didn't care about any side effects, and friend asked me to try Maca Root, it's Ginseng from Peru.  Well here it is Nov. 2015 and I am a newbie when it comes to laughing; being organized, eating the right foods-I am diabetic- and being depressed I never knew HOW to take care of myself let alone a family member or even a Betta Fish.  When I would go back into depression I always told my best girlfriend, she knew cause I didn't email for 2 mos. at a time, and would only write 3 lines and end the email; she told me last month she cried everytime I told her I was depressed again.  She's the friend who always called me 2:00 a.m. and if I answered my phone; she knew I hadn't commited suicide at least for that night.  Everyone has the answers inside of themselves-it's not a picnic forcing life back into your heart and soul. The world's a scary place; it was worse for me on Prozac.
Jade59 Whatever... Comment
1 hr ago
MH Community Mgr is off for the night. Comment
10356 commented on 10356's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms