Anxiety Community
Anyone stopped their meds and experienced withdrawal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I recently stopped my Klonopin and Wellbutrin that I take for anxiety. I stopped cold turkey because I am trying to have a baby and both are dangerous. Has anyone successfully stopped their meds? I am having a hard time with the anxiety and it is making it very had to do my job. I feel like I stare at my computer  A LOT. Does it get any easier? Today is only day 6 of no meds.
Oh geex honey...you need to get to your OB asap!!!  While most definitely some meds are not safe to take during pregnancy, they should NEVER EVER ne stopped cold turkey, that is VERY dangerous.  Your baby goes through w/d right along with you!  You need to talk with your doctor and allow him/her to guide you with a safe taper!!!

Call your doctor NOW!  Please let us know what the outcome is, and when you're going in to see your doctor.  Hopefully they will make you come in right away.  PLEASE do not put this off.  Stopping these meds cold turkey could actually be more dangerous during your pregnancy than taking them.  Call them asap!

Anxious to hear back from you!
Hi mom------i agree totally about the danger of stopping CT. And Right Now you need to see` or talk to your doctor. Or her nurse---you do have a female doctor? You could contact a women's clinic?  
   First thing ---CALL SOMEONE NOW!  And let us know you did.
    Something else i want to mention is how much strength and Love you have shown by enduring 6 days with no meds. Not easy to do! I think you are going to be a really good mother and i am sure your baby will be just fine. And lucky to have you.      omhome

Hi there and I agree with nursegirl.  It really is hard to stop your meds in the way you did.  When doing that, so important to do so under a doctor's supervision.  Your prescribing physician for the wellbutrin/klonopin is a really good place to start.  You can tell them that you wish to begin trying for a baby and want to wean off medication and they'll be able to help you.  Hopefully you are still seeing a therapist for the anxiety.  If you took a break from that, now is a good time to start again.  Talk therapy is really helpful for a clinical diagnosis of anxiety.  I would also be mindful of what triggers anxiety with you and work out a plan on how to deal with that.  

I found that the period of trying to conceive was a bit anxiety provoking in and of itself as it didn't happen right away from me.  That is really normal if you begin to experience that.  

Hang in there---  but do see your doctor to discuss how to wean from the medication and to do so the best way to minimize side effects.  good luck dear and happy baby making.  
Thanks guys! I told my OB when I saw her for removing my mirena. I didn't tell her I stopped cold turkey, just that I was off of them. I'm not pregnant yet (that I know of), but isn't it just hard but not necessarily dangerous? I've heard that the first 1-5 days after meds are the hardest and then the WD symptoms begin to get better. I will say that today is easier than the past few.
I've never seen a psychiatrist, always my doctor who's internal medicine. He prescribes them for me. Psychiatrists make me nervous ha
I apologize, hon...I thought that you ARE currently pregnant!!  Okay....well, a LITTLE less sense of urgency, but STILL definitely do this with the help of your doctor...and check in with him/her asap.  

It's NEVER a good idea to stop these meds abruptly...Klonopin espcially.  Stopping benzodiazepines cold turkey can lead to seizures and other risks.

You're very smart to address this BEFORE you get pregnant, but PLEASE do it the right way.  Sorry for any confusion!!
That is okay :) It's "funny" because I've never been able to identify a trigger for it either. Sometimes I wake up with that familiar tight and panicked feeling in my chest, other days it may hit me sitting on the couch watching tv. If I could better identify the triggers maybe it would be easier to manage without medication. :/ I suffered from what I think to be extreme paranoia during my first pregnancy, and I think that that is what developed into the anxiety I know deal with.
Often hormonal imbalances produce mental distress, doctors treat it with brain drugs, and the problem never gets fixed.  This has been going on for years.  If this started with a pregnancy it's very possible you had hormonal fluctuations you needed to tend to (naturally, hopefully) which those drugs don't do.  It's always important to eliminate possible physiological causes before assuming one has a mental health problem.  But otherwise, never quit benzos cold turkey.  Wellbutrin doesn't have a bad reputation for quitting and it doesn't really treat anxiety, it treats depression by stimulating the system, but Klonopin is one of the more difficult to just quit.  Actually you seem to be doing well, but please listen to the others and talk to a psychiatrist about how to do this correctly.  Good luck.  
Hm.  Hormones and brain issues are often intertwined.  For example---  I had mild depression and hypothryoidism causing hormonal issues.  There were questions about which one to treat.  We worked on the mild depression and my thyroid and hormones regulated.  They are very intertwined and that is why doctors treat the way they do often.  good luck to the poster.

good luck to the poster
thanks guys! i had my thyroid and hormones checked around the time i began the medicine and all was normal. i wish it was physical. thanks for the responses!
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Paxiled commented on The Dark Side of ...
HollowFeelings joined this community
Welcome them!