Back on Cipralex (Lexapro)
Well i'm on day 3 of a 2nd try at taking Lexapro on the advice of my physician. Last time the increase from 5 mg to 10mg after two days caused intense side effects that made me stop taking it. This time I am taking a much slower increase 5 mg for first week, then to 10mg to try and reduce the impact of the symptoms but I can tell after 3 days I am a bit more aggitated, nervous, anxious but nothing like last time. Also last time I was really against taking medication.. now... i'm ok with it.... my doc said if you have a cold you take something to minimize the symptoms... in a way this is the same thing.

I am wondering how long these "adapting" side effects typically last before my body gets used to the drug? I am hearing a week to two weeks for the side effects and then 4-6 weeks before the therapeutic effect of the drug to start really kicking in.  

I have suspended all my business travel for one month to give this a chance to work so hoping for the best. I will say that already i feel less "nervous" emotionally....its almost like my mind is getting calmer but my body is still agitated. Don't know if that's possible after only 3 days but it feels that way.

sorru i dont have an answer....im hoping things are getting better for you...

i just did my first upping of a dose yesterday.....things are ok....i think lol....posted some stuff on my post if you want to read....

take care....keep us updated...

hope someone answers your question soon!
Thanks everyone.... your encouragement has been a big help... i took the 12.5 MG today and will continue that over the weekend and look at going up to 15 mg next week....i'm sticking in there... havent had to have a Klonopin for one week now but still have some if I need it..... going back to the gym has been a HUGE move forward for me... feeling overall much better....still dealing with some symptoms but my psychologist really helped yesterday when explained to me that YOU (meaning me) are the one creating the anxiety over your anxiety....that's why when I wake up in the morning initially I feel fine and then within 5-10 minutes all the symptoms come back... he said I am creating it subconsciously and that the minute I recognize that I can learn to control it and not fear it..... can't emphasize enough the importance of therapy with these meds... there is no miracle pill....its a combo of things that I think really maked the difference.....
do you have trouble sleeping on this med?.....i seem to be having trouble with the zoloft

congrats!!!.....keep it up!....your giving me GREAT hope doll!
Sleeping has been a bit more difficult but not that bad... i got to the gym at night and tire myself out and it really helps me fall asleep... i wasnt a good sleeper even before this happened so no real significant difference that I can see....
Day 24 - Definitely felt an increase in the jitteryness yesterday moving up to 12.5 from 10mg but nothing I needed to take a Klonopin to counteract....so decided to do as doc suggested and alternate so today only did 10 mg this morning and tomorrow will do 12.5 again and then try 12.5 on sunday and then try the move up to 15 by mid next week. Start travelling for work again next weekend so would like to be up to 15 before I leave....I am sensitive to this medication and to dose changes so trying to minimize those effects the best I can.....
Sounds good CG!
yea its weird this jitty feeling.....feels like your insides are shaking??

happened to me since i upped the dose......makes me feel crazy!....i had to take a xanax today
yeah.... just that feeling again like i drank too much coffee is the best way to describe it..... i went back to 10 mg today and going back up to 12.5 tomorrow then back to 10 on sunday then up to 12.5 on monday and then 15 on tuesday, 12.5 on wed, 15 on thurs, 12.5 on Friday then try to be up to 15 by next saturday..... see how it goes...... doing my best to try and minimize the shock to the system.....
Day 26 - a 12.5 mg day today... felt a bit edgier but nothing i couldnt handle... was a bit aggravated this morning... but went to the gym and worked it off and all was ok..... gonna try to stay at 12.5 now until tuesday and go up to 15 mg......have a great weekend everyone
Oh another update... I am transferring my medical care for anxiety to a psychiatrist and away from my GP. I honestly feel I can't trust her with this anymore and that we have reached the pinnacle of her understanding and knowledge. In our last session, after I told her I was in to see the psychiatrist she almost got defensive and kept insisting that her plan for me (to increase my meds) was the right plan.....maybe it is but she seems too personally attached to this now and I need objectivity... when I told her that if I didnt see some significant results and a complete absense of side effects by the beginning of september that I wanted to come off the drugs and was not willing to take anymore she again became very defensive...... so I think that now that I have access to a psychiatrist (which is now free under our universal health care in Canada since i was referred) I will move my care to someone who has specialised in this and specialised in the dispensing of these type of drugs.. and keep my GP for sore throats and sprained ankles.... what they are most experienced in.....
It is good that you are having a psychiatrist taking over your care.  I personally do not have that but since I have been down this road before, I did not feel that I needed one.  I went in and told my GP EXACTLY what I needed.   I even contacted my psychiatrist from last time (who works where I work but does not take my insurance!) and he said that if I needed CBT then I had to go to a psychologist, that he does not do it.  So you will get medication management from most psychiatrists and talk therapy.  I'm not saying that all psychiatrists do not do CBT but most do not.  You have probably learned all the CBT you need anyway.  

Your doctor was defensive because she feels she has done her very best for you and now you are kind of saying she has not in this regard.  Nobody likes to hear that.  Plus she knows that coming off the medication is a major mistake.  You have come so far with it.  

Anyway, I hope that the psyc doctor makes you feel more comfortable and comes up with a plan that works for you.  You really have come a long, long way from your original posts.  
Yeah don't get me wrong.. I like my GP but I am feeling like she is loosing her objectivity and so I need to be under the care of someone that is not trying to prove something. I am giving the meds the best shot and am committed to the process but I need an open mind and a doctor with an open mind in the event that at the end of this process it proves not to have worked for me.... yeah I have come a long way but I am still not back to where I was in terms of anxiety levels before this all started and that, as my GP put it, is the goal. Maybe that will come with more time, which I am willing to give but maybe it won't and I need that objectivity in the event that it doesn't.... As far as the CBT goes.... I am still seeing my psychologist for that.
I second going with a psychiatrist. For me, knowing that the person is versed in these drugs is key, because it helps me trust them. If I don't trust the doc, then I may not trust the drug, and then I myself won't be objective.
CG, I think that is a great move!  Many GPs can handle Rxing meds for anxiety and depression, but when someone has more complex issues, especially a person like you who is sensitive to meds, a p-doc is the way to go.  A few things your PCP has recommended along the way I haven't been crazy about.  For one, she seemed to want to encourage you to make changes before truly giving this enough time, even if it is a little longer than typical.  

It is actually pretty common for a person to have more side effects the second (or third) time around with the same med.  I've experienced that myself.  When I would resume a prior medication, I would have to be a little extra patient and stick it out a bit longer.  I just didn't like that your doc was wanting to try something else before exhausting all possibilities with THIS med!  I also am not 100% sure of her recommendation with the step ups in your dose.  That isn't a common way to handle it, and while it may work just fine, it just seemed odd to me.

You're doing the right thing.  You'll get a fresh perspective from a new doc and have someone who deals with this day in and day out help you make the right decisions about meds.

I know it seems like forever, but like I said...you aren't even at your goal dose yet.  Realistically, a person should give the med 4-6+ weeks from reaching the goal dose to assess its effectiveness, not from the very first day of starting the medication.  It may seem like an eternity, but looking at the big picture, it really isn't that long at all.

Keep us informed...I think this is going to be a great thing.  And, don't worry about your PCP, if she DOES feel slighted, she'll get over it.  Some docs have to work on being able to accept that their patient may require the care of a different doctor or specialist to get the most optimal outcome.  IMO, there isn't room for egos from doctors when it comes to doing the right thing, unfortunately it's commonplace to come accross that.  She'll move past that, and if she doesn't or is giving you weird vibes about it...find a new doctor.

Keep up the great work...you've come a long way, even if you can't always see it.  Just read this thread from start to finish.  From a 3rd person's viewpoint, your progress is apparent.
Thanks for the comment.... like i said i do like her but I'm getting the vibe that she is too vested in this being "her plan for me" quote. It should be my plan for me with her objective support... i have to trust in my doctor to be objective and not committed to one outcome or the other - the only outcome she should be committed to is my getting better. If she believes a certain course of action is the right one then I expect her to recommend but not try to SELL IT and not immediately brush off EVERYTHING to anxiety which is what she is doing now... I have arthritic pain in my finger joints now that I have been going back to the gym (something I did not have before this all started by the way) and she basically brushed it off when i showed her....anxiety doesnt cause arthritis....but she wasn't even interested in looking at it..... also she was the one that told me a psychiatrist would never see me but made the referral anyway and was so suprised when they called .... and the psychiatrist was surprised that my GP told me a psychiatrist would never see me.....she's too vested in this so I need to remove her from that process and work with a doctor on this that is experienced, objective and supportive.....the psychiatrist seemed like that doctor when i met her.....
hey CG how you feeling?.....is it getting easier?
Well i haven't had to take a klonopin in almost 2 weeks but still more jittery than normal but I would say overall its better than 10 days ago.... i'm at 12.5 MG a day of Lexapro now.... going to do another dose increase this week but may wait until I see the psychiatrist later this week as I am going to request to have my care transferred to her and away from my GP.
How are you doing?
Day 28 - almost a month now!  Back to going to the gym in the morning before work and it feels great! Getting the old routine back. Today I see the psychiatrist to discuss transferring my anxiety care away from my GP and to her. I really feel that this is the best move for me but we will see what she says.

I have stayed at the 12.5mg dose of Lexapro today again pending my discussion with her before I make the final jump to 15mg which was were my GP wanted me.

Tomorrow it will be 2 weeks since i have had to take a klonopin..... feeling pretty good about that......

Like I told turkee, there are a lot of subtle improvements you probably don't even notice yet.  Like, for both of you...you aren't posting nearly as often about the sensations you are having.  You can easily see the changes when reading your threads from start to finish, especially from an outsider's POV.  Also, both of you are needing the anti-anxiety meds less and less.

I think going with the p-doc is the right move, but discuss it and go from there.  You seem to be doing well and making strides all the time, therefore if you decide to stick it out with your PCP for now, I think you'd do fine.  It's not a decision you have to make right away.  There are many things to look at....how you LIKE each doc and your comfort level with them...how you perceive their knowledge of these meds, especially with you being sensitive.  Also, you may have to take into consideration any possible cost issues, and ease of getting appointments and the availability of the doc.  You need to look at the things about each doc that are important to you and then weigh out the pros and cons of each MD.

I'm so very happy you're seeing progress!  I know it's a long road, but look!  Already almost at the month mark!  That's awesome!!!!
Well I still have sensations but they are more manageable now..... still have jitteryness but again nothing like before... tingling sensations in my legs but not like before. What I have developed though is pain in my finger joints ever since I started going back to the gym and the joint near the nail on several of my fingers is a bit swollen. I'm 49 so my GP said she doesnt think its arthritis but I never had it this bad before all this anxiety and tingling sensations and stuff started happening.... maybe just age... i don't know but I know anxiety doesn't cause arthritis..but she wasn't interested in looking any further into it.

Fortunately in Canada, once you are referred to a psychiatrist by your GP and they accept you there is no charge under our universal health care system so cost is not an issue. But yes I will listen to what she has to say and then make a decision. I just feel she is so wrapped up in everything being anxiety related that she has lost her objectivity and with that I in turn have downgraded my trust level in her and that doesn't make for a comfortable situation for me. So if I remove her from that process then hopefully I can have her concentrate on non-anxiety related things that come up..... and if that doesn't work I can march my medical records over to another GP.....
The pain in your finger joints is most likely related to something you are doing at the gym.  I am 47 or will be in a few days and I did P90X and now I apparently have some sort or rotator cuff problem that I now have to go get looked at.  I played softball into my 30s and racquet ball into my early 40s and P90X took me down...We aren't spring chickens anymore!  But in any case, certainly bring it up to your new doc.  Best of luck and glad you are feeling much better.  
Well met with the psychiatrist and she has agreed to take me as a patient so I am moving over and will let my GP know this week that my counselling and medications will now be monitored and dispensed by the psych...... feeling good about that decision
Yay!  Glad you made the decision!!  I think it will be a positive move!  :0)
Glad to hear you're doing well. Happy to hear that the new psych is taking you on as a patient!

I appreciated your suggestion to incorporate some exercise back into my life, but I haven't figured out how or when yet. I wake up so jittery that I need to drink a protein shake right away, and then I feel a bit better. But my stomach isn't too happy then. Hard to exercise when your stomach is full and upset! I'll have to see if I can figure out another time to do it.
Even light exercise to start... go for a walk or if you have access to a treadmill that can work as well....it really made a difference for me....
Its day 30! One month... wow.... I never thought I would make it just a few weeks back. I am up to 15 mg of Lexapro today... feeling good after an hour and a half workout at the gym this morning. Finger joints will prob hurt later today but whatever.... the price for trying to stay healthy in your 40's I guess......
congrats!!!!!.........wow 30 days!....im almost there day 21 for me....3 weeks today and im shocked i made it this far.

glad to see we could all do this together!!!....xoxoxo
Keep up the good work Turkee23..... hopefullty you're starting to feel the side effects start to dissipate.... yeah its nice to share the experiences on here. I don't think without the support of everyone on here I would have stuck it out this long.....so hopefully anyone else starting out or considering whether or not to start will benefit from our chronicles....
Day 31 - really feeling good today... my symptoms are defintely dissipating.... I really believe getting back to the gym everyday has made a HUGE difference...it took a month people.. so if you're not at a month and still feeling like you can't make it... hold out..... its like it literally kicks in in a matter of days and you start to feel better..... and to everyone who said "stick it out" you were right!! and thank you
good for you!!!.....i have to admit i been feeling MUCH MUCH better myself and thanks to all of you i stuck with it too.....its awesome!
I hate to say it but....

WE TOOOOOOLD YA SO!!!!

:0)
hahah....yes you did.... but its hard to believe it when you feel like you are crawling out of your skin.... they gotta figure out a way to make these meds not put you through that hell in the beginning... hopefully someone is working on that.....
Oh I know CG!  I've been there many times, and it was not the most pleasant thing in the world.  I can see why a lot of people throw in the towel, but sadly, they never get to really see the wonderful changes these meds can bring.

I'm just glad you guys have shared your tales!
today been kind of a set back....feeling jittery today...not as bad but its there!....makes me wanna cry....i havent taken a xanax in 6 days and i feel like is hould...its day 23...uggggggg i dont want a set back!!!......can someone go respond to my post, i put the same thing.....
Thats ok Turkee I had one setback too at day 16/17 and I was pretty upset about it but it reset... its alright to have a setback day.....take the xanax if you need it.... you prob won't tomorrow or the day after.....
I feel like we made it! I am feeling so much better, so much more like myself. I still have to increase my dose a few times, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Glad you can, too.
Sorry I havent posted for a few days... been travelling for work.... feeling really good... most side effects are gone now... find it a bit harder to sleep at night than i used to but other than that.... everything else feels fine.... so yeah.... everything is good.....
YAY!  Awesome!

Keep in touch!
OMG it is so nice to read something positive on here right now.  It just seems like there has been a run on anxiety today and it is bringing me down with so many people suffering.  I'm glad we don't have to count you in that group anymore....welcome to the other side of the fence!  
Hey all... heading home today after a week on the road.... everything seems to have pretty stabilized and im feeling good..... seeing psychiatrist tomorrow for a check in appt and to get more meds.... but yeah seems i have lept over the "fence" and it feels good on the other side.....
Great Job CanuckGuy42,

It's been pretty rough for me (minor ups and huge downs this past month) but you give me hope.  

I'm on Prozac 20mg and Klonopin 1mg x2 (4th week, started at 10mg and .5 for a week then to the current dosage) and I don't know if it's working or not because I always feel anxious in the morning, depressed in the afternoon, and better at night (although not "myself").  Prozac 40mg gave me too much of a down (extreme depression) so I went down to 20mg again.  Hopefully I get the same results as you though.

Well,  keep up the good work and good luck maintaining both your physical and mental health (and spiritual if you're religious) :)
HI, your path seems like mine. I have been on Lexapro for over 5 years with amazing results. On Chrsitmas Day I got hit with depression/anxiety. My psy had me up my dose from 20 to 30mg. it has been 6 days and have seen alittle improvement. How long have you noticed it took to see better results from the upped dosage?
Thank you so much for this posting! I am on day seven and feeling upset over the side effects and set backs. You give me hope. I hope you are still doing well!!
I have read canuckguy42's posts and they have given me some hope. I am on day 6 of taking lexapro 10mg tabs and my anxiety seems horrible. I am agitated, irritable and find myself so emotional. I find it hard to socialize or enjoy others companying. However, I also, feel like I am scared to the point I want someone with me all the time. These feelings suck and feel more intense since I started taking the meds. But, I am hoping they are just side effects that I will work through in the next few weeks. Has anyone else had similar feelings?
I have just been increased to 15 mg. of cipralex for obsessive thoughts, and I'm rather spacey and tired today.  It's so frustrating I was on 10 mg for two months and went off as I was feeling well ~big mistake!  I've now been back on since Jan 16. I'm finding it extremely frustrating with the side effects.  I'm focusing on it continually, it's taken over my life as I'm not feeling well.  Can I expect better results being on the 15.

I'd appreciate any feed back!
yes I've had similar feelings.  You are correct the meds magnify the feelings.  I had those symptoms for a month.  I just found out from my therapist I was on a maintenance dose, of 10 mg. Had I been on a higher dosage I probably would've felt better.  It's been hell, as my Dr. just put me on the A.D.'s and explained nothing!
I am on day 3 of 5mg of cipralex and I feel awful.  I need to know that this gets better.  Iam very agitated and crying in the morning.  Headachy and no interest in doing my normal stuff.  Please tell me it gets better!
Thanks so much!
Hey hon.  I've replied on the thread you started!
Hello all,

Wondering if theres anyone on here that has been taking Lexapro for a while? I recently switched from Celexa - have been on Lexapro for 4 weeks. The initial increased anxiety has disappeared and I'm now feeling much more stable i.e. it's working! The only problem is that I'm dead tired all the time. This started during week 3 and is starting to drive me crazy - I could literally sleep all day and sometimes when I try to walk I feel really weak and unsteady. I'm not sure if these side effects will go away or if I should consider switching to something else?
Hi I started lexapro this was day 2 & the side effects are just too much for me to handle sick stomach, nausea, light headedness which i do get at times, & I'm hyper had to take a xanax to calm down
Iam going to stick with my half a xanax when I need it & try some natural choices I am into a very healthy life style & I run on my treadmill & work out which is a big help
Tomorrow I am going to my thereapist to discuss trying natural ways
I have heard such wonderful things from people on Lexapro I just am very sensitive to alot of medicines